This discussion is archived
1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Previous Next 175 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2011 12:23 PM by TexasApexDeveloper Go to original post RSS
  • 90. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    fac586 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Joel
    I ask this, because I had thought we were beyond the Web server hardware / networking issues and now, yesterday's performance, as due to just high volume of requests hitting the database. But now your experience has me doubting that it's a database capacity issue again.
    Tonight (and Tuesday when I last experienced problems) it's what I would term the "usual" problem: Web server failing to deliver all the files for the page, mainly f?p=4000:4150 in the builder and related pages, less frequently user application pages at runtime. The browser status bar reports "..., completed 51 of 53 items" (or "...6 of 7 items"; whatever) and it just sits there. The Resources panel in the Safari Web Inspector shows that "pt_nav.png", "apex_3_1.js" or some other small image, CSS or script file is not being served.

The database/APEX looks to be running fine. Page in front of me reports a response time of 914ms (346 ms latency, 568ms download) for /pls/otn/f.
  • 91. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Tony,

Now you have me now thinking that this is still a networking / Web server issue and nothing more.

Immediately when I saw your update (about this still being an issue), I looked at the active database sessions on apex.oracle.com and there was essentially nothing going on - just a handful of very recent requests (in the past second). No long-running requests from you or from anyone else.

I then added myself to your workspace, logged in, and started bouncing around Object Browser, selecting numerous tables, and each returned the definition within about a second. I then did the same, clicking on Views, Procedures, etc. No issues.

So this is actually good information from you - and now, at least, in this specific case, I can't claim it's a database issue at all.

If I find anything, I'll keep you and this thread informed.

Joel
  • 92. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Well, to be honest, if it was a sunspot issue or just a convergence of the clouds blocking solar rays hitting the lines carrying the data, it still is an issue that is causing users access issues to your hosted instance of APEX..

Sorry, but we know it is an issue, it not just affecting little ole me, so I don't know how to respond otherwise..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 93. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    ATD Guru
    Clearly "top priority" means different things to different people.

Today, the site has been so appalling that it is forcing me to move elsewhere

Bye

Andy
  • 94. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    munky Guru
    I've given up too - this has become silly.

Tony pointed me to a great (free) hosting site and it's working nicely.

Cheers

Ben
  • 95. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    ATD Guru
    Hi Ben,

Can you email that site's details, please!

Thanks

Andy
  • 96. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    fac586 Guru
    It's also telling that the APEX 4.0 EA programme is hosted on Amazon...
  • 97. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Andy,
    I'm NOT Ben, but the url is : [https://apex.appshosting.com/pls/apex/f?p=4550:1:1585179519847888].. It's apphostings APEX site.. They offer a fre 5-10 megs of space and surprise, surprise it doesn't seem to be having the server issues that Oracle is...

This whole thing seems to e BIG mess, and I don't see any response from Oracle in the thread recently.. Is this a BAD sign?

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 98. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    637204 Newbie
    One can't blame Oracle; they specifically state that there are no guarantees’ and lets face it if you get something for FREE you really don't have the right to complain.

I switched over to [Application Outsource|http://www.application-outsource.co.uk/APEX_Hosting.htm] earlier this year and the service I get for $7.50 pm is simply fantastic.

I you really want your site to be have a up-time of 98%+ per month fork out a bit of money.

I highly recommend them.

Johannes
  • 99. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    ATD Guru
    Tony - I have approx 35mb used already on apex.oracle.com and most of that is in response to threads on this forum, so can not really be trimmed down to 5-10mb.

Johannes - as most of my use of the site is for forum responses, I really don't see that I should spend anything to reply to threads. And, yes, the site is free to use BUT as my firm does pay an annual fee to Oracle, I would suggest that it's not entirely "free" to us - the costs of running the site must come out of Oracle's income, and where do they get that?! Also, you should note that the site has been on/off poor since at least April this year - that's EIGHT months of sub-standard service. Free or not, that's hardly a good advert for Oracle, is it?

I think the answer, for me at least, is to give up with this forum and apex.oracle.com and go elsewhere entirely.

Andy
  • 100. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Please understand that it is difficult to correct what cannot be properly diagnosed. There were various issues on and off since April, but since the last week in November, I've seen this thread mildly active but I've heard no other complaints about poor performance - not from AskTom, not from ProMED, not from other users of apex.oracle.com. I don't doubt that what you are experiencing is real, but supposedly the firewall has been reviewed, the network to and from the Web servers and database has been reviewed and had diagnostic tests run. I don't believe it's a database issue as the page view timings seem normal.

I wish I had a clear cut path to resolution, but without being able to determine precisely when this is occurring, and having had the various pieces to/from the outside world to the database reviewed with no fault detected, there is little to go on at this time.

Joel
  • 101. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    munky Guru
    >
    Andy,
    I'm NOT Ben
    >
    Very true Tony, I am Ben, you are Tony.
  • 102. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Andy,
    I can understand wanting to move away from the freely hosted apes instance from Oracle, but why would you leave the forum? Your input here is valued greatly.. You are helping a great number of people here!!

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX
  • 103. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Using Andy's farewell message (his "top priority" message), I was able to use that to isolate the page views in the Application Builder for him in his workspace on 22-DEC-2009. For the period of 21-DEC through 23-DEC, I was able to identify 116 page views from him longer than 5 seconds. Numerous ones were well over 100 seconds. That is appalling. I would have given up after 5 second page views.

I don't immediately know what the problem is or what the resolution will be. But at least this is something that is in our domain and is definitive proof. No longer is this the nebulous "somewhere on the network or firewall or I can't reproduce it." I can't give any commitment to when this will be resolved, as most people are out right now. And although we've probably lost Ben and Andy and others, at least we can attempt to improve this for new users. It does begin with Global IT planning on applying the 11.1.0.7 patch set this Sunday.

Merry Christmas.

Joel
  • 104. Re: apex.oracle.com/pls/otn down?
    munky Guru
    Joel

When using the application builder to do any kind of development (rather than just checking someone elses page set-up), just 2-3 seconds is poor and frustrating, forget 5 or even 100 secs!

Speaking only for myself, I will be straight back to apex.oracle.com when it becomes reliably usable.

The service currently being provided is not usable - so obviously people will look elsewhere.

It should also be noted that, although the service is free, it is used extensively by the APEX community and, as Andy has pointed out - it is used to help provide support for APEX users via this forum. Oracle provide next to no support for APEX (I guess because it comes bundled with the RDBMS and is not individually licensed), the support is provided by the community of developers using the product. This forum is the main resource for APEX support and Oracle should be extremely grateful to the people who contribute here and try to help people. This gratitude should be shown by providing services that are top notch in performance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is 'help us to help you'.

The dedication and patience shown by the contributors to this forum is nothing short of incredible. Oracle should be magnificently proud of the APEX community - and reward it with a decent service.

Cheers

Ben
1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points