3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2009 11:09 AM by 681560 RSS

Summary page creation and list manager view

Hello,
      I'm trying to create a "summary" page based on an existing form page and I have two questions:

- is it possibile to create the summary page according to the regions included on the original page? When I create a summary page the system allows me to import the fields from all regions in just one new region, and not to just replicate the regions structure of the original page as I think anyone expects

- I have one field in the original form which is a list manager based on lov. On the summary this field doesn't work correctly: if the field contains just one item it works, showing the description of the item, otherwise (two or more items) it shows up just two parenthesis: []

Thanks.

Eugenio

Apex 3.2
        • 1. Re: Summary page creation and list manager view
          Doug A. Gault
          Eugenio,

I'll try to answer your questions in order...
          user1342238 wrote:
          - is it possibile to create the summary page according to the regions included on the original page? When I create a summary page the system allows me to import the fields from all regions in just one new region, and not to just replicate the regions structure of the original page as I think anyone expects
          The answer to your question is a qualified "Yes". As you've pointed out, the Summary Page Wizard is set up to gather the items from a designated page and place them in a single region on the summary page. However, a summary page is nothing more than a page containing fields referencing the data that was entered on another page and that is currently active within the session state. The Summary Page wizard simply tries to make it easier to create such a page without having to go through the manual steps... If you you want multiple regions that match exactly to the ones on the page being referenced, you can always create the summary page manually. There's no "magic" to a summary page, so you don't have to worry about missing anything.

user1342238 wrote:
          - I have one field in the original form which is a list manager based on lov. On the summary this field doesn't work correctly: if the field contains just one item it works, showing the description of the item, otherwise (two or more items) it shows up just two parenthesis: []
          This is happening because, when APEX puts the multiple selections into session state, it does so as an array of values. There are a couple of ways to approach this. One is to access the array directly, extract the values and display them on your page in the way you want.

The second (and far easier) is to change the field type on your summary page to LIST MANAGER (View Only) and APEX will do the work for you, displaying the same list as was on the original page, but without the ability add or delete from the list.

Hope That Helps,

- Doug -

http://sumnertech.com/
          • 2. Re: Summary page creation and list manager view
            Hi Doug and thanks for your reply.

For the first question, I meant automatically; I know that I can do it manually but it seemed strange to me that there isn't any way to automatically create in the summary page the same regions and fields structure of the form page...I think it's the most common use, isn't it?

For the second question, I tried to switch to list manager (view only) but it doesn't work: I can see now both the items selected but just theri IDs and not the descriptions; of course IDs in a summary page are useless.

Eugenio
            • 3. Re: Summary page creation and list manager view
              Is there any best practice for this?

Could be solved maybe using a text field (in the summary page) having as source a sql or pl/sql query? Can you show me the correct road about how to get a list of descriptions from the list manager ids?

Thanks.

Eugenio