This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2009 5:34 AM by 719294 RSS

Java Embedding activity and Java type-in support

domdebailleux Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We dont get Java type-in support in the (basic...uh...very basic) editor which is behind the Java Embedding activity.
This doesn't help coding, especially when you try to guess what is behind the BPELXExecLet class (the documentation doesn't really help).

Is this feature planned for the 11g release ? (notepad coding inside jdev would make me laugh if I hadn't to use it).

I know, I can copy my classe inside another java project in order to check it but it's a little "heavy".

Dominique
  • 1. Re: Java Embedding activity and Java type-in support
    15262 Newbie
    Dominique,

No changes are planned for 11, the Java Embedding activity will stay as it is. The intention is not that people put large amounts of code there. It was intended for small, short utility operations. If you're putting business logic in there you may want to consider changing the design, perhaps to call out to an EJB service, for example.

> (notepad coding inside jdev would make me laugh if I hadn't to use it).

It is far superior to Notepad: comments are in a grey color. ;)

Incidentally when the BPEL design tool was Eclipse-based, it was the same thing. It's independent of the underlying IDE.

> This doesn't help coding, especially when you try to guess what is behind the
    BPELXExecLet class (the documentation doesn't really help).

The recommended practice is to develop your code in a separate Java project (where you have full Java editing capabilities), then jar it up, include it in your BPEL project, and simply call your method from the Java Embedding activity.

Create a new library -- I call mine BPEL -- with the following classes:
    SOA_HOME/bpel/lib/orabpel.jar
    SOA_HOME/bpel/lib/j2ee_1.3.01.jar
    SOA_HOME/bpel/lib/orabpel-common.jar
    SOA_HOME/j2ee/home/lib/oc4j-internal.jar
    SOA_HOME/opmn/lib/optic.jar
    SOA_HOME/bpel/lib/xmlparserv2.jar
    Attach that library to a Java project and now you can browse the classes, use auto-complete, etc.

Regards,
    Robin.
  • 2. Re: Java Embedding activity and Java type-in support
    domdebailleux Newbie
    Thank you Robin.
    At least, it's clear :-).
    I will use your best practice, sounds elegant.

Dominique
  • 3. Re: Java Embedding activity and Java type-in support
    719294 Newbie
    Robin,

can u tell me wat are jar files i need to add in 11g jdev to deploying the JavaEmbed activity in the 11g Server.

thanks,
    karthik