This discussion is archived
1 2 3 6 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 7:14 AM by vbaprog RSS

What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?

Grant Ronald Employee ACE
Currently Being Moderated
We'd be interested to hear feedback from our OTN forum users on what new features you would like to see in Oracle Forms.
It could be something that helps you upgrade to later versions?
Maybe a new feature which will allow Forms to more easily use a feature of the platform?
Could it be you want your end Forms application to look and behave differently?
Something to help debugging or tracing your code?

So if you think "I wish Forms could do that" then tell us. Of course, there are no promises ;O) but we welcome your feedback.

Regards
Grant Ronald
Oracle Forms Product Management
  • 1. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    vbaprog Newbie
    Hello Grant !

My first thoughts ...

- Modernize the IDE especially the PL/SQL-Editor
    (Integration of Oracle SQL-Developer)

- New modern item types
    (see Oracle ADF Faces or APEX)

- Modernize the "Look an feel"
    see the abilities:
    http://sheikyerbouti.developpez.com/forms-pjc-bean/LAF/doc/Oracle_Forms_Look_and_Feel_project.htm

Thomas
  • 2. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    FrançoisDegrelle Oracle ACE
    I would like to have and handle high definition images, and also native widgets to play sounds and videos.

Francois
  • 3. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    vbaprog Newbie
    Hello Grant !

Next idea:

A jdapi-gui - a feature to analyze/manipulate a group of Forms source files (.fmb)

Thomas
  • 4. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    frm40735 Journeyer
    I have alot of requests which I will compile when I'm not too busy at work... what's the timescale for this to be answered by?

** will add to it as and when i think of any more ***

•     Ability to set the minimum length of a text field, e.g. on database set to varchar2(7) have a setting on the property palette to set a minimum length of 4, etc. Default to 0
    •     Create a clob/blob datatype on the Items
    •     Why is a canvas background colour different to the Tab page back ground colours at runtime.
    •     Full documentation for those ‘little’ tricks that people always manage to find which is not in the official documentation, for example if a form crashes, using the find and replace to replace a semi-colon with a semi-colon usually fixes any crash that I have.
    •     Tool Palette, ease to add widgets, javabeans, etc.
    •     Have the prompt display at a 90 degree angle.
    •     Ensure that the default colour palette does not change when upgrading from a old version of forms to the latest. (we have issues with pink text items!)
    •     PL/SQL editor, ability to format the code, line numbers, different colours for the keywords
    •     Bring back the old .fmt –style readable code for when .fmbs are lost

•     When a change in the database occurs on your underlying views or tables, when you re-compile automatically adjust the data lengths

Edited by: DM on Feb 2, 2010 3:21 PM

Edited by: DM on Feb 4, 2010 4:20 PM
  • 5. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Mark Reichman Newbie
    The editor should have line numbers so when I compile a program unit and it says "Error 103 at line 35, column1" I can acutally go to where the error is without having to count the lines with my finger. My finger gets sore at arount line 350 due to screen friction. :) I have actually copied the program unit text out of form builder into a more modern text editor to see where the line number is that form builder is talking about. Consider other editor improvements too.

The form builder tool should be able to compare two forms and tell me what is different. It should not just consider program unit code, but properties of items also - Especially default where clauses. I should not have to convert the forms to xml and then use a 3rd part text editor tool to see the differences. Or, use JDAPI or whatever 3rd party tools exist to compare the files. Form builder should compare two forms for me with a couple button clicks.

Common PJC and java widgets, like calendar, should be added to the tool pallette in the layout editor. Making Oracle Forms extensible by adding JAVA support was a good idea, but the power of forms was always that we could just drag and drop objects onto the layour editor without writing code. Seems like forms got away from that focus and now expects you to write a bunch of JAVA to do anything new. If its a drag and droppable widget in JDeveloper why cant it be a drag and drop widget in Oracle Forms - or at least the very common widgets.

Fix the "find and replace" so that it searches default where clauses. If you open a form and what to see if the form has anthing to do with a certain table and you search for the table name the default where clauses are not part of the search. Added: Record group sql also....

If I set a window in the form builder tool to a certain size and shape dont later without my permission automatically make the window go to full size automatically. SQL Developer and JDeveloper do not do this. For example, open the object navigator, make the object navigator window any size other than maximized, view the properties of any objects in the tree by right clicking and selecting properties, press the x on properties window, for some reaons my object navigtor window is now full size? Why does it do that? No thanks..

