7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2010 6:50 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Evaluating Oracle E-Business Suite for More Than 30 Days

user2648997
      I want to use Oracle Applications for "evaluation/learning" purposes for more than 30 days.
      "edelivery.oracle.com" license gives me the right to use the software for only 30 days (I know Oracle EBS software does not expire).
      What options do I have to legally keep on evaluating this software for more than 30 days.
      Can I join some network like development network or OPN etc?
      Please guide me on what is the best legal way to go about it.
      I am only talking about evaluation (not production).

Thanks

Edited by: user2648997 on Jan 6, 2010 6:11 PM
        • 1. Re: Evaluating Oracle E-Business Suite for More Than 30 Days
          SaiMahadev
          Hi,

If it is legally Oracle says this:

The "Trial Term" shall be 30 Days from the date of your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

The rights granted to you under this Agreement expire at the end of the Trial Term. If you decide to use any of the Programs after the end of the Trial Term, you must acquire a license for each Program from Oracle.

So legally it is impossible to use the Oracle License in trial mode for more than 30 days.

Regards,
          Sri
          • 2. Re: Evaluating Oracle E-Business Suite for More Than 30 Days
            Hi,

Oracle provides several free products to use for unlimited time period as long as they are used for educational/evaluation purpose only. As Mr. Sri has mentioned, Oracle Applications licensing terms do not allow to use for more than 30 days.

Alternatively, you can read the licensing terms carefully and search if "educational/evaluation" aspect is applicable to this product that permits you to use it for more than 30 days legally.

Regards,
            Saurabh
            • 3. Re: Evaluating Oracle E-Business Suite for More Than 30 Days
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Hi,

The software will not stop working after 30 days and you can still use it. The 30 days is an ethical restriction and cannot be tracked (Oracle allow you to download/install the software and use it for free for 30 days, and expect you to license the product after this period).

If you still want to use the product for more than 30 days for evaluation, then I believe you can do so. To confirm this, contact an Oracle Sales representative,
              I believe he/she is the best one to advise on this.

Regards,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Evaluating Oracle E-Business Suite for More Than 30 Days
                user2648997
                Yes Hussein I know the software will keep on working even after 30 days but that is a violation of a contract which is morally wrong.

The only option I see so far is to get OPN gold membership that will allow me to evaluate all software for the membership period.

Let me know if any one has any other options in mind as OPN gold is very expensive.

All I want to do is keep on evaluating Oracle EBS for more than 30 days and run different scenarios for exploration and learning purpose.
                • 5. Re: Evaluating Oracle E-Business Suite for More Than 30 Days
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Hi,
                  The only option I see so far is to get OPN gold membership that will allow me to evaluate all software for the membership period.
                  Where you get this option from? What is your reference?
                  All I want to do is keep on evaluating Oracle EBS for more than 30 days and run different scenarios for exploration and learning purpose.
                  As long as you run a non-production instance, I believe you can still use the software after the 30 days and the OPN membership is not required.

Regards,
                  Hussein
                  • 6. Re: Evaluating Oracle E-Business Suite for More Than 30 Days
                    user2648997
                    Hussein,

You said

"As long as you run a non-production instance, I believe you can still use the software after the 30 days and the OPN membership is not required.".

How is the above true when the license agreement clearly says "30 day trial"? What is your source?

Here are the exact wordings:

The "Trial Term" shall be 30 Days from the date of your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

Later on the agreement says:

The rights granted to you under this Agreement expire at the end of the Trial Term.

If you decide to use any of the Programs after the end of the Trial Term, you must acquire a license for each Program from Oracle.

You said

"Where you get this option from? What is your reference?"

I talked to Oracle OPN Department over the phone.

Edited by: user2648997 on Jan 7, 2010 4:16 PM

Edited by: user2648997 on Jan 7, 2010 4:17 PM

Edited by: user2648997 on Jan 7, 2010 4:23 PM
                    • 7. Re: Evaluating Oracle E-Business Suite for More Than 30 Days
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      Hi,
                      How is the above true when the license agreement clearly says "30 day trial"? What is your source?
                      I do not have a source right now, but I remember reading something similar (I shall post the link once I find it).
                      I talked to Oracle OPN Department over the phone.
                      Did you ask them for any alternatives? Oracle feedback should be the official/correct answer to your question.

Regards,
                      Hussein