3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2010 11:02 AM by Aman.... RSS

Listener for RAC

I have some questions on listener in a RAC enviroenment. We are using 11.2 on Redhat Linux 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5. The listener status is

[oracle@cchORdb3 admin]$ lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 08-FEB-2010 19:22:49

Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
      STATUS of the LISTENER
      ------------------------
      Alias                     LISTENER
      Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
      Start Date                05-FEB-2010 13:47:30
      Uptime                    3 days 5 hr. 35 min. 19 sec
      Trace Level               off
      Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
      SNMP                      OFF
      Listener Parameter File   /u01/app/grid/network/admin/listener.ora
      Listener Log File         /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/cchORdb3/listener/alert/log.xml
      Listening Endpoints Summary...
        (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=LISTENER)))
        (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.2.0.52)(PORT=1521)))
        (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.2.0.152)(PORT=1521)))
      Services Summary...
      Service "+ASM" has 1 instance(s).
        Instance "+ASM2", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      The command completed successfully
      The location /u01/app/grid/network/admin/listener.ora is in grid_home, and is for ASM. The file has an entries for default listener
      LISTENER=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=LISTENER))))            # line added by Agent
      LISTENER_SCAN1=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=LISTENER_SCAN1))))# line added by Agent

LISTENER_RAC1 =
        (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
      LISTENER_RAC2 =
        (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
      There is no listener.ora file in ORACE_HOME/network/admin
      I tried to start listener in oracle_home, but got error
      TNS-01106: Listener using listener name LISTENER has already been started
      The questions are
      1) Should ASM and database insatnce use the same listerner
      2) Is the listener in RAC work similarly as in the case of single instance?
      3) Does the RAC listerner use listener.ora file in ORACLE_HOME/network/admin?
      4) How to read the listener.ora file in grid_home?
      5) Where can I find documemt on configure Oracle Net for RAC?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Listener for RAC
          Aman....
          The questions are
          1) Should ASM and database insatnce use the same listerner
          Yes. There is no need to configure multiple listeners for both. Using one listener for both is sufficient. More than one listener is not generally needed as long as you don't want to configure some features which need explicitly it like Listener Failover.
          2) Is the listener in RAC work similarly as in the case of single instance?
          In a way yes! The essential job of listener, both in single and RAC instance is to get the connection request fulfilled of the client connections. So in this regard, it works the same in both the environments. In RAC, since the concept of Load Balancing is also there which includes the Server Side Connect Time Load Balancing feature, in this regard the Listener process works with PMON. The workload information of each node is provided by PMON to the listeners running on each node based on the LBA. Using this info, client connections are rerouted by Listner to the appropriate node.
          3) Does the RAC listerner use listener.ora file in ORACLE_HOME/network/admin?
          Yes. But I am not a real RAC expert as I haven't done much work with RAC(yet).
          Hmm like you would read it from Oracle_home.

5) Where can I find documemt on configure Oracle Net for RAC?
          I am not sure that its different for RAC too much. You may wantto startwith docs,
          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e10836/toc.htm

HTH
          Aman....
          • 2. Re: Listener for RAC
            Thank you the the reply. As for question 4
            I meant the default and SCAN entries in lisstener.ora file
            LISTENER=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=LISTENER))))            # line added by Agent
            LISTENER_SCAN1=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=LISTENER_SCAN1))))# line added by Agent
            • 3. Re: Listener for RAC
              Aman....
              I guess, today morning only Daniel mentioned that these entries are yet to be a part of Oralce docs so sorry, I don't know about them at the moment.

Aman....