This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2012 9:30 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Number of workers

19041 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

What is the default number of workers in R12

Is it

2*Number of CPUs on Database server(box)
or
2*Number of CPUs on the application server (box)

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Number of workers
    689285 Newbie
    both are same, its depends on how many cpu's in your server " 2*cpus ",

Correct me guys if i am worng.
  • 2. Re: Number of workers
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Hi,

It is (2 * Number of CPUs) where you run adpatch no matter what components you have installed on the node. However, I would say you can use up to (4 * Number of CPUs) for the number of workers.

Regards,
    Hussein
  • 3. Re: Number of workers
    454509 Newbie
    Can you supply a reference for this calculation. I've searched metalink and I've only found references to using:
    num-workers = #-cpus + 2

thanks.
  • 4. Re: Number of workers
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    It is twice the number of CPUs as Hussein states - pl see page 2-7 of the R12 Patching manual at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B53825_03/current/acrobat/121adpp.pdf

HTH
    Srini
  • 5. Re: Number of workers
    Brad,

See (Note: 226191.1 - How To Select Number of Workers Based on Number of CPUs When Running ADPATCH).

"What is the correct number of workers you should use when running adpatch or adadmin?" I believe there is no specific answer to this question, as some other document mentions (No. of CPUs + 2) -- Note: 756792.1 - What is the Default Number of AdWorkers on a Server?.

I always use (4 * No. of CPUs), and never had any issues. You may also see (Note: 756063.1 - How to Deal with the adpatch Peforrmance issue : Slow, Hang or Crash ?) to calculate th number of workers.

Regards,
    Hussein
  • 6. Re: Number of workers
    454509 Newbie
    Terrific. Exactly what I was looking for. You should get a bazzillion forum points.
  • 7. Re: Number of workers
    19041 Newbie
    Strange but this note also says it is number_of_CPUs_in_Database_Server + 2
    and not number_of_CPUs_in_Application_Server...

but i agree with your experience

Cyril
  • 8. Re: Number of workers
    745892 Newbie
    hi,

in metalink note no. 226191.1, it is written that no. of workers=no. of CPUs multiplied by 2 and in metalink note no. 756792.1, it is wriiten that no. of workers=no. of CPUs + 2

which one is correct??
    I always use no. of workers=no. of CPUs multiplied by 4
  • 9. Re: Number of workers
    Hi,
    which one is correct??
    Both are correct, and you go with the number which would not affect the patching performance on your instance.
    I always use no. of workers=no. of CPUs multiplied by 4
    Same here.

Regards,
    Hussein
  • 10. Re: Number of workers
    745892 Newbie
    thanx Hussein
  • 11. Re: Number of workers
    762409 Newbie
    My personal experience says it depends on your environment. I have seen the sweet spot with number of workers tends to be between 55-60. In multiple upgrade runs I have experienced that anything more than this tends to cause locking issues during the pl/sql compilation phases of the upgrade. Also a really large number of workers does not really help a lot, you will see above a particular number your upgrade performance is not really being held back due to lack of parallelism. More often than not you will see single threaded scripts running long and coming on your critcal path. At this time you will see that all other workers are empty and this is running alone or long. Due to dependencies of course this is how it was meant to happen, and then you will needed to work on tuning this script to make your upgrade run faster.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Anindya
  • 12. Re: Number of workers
    user13376823 Newbie
    i am doing 9i ------------> 11g upgrade ( in continuation with 11i -------------------------> R12 ) all this work on my laptop with vmware workstation .

the specs of vmware workstaion are as follows :

ram 5 gb

number of processor 2

how many maximum number of workers i can assign on this vmware workstaion during applying adpatches ?
  • 13. Re: Number of workers
    user13376823 wrote:
    i am doing 9i ------------> 11g upgrade ( in continuation with 11i -------------------------> R12 ) all this work on my laptop with vmware workstation .

the specs of vmware workstaion are as follows :

ram 5 gb

number of processor 2

how many maximum number of workers i can assign on this vmware workstaion during applying adpatches ?
    Please see the docs referenced above in this thread, it should answer your question.

Thanks,
    Hussein

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points