This content has been marked as final. Show 6 replies
The vncserver is configured but not started in the AMI. You will need to do the following:
1) Start the VNC server, as root run # vncserver
-- configure the password,etc
2) setup the AWS Security Group such that VNC port(s) are open to your IP range. Typically, it will be port 5901.
3) on your desktop, use a VNC client to connect to the EC2 server. The server will be the public host name with the VNC port appended, for example: ec2-123-aws.amazon.com:1 (note that the client uses the port value of 1, while the server and AWS security group use 5901 -the client automatically attaches the 590 to the port you supply).
Let me know if you have further questions.
The steps are good. I got the graphical linux environment. But when i try to launch ./runInstaller of Oracle software from xterm, i get "unable to open display".
Do we have to use another x client like EXCEED or X-WIN32 ? I tried setting display to my laptop's ip address. But still same "unable to open display"
How do you resolve this ? What is the right DISPLAY env value you need to set to launch Oracle Universal Installer in an AMI ?
Edited by: Srinivas.R on Dec 4, 2009 6:44 PM
1) edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and set PasswordAuthentication to its default value yes
2) /etc/init.d/sshd reload
3) start Putty on your box and set checkbox Enable X11 forwarding in the settings
4) login as oracle and env | grep DISP --> you will see that DISPLAY var is already preset for you by Putty
5) start X-Server on your local box (there are free products on the market nowdays)
6) run xclock &