3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2010 6:21 AM by 749134 RSS

expdp - VERSION parameter value

Nicolas.Gasparotto
      In the 11g documentation about expdp, parameter VERSION description :
      http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28319/dp_export.htm#i1007148
      +VERSION={COMPATIBLE | LATEST | version_string}+
      The legal values for the VERSION parameter are as follows:

COMPATIBLE - This is the default value. The version of the metadata corresponds to the database compatibility level. Database compatibility must be set to 9.2 or higher.

LATEST - The version of the metadata corresponds to the database version.

version_string - A specific database version (for example, 11.1.0). In Oracle Database 11g, this value cannot be lower than *9.2*.

I'm a bit surprise how the version_string can be lower than 10.1 since expdp does not exists in previous Oracle version.
      So, how could it be 9.2 ? Does this parameter being set according to the COMPATIBLE parameter of the target db instead of the version of the target db ?

Nicolas.
        • 1. Re: expdp - VERSION parameter value
          Krich-Oracle
          As stated in the documentation, The VERSION parameter simply allows you to identify the version of the objects being exported. This allows you to create a dump file set that is compatible with a previous release of Oracle Database. Again, as stated in the documentation, this does not mean that Data Pump Export can be used with versions of Oracle Database prior to Oracle Database 10g release 1 (10.1). Data Pump Export only works with Oracle Database 10g release 1 (10.1) or later.

The VERSION parameter can be useful in a downgrade situation, for example. Assume you have a 10.2 database and you export with VERSION=9.2. Only database objects and attributes that are compatible with 9.2 will be exported. You could then import the dump file into a 10.1 database whose compatibility is set to 9.2. A 10.1 database set to 9.2 compatibility could theoretically be downgraded to 9.2.

(Note that setting the compatibility to 9.2 in a 10.1 database means that any attempt to use a feature that is new in 10.1 will fail.)
          • 2. Re: expdp - VERSION parameter value
            Nicolas.Gasparotto
            Thank you for your feedback. I knew expdp cannot be used in previous version than 10.1, that was actually not my question, that was why have this 9.2 value possibility.
            user478492 wrote:
            The VERSION parameter can be useful in a downgrade situation, for example. Assume you have a 10.2 database and you export with VERSION=9.2. Only database objects and attributes that are compatible with 9.2 will be exported. You could then import the dump file into a 10.1 database whose compatibility is set to 9.2. A 10.1 database set to 9.2 compatibility could theoretically be downgraded to 9.2.
            Thank you for enlighting me this downgrade method, a little bit complicated, I think there are other easier methods, but thanks.

Nicolas.
            • 3. Re: expdp - VERSION parameter value
              It was very interesting that we can downgrade oracle in this way.

But, you said:
              ... I think there are other easier methods ...
              Would you please explain how to downgrade from 11g to 10g?