This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2009 7:40 AM by Todd Little RSS

OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...

738436 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I want to be able to enqueue/dequeue messages against Tuxedo based queues from an J2EE application and wonder if I should use OMQ or SALT for this purpose?

I have before been able to do this through WTC component in WLS product but now I have the same J2EE application deployed in JBoss application server.

Regards
Per Lindström
  • 1. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    690504 Newbie
    Hi Per Lindström,

So the question is how to take advantage of Tuxedo /Q from J2EE application, right?

Yes, WTC is a good solution but only supported in WLS product.

For JBOSS, you can use SALT to access Tuxedo service in multiple ways: Web service, SCA, JCA.

Another way in some customers is to use JNI call MessageQ, and then you can take advantage of MessageQ and Tuxedo /Q (via bridge).

If any question yet, please feel free to let me know: leo.wang@oracle.com

Regards,
    Leo
  • 2. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi Per,

Alternatively you could wait for the upcoming JCA adapter that we are developing. It will be supported in the JBOSS JCA container and will provide not only CCI but JATMI as well. It won't have the JMS bridge though.

Regards,
    Todd Little
    Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
  • 3. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    738436 Newbie
    <SNIP>
    Oracle SALT allows external Web services applications to invoke Tuxedo services as Web services, and Tuxedo applications to invoke external Web services. Oracle SALT does not require any coding to achieve this. In addition, Oracle SALT includes an SCA container, which allows you to develop new SOA applications focusing on business logic, while still taking advantage of Tuxedo infrastructure. SCA container also helps with effective reuse of existing application assets.
    <SNIP>
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E13161_01/salt/docs10gr3/overview/over.html#wp1058530

I have checked the sample applications which comes with the latest SALT version and the documentation above and what I could understand the
    SALT solution could be used with Tuxedo based applications (Tuxedo services) written in C or C++ and this Tuxedo based services could be exposed as
    Web services.

I have not found in SALT code example or documentation that I will also be able to run "enqueue/dequeue" against Tuxedo based queues. That is how I could do before through usage of JATMI APIa and the WTC component in the WLS product.

Regards
    Per
  • 4. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    690504 Newbie
    Hi Per,

My fault. Let me clarify it more:

To take advantage of Tuxedo /Q, you need to deploy some user servers in ubb, which is to call tpenqueue/tpdequeue on behalf of the J2EE application. And then Salt will export those services via web services or SCA or JCA. So your J2EE can invoke enqueue/dequeue via those servers finally.

Does this reply your question?

Regards,
    Leo
  • 5. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    738436 Newbie
    Ok, but "deploy some user servers in ubb" means I have to write some code (like C or C++) and deploy in Tuxedo as a Tuxedo service. This deployed code will encapsulate ATMI C API usage to handle enqueu or dequeue operations against available Tuxedo queue(s). Finally this Tuxedo service(s) can be exposed as a Webservice through usage of Tuxedo SALT.

Is the above summary correct, or?

If it's, do you have any sample application for this?

Regards
    Per
  • 6. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    690504 Newbie
    Per,

That's correct.

We don't have exist samples for Tuxedo /Q application in web service mode. But you can take advantage of SALT inbound samples. The only thing you need to do is to change the user server to call tpenqueue/dequeue.

Regards,
    Leo
  • 7. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    738436 Newbie
    Thanks for the information Leo, a more intresting solution for us is the Tuxedo JCA adapter Todd Little mentioned above.

That is a smaller "footprint" for us outside the J2EE container and our Java application(s) inside it, we don't like the solution to
    change the server ATMI based code (Tuxedo service) to call tpenqueue/dequeue.

Regards
    Per
  • 8. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    738436 Newbie
    When will the Tuxedo JCA adapter be final released, next year 2010 before the summer or?

I like the possibility to reach Tuxedo queues through usage of the JATMI API, that is what we have
    today but with the "proprietary" WTC component instead of a more "agnostic" Tuxedo JCA adapter.

Regards
    Per
  • 9. Re: OMQ or SALT for integration between JEE application and Tuxedo queue(s)...
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi Per,

We are looking for beta customers right now for the JCA adapter and expect to ship it in the first half of 2010. If you want more details on the beta program, please contact me by e-mail. My e-mail address is simply my first and last name separated by a period at oracle.com.

Regards,
    Todd Little
    Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points