1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 8:40 AM by -K-

30EA2->2.1.*: Task Progress indication

-K-
      Hi,

As I just said in another thread, GREAT work on the worksheet threading.
      Just one thing which I'm not completely comfortable with: the Task Progress. Don't get me wrong, the window itself is AWESOME when doing many things, but comes with a cost for simpler actions and not-so-power users.
      Keep in mind users even requested a working/progress indication in the worksheet's tab label (like different icon or so). Now even the working/progress indication in the the worksheet's toolbar is removed. That's a step back for many. Now there's no quick way of knowing a worksheet's working and so you might rerun the same statement easily (I did so many times already).

Can the working/progress indication in the the worksheet's toolbar be put back, and will the tab label get some indication too by production?

Thanks,
      K.
        • 1. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
          Aren't you seeing a different icons for the worksheet result tab in each of these cases ?
          - When the query task is "waiting" for another task to finish.
          - When the query is running or grid is being created
          - When there was some error like ora err or task was cancelled.
          - When the task has run successfully and grid / script output is displayed.

-Raghu
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
            -K-
            Right, that's true, sorry. That definitely makes up for the removed progress indicator from the toolbar :O
            Now I don't remember in what situation I couldn't see this before. Maybe I made the results too small or hid the pane with the little arrows.

Nevertheless, the original request still stands as far as I'm concerned: with a lot of worksheets, tables and PL/SQL opened, a visual indication in the worksheet's tab title would still be welcome. Like this, you don't need to step through each worksheet to know which one is done or still working. Ideally, you could copy the dynamic icon of the current result set.

Not as crucial anymore as I stated in the first post though - the result set indication is a lot more than a minimum requirement.
            If you guys can get it in, great, if not, still equally good friends!

Thanks,
            K.
            • 3. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
              This isn't a bug. I think the dancing worksheet editor icon would be a bit in-your-face. I don't think non-power-users would be using sqldev like a video game, spraying the F9/F5 bullets !
              I don't this is a step back since in 1.5.x you had the progress indicator on worksheet's toolbar but didn't have dynamic icons for worksheet editor.

But I do see how it would be helpful for power-users to manage their multiple worksheets.

Plz feature-request this.

-Raghu
              • 4. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                -K-
                This isn't a bug
                No, of course not! Just the same ER as you can find it on the Exchange.
                like a video game, spraying the F9/F5 bullets
                LOL!
                I don't this is a step back
                No, of course not! I said that in the 1st post because I forgot about the indication in the result sets. The current feature is definitely a step forward.
                feature-request this
                As the accepted http://htmldb.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=42626:39:3067392768071042::NO::P39_ID:16921 , so as I said the request still stands.

Thanks,
                K.
                • 5. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                  Buntoro
                  Hi,

Sorry to drop in this thread.
                  But as concerning the task progress indication, it is not limited to executing SELECT queries.
                  Indeed the dancing worksheet icon is really nice.

Here is another thing,
                  when executing these DDL or DML task, there is no task progress indication
                  - TRUNCATE TABLE (sometimes truncating a very large table could cost 40 - 200 seconds)
                  - DROP TABLE
                  - UPDATE
                  - DELETE

Those statements output are linked to 'Statement Output' tab, and there is no task progress indication or dancing icon as such.
                  Maybe another progress bar or dancing icon should be added to see if a task is being executed.

The task being executed is also not shown, since there is no more grayed background on executing script.

Thanks,

Buntoro
                  • 6. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                    -K-
                    More issues as indicates Buntoro
                    • 7. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                      -K-
                      Indeed, apparently only SELECT statements get handled correctly. Not even PL/SQL gets handled. That's probably why I started the thread, but didn't remember.
                      Can someone from the team bug this?

As for the "current SQL", there's a cool SQL link in the Query Result and Script Output's toolbars.
                      When the other statements get correctly handled, I hope the developer reminds to add this to the Statement Output's toolbar too.

FWIW, all tasks are shown in the Task Progress (reachable through the view menu if hidden).
                      However here I have to note bug 2: Cancelling statements other than SELECT doesn't work here! The indication shows cancelled, and you can start new actions on the connection, but they get queued hidden to the IDE.

Can someone from the team bug this too?

Thanks a lot for dropping in, Buntoro!
                      K.
                      • 8. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                        "when executing these DDL or DML task, there is no task progress indication"

Confirmed that the Statement Output tab doesn't display the progress (dancing) icon. This looks to be a bug and will be worked on.

But above task does get added to task progress viewer and any running task in progress viewer will show the progress. As data base query tasks execution time cannot be known before its actual execution (indeterminate) the progress is shown as swinging progress bar. I think the Task Progress View was not opened when query was executing.

- Rakesh
                        • 9. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                          -K-
                          Did you log the other bug (cancelling statements) too?

Thanks,
                          K.
                          • 10. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                            vasan_kps
                            Yes. The cancel issue is a bad one and it is being attended to right away.

Edited by: vasan_kps on Oct 13, 2009 4:00 PM
                            • 11. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                              2: Cancelling statements other than SELECT doesn't work here! The indication shows cancelled, and you can start new actions on the connection, but they get queued hidden to the IDE.

Yes, we were able to reproduce it and is tricky to reproduce (Update large table, run Select, Cancel, runscript Select ...). I have a logged a bug 9014862.

-Rakesh
                              • 12. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                                -K-
                                Thanks guys, sorry you both logged the same bug...

Regards,
                                K.
                                • 13. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                                  hi,

The "Cancel" issue has been fixed and fix should be available in next release.

- Rakesh
                                  • 14. Re: 2.1 EA1: Task Progress indication
                                    -K-
                                    Confirmed fix in 2.1 for cancelling e.g. PL/SQL.

So AFAIK we only need the still missing indication of the running statement in the worksheet.

Thanks,
                                    K.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next