1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2013 12:25 AM by waldyd

sqlplus with Instant Client?

rmmangin
      Other than instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-basic-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-sdk-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip what other modules must be installed to use sqlplus with Instant Client to connect to database on a remote server? When I run sqlplus it errors out with "SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found". The instantclient-sqlplus package does not have any *.msb files in it.
        • 1. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
          Pavan Kumar
          Hi,

Might be the SQL Client files got corrupted or download Installation is corrupted. Try to re-install and Check.
          Is this 11g which you are working on.

I am not sure still.

- Pavan Kumar N
          Oracle 9i/10g - OCP
          http://oracleinternals.blogspot.com/
          • 2. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
            rmmangin wrote:
            instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-basic-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-sdk-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip
            Did you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH ? What was the sequence of unzip ?
            • 3. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
              rmmangin
              $ORACLE_HOME is set to the base directory under which the lib and bin directories are located (/opt/oracle/product/ora_current).
              $LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes both $ORACLE_HOME/lib and $ORACLE_HOME/bin.
              The instantclient-basic-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-sdk-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip files were both unzipped (in that order) into the $ORACLE_HOME/lib direcotry.
              The instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip was unzipped last, into the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.

When I try "fine $ORACLE_HOME sp1us.msb -print" there is no sp1us.msb found. In fact there are no *.msb files anywhere under $ORACLE_HOME.
              Should sp1us.msb have been part of the instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip file?

The database to which I want to connect is 10g. The 11g Instant Client should connect ok, right?

Thanks all.
              • 4. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                Can you please post the output of

env | sort

Is NLS_LANG set ?

Is TNS_ADMIN set ?
                • 5. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                  rmmangin
                  Neither NLS_LANG nor TNS_ADMIN is set.
                  There are quite a few environment variables set. I've omitted a few to keep this post to a reasonable size ;-)
                  With that said, here is the output from env | sort
                  DISPLAY=:0
                  EDITOR=vi
                  ENV=/home/roger/.kshrc
                  GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/roger/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
                  HISTSIZE=800
                  HOME=/home/roger
                  JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.6.0_15
                  JRE=/usr/java/jre1.6.0_15
                  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
                  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/opt/oracle/product/ora_current/lib:/opt/oracle/product/ora_current/bin:/usr/lib/netscape/plugins
                  LOGNAME=roger
                  MM_CHARSET=iso-8859-1
                  MOZ_ENABLE_PANGO=1
                  NPX_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/netscape/plugins
                  ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/ora_current
                  OS=Linux
                  PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/roger/bin:/usr/java/jre1.6.0_15/bin:/opt/oracle/product/ora_current/bin:/opt/bin:.:/usr/local/bin
                  PRINTER=nlj
                  PS1=$HOSTNM:$PWD>
                  TERM=xterm-color
                  • 6. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                    rmmangin wrote:
                    Neither NLS_LANG nor TNS_ADMIN is set.
                    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/opt/oracle/product/ora_current/lib:/opt/oracle/product/ora_current/bin:/usr/lib/netscape/plugins
                    ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/ora_current
                    PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/roger/bin:/usr/java/jre1.6.0_15/bin:/opt/oracle/product/ora_current/bin:/opt/bin:.:/usr/local/bin
                    set

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                    $ export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH

and then post the results of

$ sqlplus

Will you be using TNS_ADMIN (For TNSNames) ? If so, set TNS_ADMIN

Do you have multiple ORACLE Homes on this machine ?
                    • 7. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                      rmmangin
                      Thanks for the concrete suggestion. I ran the two export commands; sqlplus still reports
                      Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
                      SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
                      SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory

Note that $ORACLE_HOME/bin was already in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Was your suggestion specifically to make it the first directory there (i.e., that there is importance to the order in which directories appear in LD_LIBRARY_PATH)?

The box on which I'm trying to get this installed is a desktop Linux box. It has no Oracle db installed on it. I'm trying to use it only as a client to access an Oracle 10g database on a Sun Solaris box. There is only one $ORACLE_HOME on the Linux desktop box (/opt/oracle/product/ora_current). Note that "ora_current" is a symbolic link to "11.2" which is the real directory under which the lib and bin directories are located.

I do not plan to use TNS_ADMIN.

I am still perplexed -- if sqlplus needs sp1<lang>.msb, why is that file not part of the instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip file?
                      There are NO .msb files anywhere under the $ORACLE_HOME directory. Should I be trying to find a file "sp1us.msb" somewhere on OTN?

Thanks again.
                      • 8. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                        rmmangin wrote:
                        Thanks for the concrete suggestion. I ran the two export commands; sqlplus still reports
                        Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
                        SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
                        SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory
                        Seems like permission issue to me.

Are you executing SQLPLUS from Oracle user ?
                        There is only one $ORACLE_HOME on the Linux desktop box (/opt/oracle/product/ora_current). Note that "ora_current" is a symbolic link >to "11.2" which is the real directory under which the lib and bin directories are located.
                        Try to execute these and see what you get...

ls -alt $ORACLE_HOME/bin

ls -alt $ORACLE_HOME/lib
                        Was your suggestion specifically to make it the first directory there
                        Yes, my intent was to bring ORACLE_HOME directory in the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH as the first entry.
                        • 9. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                          ioan
                          Hi,

Here is a link with info how to configure an instant sqlplus client for linux.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14357/ape.htm#CHDJCDFA

Hope this help.

Ioan
                          1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                            EdStevens
                            rmmangin wrote:
                            Other than instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-basic-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-sdk-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip what other modules must be installed to use sqlplus with Instant Client to connect to database on a remote server? When I run sqlplus it errors out with "SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found". The instantclient-sqlplus package does not have any *.msb files in it.
                            I've never tried to install instant client on a *nix platform, but going to the download page I see this:

Instant Client Package - SQLPlus: Additional libraries and executable for running SQL*Plus with Instant Client
                            instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip (795,144 bytes) (cksum - 1471854444)

You didn't mention having that file ....
                            • 11. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                              Or you can review this link...

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10823/apd.htm#CHDJCDFA
                              • 12. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                                EdStevens wrote:
                                rmmangin wrote:
                                Other than instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-basic-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-sdk-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip
                                I've never tried to install instant client on a *nix platform, but going to the download page I see this:

Instant Client Package - SQLPlus: Additional libraries and executable for running SQL*Plus with Instant Client

Isn't that the first file in the list ?
                                • 13. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                                  rmmangin
                                  Thanks everyone for the suggestions. As is so often the case, this was just "user error" on my part ;-}
                                  I was stubbornly determined to put everything from instantclient-basic-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-sdk-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip into a lib directory under $ORACLE_HOME, and put everything from instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip into a bin directory under $ORACLE_HOME.

All I had to do was unzip all 3 files into the same directory, and make that be $ORACLE_HOME. Voila, sqlplus now runs on this desktop linux box, and can connect to the various 10g databases on Solaris boxes.

Again, thanks all.
                                  • 14. Re: sqlplus with Instant Client?
                                    EdStevens
                                    ordba wrote:
                                    EdStevens wrote:
                                    rmmangin wrote:
                                    Other than instantclient-sqlplus-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-basic-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip and instantclient-sdk-linux32-11.2.0.1.zip

Isn't that the first file in the list ?
                                    Ooops. My bad.
                                    1 2 Previous Next