This discussion is archived
1 4 5 6 7 8 12 Previous Next 175 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2011 12:23 PM by TexasApexDeveloper Go to original post RSS
  • 75. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joel,
    Whatever changes you guys made earlier this week were good for a day or so.. Now it is back to the same dismal performance from before.. I am TRYING to modify a page process and just made one change and hit the Apply Changes button, and am now waiting while twenty-five gerbils spin around their cage wheel to move the data back from the browsers to the database... (Small Joke there)..

Whatever the problem seems to be, I would suggest getting someone to look at it, since as it has been noted before, this has been going on since April, and is getting rather ridicules..

Thank you,

(Ohh and as Andy added earlier, when you click Cancel or Logout, it is VERY quick... :( )

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 76. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for reporting this. I have my daily meeting coming up in 10 minutes about these performance issues, so this will be great information to include.

Thanks again.

Joel
  • 77. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Tony,

1) What exact time (time and time zone) did you encounter this extreme slowness?
    2) Is it slow now (that is, whenever you read this and have an opportunity to try it again)?

After you reported this (and I know you don't want to hear this), I tried it and I asked Mike Hichwa and Patrick Wolf to try it as well. Patrick and I also did it from connections outside the Oracle firewall . It did take about 15 seconds to show the login page for me, but after that, it was quite fast.

I'm now beginning to think that the problem lies somewhere between your browser and our Web servers, whether that's network firewall, routers, etc. I've asked for an inventory of all these software and hardware elements between you and our Web servers, to at least try and identify what, if anything, changed and what is the culprit.

Thanks again for your message and don't hesitate to tell me again if performance stinks.

Regards,
    Joel
  • 78. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Joel,
    I am encountering it now! Central time zone (Texas).. I was experiencing it about 10 minutes before posting last message in this thread... Process seems to be dragging when updating code by saves. Like I noted, if I click cancel or even logoff, it is fast as can be, so that would imply what exactly?

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 79. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Tony,

Now, as in 4:13P CST?

A logout doesn't really go through the APEX engine. And a Cancel is usually just a redirect followed by a show of a page.

When you experience this slowness, can you also go to http://asktom.oracle.com and see if that is slow at the same time?

Sorry to put you through this exercise, but I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

Thanks.

Joel
  • 80. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Asktom is working nice & fast.. My request to apply changes to the page process is still cycling as I type..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 81. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Tony,

Now I'm beginning to wonder if this is a functional issue in Application Express itself on apex.oracle.com.

1) Is it the same page in Application Express where this occurs? Or is this any time you submit a page?
    2) Is this consistently slow for you?
    3) Can you please send an e-mail to oracle-application-express_ww@oracle.com with your workspace, application, and step-by-step instructions so I can try and reproduce this myself?

For what it's worth, I'm at home now (not on VPN) and performance on apex.oracle.com seems just great.

Joel
  • 82. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Joel,
    I believe it is a more widespread issue. I tried downloading the ddl to build the objects in my workspace and again it just sat there cycling. Andy has been having slowness issues too.

I can send you the workspace information this morning..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 83. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response. I'll have a look at this. However, just so you know, the Generate DDL isn't the best example to use to demonstrate overall "slowness" of apex.oracle.com. The underlying package we use to generate this, DBMS_METADATA, isn't the fastest in the world on a database with a massive data dictionary like apex.oracle.com.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be fast. I just don't think that the Generate DDL functionality will be slow for the same reasons that you or Andy or Ben have experienced before.

Joel
  • 84. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    Sc0tt Expert
    I'm getting it now (10:15am eastern) - Viewing pages seems to be ok, but I'm just simply trying to edit the HTML header on a page (4000:4351) and it has been sitting there for 1+ minute. Then after finally pulling up and editing, I tried pulling it up again and it opened in 2 seconds. So it seems to be inconsistent.

But I've tried on my work computer over VPN, and also on my 2nd PC (which is not on VPN), and both are equally slow. I'm using Comcast cable internet and every other site works pretty quickly - even a lot of Apex is fine, just seems editing items and page headers is a dog.
  • 85. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for reporting this. I'll take a look at apex.oracle.com and see if I can uncover anything. I did notice that it was being hit pretty hard recently, but the load should not have been a problem.

Joel
  • 86. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Scott et al,

I did get on the database of apex.oracle.com after you reported this slowness, and I did notice that the database was being hammered with requests. I often tout the scalability of Application Express on apex.oracle.com and on relatively modest hardware, but this was exceptional activity. At 9:15:56A CST, there were 50 page views processed in that second. At 9:39:18A CST, there were 46 page views in that second. In several time periods from 9:15A to 10:00A CST, there were these large spikes of requests.

I'm in the process of figuring out where these large number of requests are emanating, but for once, I can't attribute this slowness to a network card or hardware issues with the filer or anything like that....this time, the database could have just been "busy".

I'll let you know what I find out.

Joel
  • 87. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Joel,
    You wanted to be alerted when issues arise with the hosted instance of APEX again.. I am logged in and trying to access the object browser for my setup and it is just cycling trying to list the associated tables I have...

(Went to an alternate site I have stuff hosted with and was able to get the answer I needed in less 2 minutes..)

Time of this incident is 2:25 pm CST..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 88. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to report this. Is it still an issue? I am monitoring the server, I logged into my workspace, looking at my tables in Object Browser and it seems okay right now, as in sub-second response (3:34P EST).

I ask this, because I had thought we were beyond the Web server hardware / networking issues and now, yesterday's performance, as due to just high volume of requests hitting the database. But now your experience has me doubting that it's a database capacity issue again.

Thanks again.

Joel
  • 89. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Joel,
    Yes, it is still an issue.... I just kicked off a new session of APEX, and select the object browser and it is cycling away.. Maybe it is something wrong with my workspace??

Workspace: homeworld
    UserName: TONY_BECKY_MIKEY@COMCAST.NET
    Schema: ACT_SOFTWARE

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
1 4 5 6 7 8 12 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points