This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2009 12:54 PM by Paul M. RSS

Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue

FahdMirza Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I want to deploy Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports 10g on Oracle Application Server 10g on Red Hat Linux AS 4.

Is it possible that I just install the Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports from Business Intelligence and not install metadata repository or OID?

regards
  • 1. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    Is it possible that I just install the Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports from Business Intelligence and not install metadata repository or OID?
    Yes. See http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/ias/htdocs/101202.html and look for Forms & Reports Services Standalone.
  • 2. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Paul, Thanks for your help.

Do I also need to install Oracle HTTP Server with Oracle Forms and Reports Standalone?

How would my users access the application. I really appreciate your help.

regards
  • 3. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    Do I also need to install Oracle HTTP Server with Oracle Forms and Reports Standalone?
    No, it's included.
    How would my users access the application.
    From browser, of course, for example http://machine_name:port/forms/frmservlet?config=<application>

where application is a configuration entry in formsweb.cfg file.
  • 4. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Paul, things are pretty much clear now. Just few questions, if you please:

I have got 1000 users (50 concurrent) users, which will be using forms and reports services. Should I install forms service and reports services on separate machines? I am calling reports from forms, so how would I configure that?

Can you please share any performance tips regarding the setting up of Forms and Report Services, from your experience?

My both machines have 4 GB of RAM, and I am running Redhat Linux AS 4 32 bit. Will that be enough for my users?

thanks and best regards
  • 5. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    I have got 1000 users (50 concurrent) users, which will be using forms and reports services. Should I install forms service and reports services on separate machines?
    I normally use two machines with everything on them, and running in load balancing via Web Cache.
    I am calling reports from forms, so how would I configure that?
    In what sense ? do you mean how to call reports from forms ?
    My both machines have 4 GB of RAM, and I am running Redhat Linux AS 4 32 bit. Will that be enough for my users?
    For 50 concurrent users, yes.
  • 6. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Paul, I am so grateful for very valuable answers.

Can you please point me towards some good article as how to configure load balancing via Web Cache?

best regards
  • 7. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Paul, In addition to my previous question that:

Can you please point me towards some good article as how to configure load balancing via Web Cache?

Please tell me that do you use a dedicated machine for your OracleAS Web Cache? I mean on Machine A and Machine B, you install Oracle Forms and Report Services, and Machine C is the OracleAS Web Cache, which does the load balancing for Machine A and Machine B?

regards
  • 8. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    You can find information on Application Server Web Cache Administrator's Guide http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_19/caching.1012/b14046/toc.htm
  • 9. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Please tell me that do you use a dedicated machine for your OracleAS Web Cache? I mean on Machine A and Machine B, you install Oracle Forms and Report Services, and Machine C is the OracleAS Web Cache, which does the load balancing for Machine A and Machine B?
  • 10. Re: Oracle AS 10g Installation Issue
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    Machine C is the OracleAS Web Cache, which does the load balancing for Machine A and Machine B?
    No, I normally use two machines only, A and B, and machine A is the Web Cache "manager".

Users URLs always point to machine A, which distributes connections between A and B.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points