0 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2009 12:00 PM by user719216 RSS

How to configure Dell 2208WFP with ATI Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]?

user719216
      I'm using this configuration, and it isn't quite right. I tried using the DVI input to the Dell 2208 monitor, bug when I do, the screen often blanks out for a few moments, as if it's been reset. This is very jarring, and occurs every minute or less, so I can't use this mode. I've resigned to using the analog input, but his has waviness and is sluggish rendering complex video. When I originally installed the graphics card and monitor, I spent days trying to create a working xorg.conf file, to no avail. I now have none, and allow the devices to be autoconfigured each time I boot. I was unable to find a working xorg.conf configuration on the Internet.

There is another problem with this configuration, or lack thereof. When I boot, the session login screen appears for a few moments. Then it is killed with a message that says that the Xserver restarted too many times, and offers to let me configure xorg.conf. I decline, and allow it to continue. The session login screen redisplays, and I'm able to login and every works as described above. I can logout and login just fine. I don't get the Xserver error again until the next time that I reboot. I find this text in /var/log/Xorg.1.log:

_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
      _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
      Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running
      (WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
      (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor

I'm running OEL5 and have updated all of the xorg.* modules to the latest available on the OEL repository.

Thanks for any assistance.