Edited by: Mark Reichman on Feb 2, 2010 10:41 AM
  • 6. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    spilgrim Pro
    Simple : please update the IDE so that it's like JDeveloper.
    - Code Formatting would be nice (with options for case, spacing, colouring etc...)
    - Hover over objects would reveal their properties , same with the built-ins

What would be lovely would be to have a deployment option. Given that a lot of the focus is on the application server it would be WONDERFUL if all the objects could be assembled into an EAR file and given to the Application Server to deploy (that is a bit too wishful)

One other comment asked for is the ability to get a version number into the Form from a source control tool. I guess that means having a plain text source format again like good 'ol Forms 3.0 !

BLOBS/CLOBS/XMLTYPES fully supported

Ability to use an external CSS for look and feel ... that would make a mixed apex/adf/forms application look the same.

Steve

Edited by: spilgrim on Feb 2, 2010 3:57 PM
  • 7. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    CraigB Guru
    It would like to see a "Code Complete" feature added like so many modern IDE's offer. If I call a Forms Built-in, have the code editor show me the parameters of the built-in and the different options so I don't have to look them up in the Help system.

Craig...
  • 8. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Mark Reichman Newbie
    A program area user asked me to tell you to add a "Back" button just like IE. :)
  • 9. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    do*417019*tt Newbie
    Ability to manipulate the default menu and smartbar rather than having to replace it.
    Adding a library of standard icons (gifs).
    When running a form from the form builder launch the OC4J or weblogic automatically if not already running.
    Ability to see what a block is based on (table, procedure) from help in running form (this was requested by several users).
  • 10. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Charly Schmid Newbie
    Hi Grant

IDE
    -Give us a back a lean development environment. 11g is horror!
    -Code completition in PL/SQL-Editor
    -Modern competitive ui-controls e.g. grids, carousels etc.
    -builtin webutil

Runtime
    -Official Java WebStart support and deployment
    -Non blocking enter-query mode

General
    -More information whats going on with the platform

regards
    Charly
  • 11. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Andreas Weiden Guru
    Hi Grant,

my 2 cent:

1. Ability for dynamic resizing (in fact this means, be able to change the "number of records displayed" at runtime)
    2. support for imagetype "png"
    3. IDE-Enhancements (Dockable navigator, PL/SQL-Auto-Completion, configurable PL/SQL-Code Templates)
    4. Ability to access item-values "outside" the current record
    5. Possibility to enhance Items-types (inheriting base-classe as PJC) which are actually not "enhanceable", like "Hierarchical Tree"
    6. Canvas-type "Split-Panel"
    7. Item-instance-specific Tooltips
  • 12. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    user26842 Newbie
    Greetings Grant,

My current project is to add a "Back" button in several of our application forms to allow users to return to the previous form with saved parameters and query search results. I suggest to have a "Back" button feature implemented as a default feature in Oracle Forms.

Thanks.
  • 13. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    25447 Newbie
    Ditto on:
    IDE
    -Give us a back a lean development environment. 11g is horror! <<<<< PLEASE...this is a joke right now!

-builtin webutil << why not?

Additional:
    Whatever level and APEX has a version of it, allow us to convert fmb, etc to jdeveloper ADF,,i know "old" story...but think about it for a sec...WOW talking about Jdeveloper going off the charts

Switch Oracle Report into: Ireport
    http://jasperforge.org/projects/ireport

Forms Mobile: IDE, etc

wishful thinking...going back to "1" ..lean development...Grant really!
  • 14. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    25447 Newbie
    Ditto on:
    IDE
    -Give us a back a lean development environment. 11g is horror! <<<<< PLEASE...this is a joke right now!

-builtin webutil << why not?

Additional:
    Whatever level and APEX has a version of it, allow us to convert fmb, etc to jdeveloper ADF,,i know "old" story...but think about it for a sec...WOW talking about Jdeveloper going off the charts

Switch Oracle Report into: Ireport
    http://jasperforge.org/projects/ireport

Forms Mobile: IDE, etc

wishful thinking...going back to "1" ..lean development...Grant really!
1 2 3 6 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points