5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2009 8:44 PM by 99469 RSS

How do YOU study?

How do you study for your cert tests? Do you just read a book? Do you use flashcards? Do you have a certain process that you follow for studying?
      Have any suggestions or tips for us?
      Right now I am using books, flashcards, sample tests, and testing programs.
        • 1. Re: How do YOU study?
          Kamran Agayev A.
          RedDeuce wrote:
          How do you study for your cert tests? Do you just read a book? Do you use flashcards? Do you have a certain process that you follow for studying?
          Have any suggestions or tips for us?
          Right now I am using books, flashcards, sample tests, and testing programs.
          You need to read

- Documentatoin
          - Exam releated books

Attend an Oracle University
          Do a lot of practice
          Not to use Dumps because they are all illegal -> http://www.certguard.com/braindumps.asp
          Use Oracle's autorized tests such as "Self Test Software" and "Transcender"
          • 2. Re: How do YOU study?
            I didnt really mean how do I study for the tests. I meant that more of a "how do YOU study for your test?"
            • 3. Re: How do YOU study?
              Kamran Agayev A.
              RedDeuce wrote:
              I didnt really mean how do I study for the tests. I meant that more of a "how do YOU study for your test?"
              Ahh understood. Sorry :)

But anyway, I've used all above suggested ways for passing OCP exams
              • 4. Re: How do YOU study?
                - Locate Exam Topics
                - Appreciate Exam context ... skill level ... prequisites ... relevance ... pass mark (if given).
                - Perform Basic Gap Analysis between Topics and current skills.
                - Locate (Certification Safe) Training Materials / Courses as Appropriate from Gap Analysis
                -- Training Courses
                -- Original Manuals
                -- Books directly related to exam
                -- Books covering exam topics.
                -- Good quality certification safe websites ....
                -- Source Flashcards (acutally I dont do this but some practice test comes with them)
                -- Location of Practice Tests from authorized and certifcation safe providers.
                -- Location of sample questions provded by Testing Programme (eg Oracle)
                - Choose which materials need to be purchased and when
                - Determine your notes framework (*1)
                - Prepare a Practice environment.
                - For each Exam Topic
                -- Study / understand / make notes / practice / prepare flash cards / make keyword list
                - Review exam topics and notes and revise and proactice if necessary following gap analysis.
                - Take practice questions at end of chapters in study books if available ... review any serious shortcommings. (*2)
                -- (Do not read chapter then immediately take questions ... take questions then redo questions).
                - Take practice exam tests (idieally without doing immediate pre-study ... first thing in working or immediately after work). Review after each one. Revise notes / flashcards after each.
                - Only move onto next test when happy with current one.
                -- When All test succesful then schedule exam (*2)
                - Review materials and repeat tests up to exam day.

(*1) By notes framework I mean how you care to take notes.
                Actually the process of taking notes one contributes to ones own understanding ... simply getting someone elses notes would be useful but far less useful than making ones own.
                I actually use a wiki to prepare notes. This perhaps is a little over the top and a little more time consuming. But I can start of with the exam topics and expand them out to their own pages when necessary. Utopia is to have notes that remain usful post exam. And effectively by using a wiki I can make exam notes or topic specific notes and link to the page from different index lists (I have to rush but I would need to make this clearer). I would like to get round to doing my own flashcards but I never do, though I do now like to do a list or two of definitions/keywords.

(*2) I am a firm believer in trying to put off doing practice tests/sample questions until as late as possilbe in the sudy cycle. That way I can genuinely test my understanding; and I'm not simply learning questions. Beware of Practice Test Providers providing same source material for flashcards and practice tests .... if you studied a flashcard then a practice test from same source is useless.

(*3) Take a note of the test center and determine your mode of travel to it and what materials you;ll be able to take to it. For Oracle Exams for instance I normally travel by Puff Puff and walk to Giddy Bridge and have a cup of cappicno and chocolate(candy) bar there and review my notes then walk the 3 minutes to the test center. For others when I travelled by car I usually drive up and study my notes. Remember not to take notes into the exam room ... rip up and ditch in a bin.

See also - [http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/2009/05/the_route_you_choose.html]
                - [http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=82#5Q1A] - How do I prepare for my exam?

Edited by: bigdelboy on 13-Oct-2009 14:45 - Added Reference and corrected typo. Porbably many other tpyos in post too.
                • 5. Re: How do YOU study?
                  Draw it out.
                  IF you can explain everything from start to finish on paper with a drawing then you have a good foundation.

Know all your terms and how they relate to other aspects of Oracle.

Know how to do everything that is listed on the objective lists.