4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2009 8:09 AM by 75407 RSS

OCA 10g 1Z0-042 exam; Topics in the book 'OCP All In One Exam Guide'

Hello All

The book is divided into Part I (for 1Z0-042), and Part II (1Z0-043), however the Exam Topics doc on the website seems to cover more than is in Part I. E.g. Flashback is discussed in Chapter 29, a full seven Chapetrs into Part II!!

Can anyone offer definitive advice on the chapters to study, and also if this book covers all the topics? Is the Sybex book more accurately laid out in terms of topics?

Finally, I am considering buying the NetG tutorial disks, and the same question as above, do they cover all the material? I don't want to shell out £700 for nothing(!)

Thanks all

blowtree
        • 1. Re: OCA 10g 1Z0-042 exam; Topics in the book 'OCP All In One Exam Guide'
          blowtree wrote:
          Hello All

The book is divided into Part I (for 1Z0-042), and Part II (1Z0-043), however the Exam Topics doc on the website seems to cover more than is in Part I. E.g. Flashback is discussed in Chapter 29, a full seven Chapetrs into Part II!!

Can anyone offer definitive advice on the chapters to study, and also if this book covers all the topics? Is the Sybex book more accurately laid out in terms of topics?
          The list of topics on [http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=41&p_org_id=28&lang=US&p_exam_id=1Z0_042] is authorative and should always be checked in the run up to an exam just in case there has been a change.

Oracle may occasionally change the topics but they IMHO really dont do this just for fun.

In practice IMHO some of the books related to this exam were prepared duing the beta period. The exam topics may have changed on production release, and certainly were changed on a mid-life update when the 10g exam based was rebased on 10gR2 rather than the 10gR1 as was originally the case.
          Finally, I am considering buying the NetG tutorial disks, and the same question as above, do they cover all the material? I don't want to shell out £700 for nothing(!)
          I believe NETg is the offical Oracle recommended CDROMs. [http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/show_desc.redirect?dc=D21172]

I never used so I cant' comment. bigdelboy would be happy to use if he won the Lotto.

Remember if you finally want to get to OCP level you will have to have attended an Oracle Approved Course at some point.

(But do make sure you've exhausted all the free 2-day dba tutorials from the Oracle Website first.)

Thanks all

blowtree
          If your UK based UKOUG might just be beneficial for you - or it might indeed not be finacially sensible for you .... ( i'm inclined to think not ) but checkout [http://www.ukoug.org] anyway and do the sums. (I dont think they can help with netG).

Rgds- bigdelboy.
          • 2. Re: OCA 10g 1Z0-042 exam; Topics in the book 'OCP All In One Exam Guide'
            Kamran Agayev A.
            blowtree wrote:
            Hello All

Thanks all

blowtree
            Dear blowtree

I used both books and sucessfully passed both exams :) so I suggest you to :

- read both books carefully
            - read documentation according to each subject of the exam
            - do more practice

That's all :)
            • 3. Re: OCA 10g 1Z0-042 exam; Topics in the book 'OCP All In One Exam Guide'
              BDB / Kamran

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I have already attended a tutor led course a couple of years ago before I started my job, so just the two exams to do now.

I had hoped to be able to delve straight in, knowing I had a defined 'Chapetrs 1- 21' to get thorugh, but it looks like I'll need to do a bit more prep. With this in mind, I will post a list of chapters in the book, and also in the Sybex book, that I think are relevant - hopefully it will mean someone else doesn't have to.

BTW, if I win the Lotto, I will buy an Exadata rack & user as a drinks cabinet ;-)

Thanks again

BT
              • 4. Re: OCA 10g 1Z0-042 exam; Topics in the book 'OCP All In One Exam Guide'
                I must have been have been at the horses head. This is a sort of cross reference.

This is one of the first exam I did. (It probably cross references from the books to the exam topics - actually it looks like it juest references between books!).
                I worked from the Oracle Press book as master the attacked the Sybex.

I learnt my lesson. I now start off first with official authorative exam topics and build my notes framework from that.

10g OCA Certification Oracle Press

Chapter      Topic      PrepStatus
                Chapter 1(1)     Introduction to the Oracle Server Technologies     Basic Oracle Concepts
                Chapter 2(3)     Preparing the Database Environment     Installing Oracle 10g
                Chapter 3(4)     Creating an Oracle Database     Creating an Oracle Database
                (2)     Exploring the Database Architecture     -
                Chapter 4(-)     Interfacing with Oracle 10g Database     Interfacing with the oracle database
                Chapter 5(5)     Managing the Oracle Instance     Managing Oracle Processes
                Chapter 6(7)     Managing Database Storage Structures     Managing Database Storage Structures
                Chapter 7(8)     Administering User Security     Adminstering Database User
                Chapter 8(9)     Managing Schema Objects     Managing Database Objects
                Chapter 9(18)     Moving Data     Manipulating Database Data
                Chapter 10(10)     Managing Data and Concurrency     Programming with PL/SQL
                Chapter 11(12)     Implementing Oracle Database Security     Securing the Database
                Chapter 12(6)     Configuring the Oracle Network Environment     Configuring Oracle Networking
                Chapter 13(6a)     Managing Shared Server     Managing Shared Servers
                Chapter 14(14)     Performance Management     Managing Database Performance
                Chapter 15(13)     Database Maintenance     Monitoring Oracle
                Chapter 16(11)     Managing Undo Data     Managing Undo Data
                Chapter 17(10)     Managing Data and Concurrency     Managing Locking
                Chapter 18(15)     Backup and Recovery Concepts     Configuring DB for Backup Recovery
                Chapter 19(16)     Performing Database Backups     Backing up Oracle Database
                Chapter 20(17)     Performing Database Recovery     Recovery Oracle Databases
                Chapter 21(-)     Managing Globalisation in Oracle Databases     Managing Globalisation in Oracle Databases

10g OCA Certification SYBEX

Chapter 1(1)     Oracle DataBase 10g Components and Architecture      Introduction to the Oracle Server Technologies
                (2)     -     Exploring the Database Architecture
                (3)     -     Preparing the Database Environment
                Chapter 2(4)     Creating and Controlling a Database     Creating an Oracle Database
                (5)     -     Managing the Oracle Instance
                Chapter 3(7)     Database Storage and Schema Objects     Managing Database Storage Structures
                (9)     -     Managing Schema Objects
                Chapter 4(6)     Oracle Net Services     Configuring the Oracle Network Environment
                Chapter 5(6a)     Oracle Shared Server     Managing Shared Server
                Chapter 6(8)     User Administration and Security     Administering User Security
                (12)     -     Implementing Oracle Database Security
                Chapter 7(18)     Managing Data with SQL, PL/SQL and Utilities     Moving Data
                Chapter 8(11)     Managing Consistency and Concurency     Managing Undo Data
                (10)     -     Managing Data and Concurrency
                Chapter 9(13)     Proactive Database Maintenance and Performance Monitoring     Database Maintenance
                (14)     -     Performance Management
                Chapter 10(15)     Implementing Database Backups     Backup and Recovery Concepts
                (16)     -     Performing Database Backups
                Chapter 11(17)     Implementing Database Recovery     Performing Database Recovery
                More important than my rubbish is the list of extra topics at the end of [http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=41&p_org_id=28&lang=US&p_exam_id=1Z0_042]