This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2011 3:34 PM by Avi Miller RSS

OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?

28686 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

My apologies for these questions that will sound stupid to most of you:
- How do I check Drivers/HBA/Array are (1) supported and (2) work with OracleVM 2.2?
- How do I check a specific piece of Hardware (lets say Network Cards) are (1) supported and (2) work with OracleVM 2.2?

Many thanks

Grégory
  • 1. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    Avi Miller Guru
    arkzoyd wrote:
    - How do I check Drivers/HBA/Array are (1) supported and (2) work with OracleVM 2.2?
    - How do I check a specific piece of Hardware (lets say Network Cards) are (1) supported and (2) work with OracleVM 2.2?
    Oracle VM 2.2 is based on Enterprise Linux 5 Update 3. If your HBA/Array and NIC or other hardware works without any additional drivers with EL5U3, then it will work with Oracle VM 2.2.
  • 2. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    728918 Newbie
    Hi,
    I have a question to this interesting topic.
    We use a couple of IBM Disk Storage (Ds4000). Therefore we have to install an RDAC-Driver on a nativ Linux-System. Is there a way to make it work with Oracle VM, because I need a compiler and the kernel headers too, which is not included in yum-repos for Oracle VM. An another question: Would this environment be supoortet?
    Regards,
    Rene
  • 3. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    Avi Miller Guru
    ReneV wrote:
    We use a couple of IBM Disk Storage (Ds4000). Therefore we have to install an RDAC-Driver on a nativ Linux-System. Is there a way to make it work with Oracle VM, because I need a compiler and the kernel headers too, which is not included in yum-repos for Oracle VM. An another question: Would this environment be supoortet?
    Check IBM's website for compatibility information with Oracle VM:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/solutions/infrastructure/erpcrm/oracle/virtualization.html
  • 4. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    Avi Miller Guru
    ReneV wrote:
    BTW, I've been told by the Oracle VM developers that Oracle VM 2.1.5 and 2.2 includes the RDAC drivers and dm-rdac already.
  • 5. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    728918 Newbie
    Hi,
    the "Multipah RDAC" is for DS5000 and above.
    For DS4000, that is basically a LSI Box, there is no multpathd-Driver. There is only the RDAC Driver for LSI, which has to be compiled on the box itself.
    Regards,
    Rene
  • 6. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    Avi Miller Guru
    ReneV wrote:
    For DS4000, that is basically a LSI Box, there is no multpathd-Driver. There is only the RDAC Driver for LSI, which has to be compiled on the box itself.
    If you check the latest IBM whitepaper, the drivers for LSI card used by the DS4000 are supposed to be included with Oracle VM 2.1.5 and 2.2.
  • 7. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    728918 Newbie
    I have just one white paper from 31th December 2007. In that, just single path solution for the storage box is available, which is not that good for production environment. Is there a new white paper out there.
    Reg.
    Rene
  • 8. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    sconolly Newbie
    I'm running OVS 2.1.5 on IBM X3650's with DS4500 storage, and I can confirm:

1. The RDAC works as stated out of the box, with no changes required.
    2. The multipath access is not supported, as IBM states in their white paper. When we tried it (mapping a LUN to multiple zones as we normally do) I recall that OVS just said there was an error and refused to use the device at all. Change it to a single zone and everything worked.

Adding MPP support typically requires rebuilding the kernel, because IBM hasn't provided drivers for the standard Linux MPIO framework. We did try rebuilding the 2.1.5 kernel to see if we could add the drivers that way, but we reconsidered and decided that it probably wasn't a good idea.

It looks like this will be the state of things until IBM provides MPIO support.
  • 9. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    robinsc Explorer
    Hi ,
    We aare running OVS 2.2.1 and have been told by IBm that no version of their RDAC driver is supported on OVS or Oracle Linux.

I have been told by Fred Dubois of the IBM Oracle Joint support centre the same thing.

Date: 09/13/2011 08:09PM
    cc: Alain Cyr
    <Subject: Re: Fw: IBM DS3300 / RDAC and Oracle Linux/Oracle VM
    =======================

Hi Robin,

Sorry for the late reply.

You are right, the RDAC driver from LSI which is required with the DS3k -
    DS4K and DS5K is not supported with Oracle VM. This driver is not
    integrated into the oracle VM distribution. We have already contacted
    Oracle to tell them this issue. Linux Multipathing is not option for those
    storage subsystem disks because it is not supported yet. (Linux
    Multipathing starts being supported with RHEL 6 and DS5300). I have heard
    that Oracle and LSI are working on this issue but we do not have any
    guarantee that it will be supported.

Regarding the statement in the OVM paper, i do agree, it is a little bit
    misleading. In fact, it refers to the RDAC driver from Dell which is
    supported. When the paper has been written, I thought that it referred to
    the RDAC driver from LSI. That is why I specified it even if my only
    experience was only on storage subsystem disks using linux multipathing
    driver.

Today, my recommendation reminds to use a storage subsystem disk which
    supports linux multipathing, i.e SVC, DS8000, V7000, XIV. Even if IBM does
    not support Oracle VM, some Oracle Validated Configurations (OVC) has been
    performed with Oracle VM and IBM System x Hardware. Some SCORE requests
    have also been accepted (on XIV for instance) to get support for the
    storage part.

Hope it answers to your question.

Fred.

Best Regards / Cordialement,

Fr?d?ric DUBOIS

Avi can you comment.... We are facing a lot of issues with DS3300 and OVS 2.2.1 instability.
  • 10. Re: OracleVM Supported Storage and Network?
    Avi Miller Guru
    robinsc wrote:
    Avi can you comment.... We are facing a lot of issues with DS3300 and OVS 2.2.1 instability.
    I can only say that the official line appears to be no RDAC drivers for IBM in Oracle VM 2.2 yet. You should certainly open an SR with Oracle Support for this, in case we have any in-development stuff that can be provided.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points