1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2010 9:52 AM by 677022 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
        sqldeveloper-1.5.4.59.40 password expiration does not work.

Password expiration works with 1.53 works, but buggy, and 11g client.
        • 16. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
          SueHarper
          That's not entirely accurate. You do not state your OS or Database release. Features vary depending on the database release, and platform and without
          these, it's more difficult to trace the problem. I am working with Oracle Database 11g and have no issues. The handling of password expiration was changed in 1.5.4. to fix the issues encountered in earlier releases. The change now means that when a password expires, which is handled by the database, you can reset the password using the Reset Password menu item in SQL Developer. This is only enabled if OCI is available. (You can use the thin driver in your connection). Note that when the password expires and you try to connect, you get an error message, stating that the password has expired.

Beyond that, if there are specifics that you are encountering, please post the details on the forum and we can address them.

Regards
          Sue
          • 17. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
            John McGinnis-Oracle
            Keith,

Thank you for reporting this problem. I have taken a look at the bug filed by Support and I will be seeing if I can reproduce it here on the development systems.

- John McGinnis
            SQL Developer Team
            • 18. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
              I am running 11gR1 client on XP SP3 connecting to 10.2.0.4 database on Solaris 10.

I downloaded Oracle SQL Developer for Windows. (This zip file includes the JDK 1.5.0_06)
              (104 M)

It does not work out of the box or DOA.

I have been long waiting for the option as the users have been changing expired using SQL*Plus.

I would be delighted if you show me what I need to do to make it work.
              • 19. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                -K-
                Did you try using the client's driver (see post 2)?

K.
                • 20. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                  John,

I would be interested in your response to Keith as we are experiencing the same issue here. When a users is set to password expire and we connect with SQL Developer 1.5.4, we get the password expired message. We then select Reset Password and get a 'ORA-01017 invalid username/password; logon denied' message.

Thanks,

Peter
                  • 21. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                    The Reset Password dialog box appears not to be sending the Username as a response. I have a bug logged (8462868) for this issue. My OWC session summary is as below:
                    OWC Summary

The problem occurs for SQL Developer connections that do not have username stored. The problem does not occur for those connections that do have the username stored. This is exactly what the Developer in bug 8460869 meant.

Problem is that the username from the reset password dialog is not used. We proved this by successfully resetting a named connection's password (SQL Developer connection that has a username stored) even after we changed the username in the reset password dialog box!

Proof:
                    Suppose you have two database users, A and B.
                    You create a connection 'test' with user A.
                    You connect using this connection for user A.
                    Now you disconnect, and the invoke the reset password menu.
                    Here you change the suggested user from A to B.
                    You fill in the old password from A (!) and a new password.
                    The password reset succeeds (!) for user A (!!).
                    Even if you specified user B in the reset password menu.

When you want to reset user B's password, using connection 'test', you cannot just change the populated 'A' into 'B' in the reset password menu. It looks like you need to be connected to the database first. In other words, connect using 'test', using user 'B'. After that, the last user is somehow remembered by SQL Developer. It is this username that is populated in the reset password menu. And it is this account that will be used in the password reset.

As a consequence, you cannot reset expired passwords this way because you always need a successful connect before the correct username is populated in the reset password menu.

(I was able to reset an expired password using a named connection created for the specific user, before connecting once, however.)

All this makes it impossible for Alan to distribute multiple SQL Developer installations to multiple end users and multiple PCs without having to pre-create all possible named SQL Developer connections ...

Agreed that I update the bug, and that Alan will check the SQL Developer forum to see how others deal with similar scenarios.

Has anyone found the same issue as me with this?
                    • 22. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                      A further update:
                      Bug 8460869 is accepted as a bug by Development.
                      The bug is scheduled to be fixed by 2.1.
                      Global Customer Services tested this in 2.0.0.61.32 but the issue persisted.
                      • 23. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                        A cascade problem, which I believe also needs attention:
                        1) SQL Developer said: "pw expired" [no option to change, as noted earlier]
                        2) I open Toad to change the PW [I know, I know...but I still need Toad for some things like "export" without quotes]
                        3) After changing it, I return to Developer to reset it in the connection properties
                        4) Left click on connection (oops)...Developer attempts to connect a few times.
                        5) Right click to access properties...Developer attempts to connect a few times.
                        6) Property sheet comes up, but by now the account is locked because developer banged away with the wrong PW too many times.

While our lockout policy may be ultra-conservative I'm sure it's at least "5 failures". Since I didn't click 5 things in the UI (and for those that I did click I'd not have expected a login attempt) I suggest there are spurrious and superfluous login attempts.

This is more than a nusiance because getting the account reset has a several hour response time in my neck of the woods.
                        • 24. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                          -K-
                          Oh yes, you're right it's a nuisance that sqldev tries to connect several times in a row, especially when having to click away errors every time.

K.
                          • 25. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                            -K-
                            The "Reset Password" entry never enables in my 1.5.5. I get the expired message, but no go after OKing the dialog.
                            That's both on basic and TNS connections, using the thin driver.
                            Does this work for anyone?

Thanks,
                            K.
                            • 26. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                              SueHarper
                              Does your install have access to the OCI? Even if you're using the thin driver, it needs the OCI for the reset option.

Sue
                              • 27. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                                -K-
                                D'oh! Only have 9i and 10g clients, so I guess I won't be using this soon...

Thanks anyway,
                                K.
                                • 28. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                                  Steeve
                                  Sue Harper, what do you mean by: Does your install have access to the OCI? Even if you're using the thin driver, it needs the OCI for the reset option.

I have the following setup on a windows xp machine:
                                  Oracle Database 11g Release 1 Client (11.1.0.6.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)
                                  Oracle SQL Developer 2.1.0.62, the one with JDK1.6._11 , 129megs

What exactly do I need to do in sql developer to make sure sql developer prompts me for a new password?

Regards,

Steeve
                                  • 29. Re: Password expires and no option to change it
                                    -K-
                                    As mentioned above: Tools | Preferences | Advanced Parameters and check the Use OCI/Thick Driver.

Hope that works,
                                    K.