This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2013 9:55 AM by tluefex Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: SQL Developer lost connection
    561237 Journeyer
    Currently Being Moderated
    Andreas,

I don't know of any connection timeout applied by SQL Developer.

How exact is your 10 minutes? I was able to run the following successfully running with F9, with "StatementRunner Task (Running)" in the Task Progress window stopping after 660 seconds:
    begin
      dbms_lock.sleep(660);
    end;
    /
    Running with F5, the "ScriptRunner Task" in the top of the SQL Worksheet and in the Script Output tab and the "ScriptRunner Task (Running)" in the Task Progress window all stop after 660 seconds.

Are you sure that it isn't something outside of SQL Developer that is closing your connection (ie SQL Net or resource limit or something)? Before you cancel the ScriptRunner, but after you think it has stopped working, does Oracle Manager (OEM?) show that your SQL Developer is still connected?

theFurryOne
  • 16. Re: SQL Developer lost connection
    745247 Newbie
    Hello theFurryOne,
    Are you sure that it isn't something outside of SQL Developer that is closing your connection (ie SQL Net or resource limit or something)?
    I am sure. I run on this machine only the SQL Develeoper.
    Before you cancel the ScriptRunner, but after you think it has stopped working, does Oracle Manager (OEM?) show that your SQL Developer is still connected?
    OEM shows me that the SQL Developer is not conncted to the Database. And in the process curve I see that my anonymous block is done.

I hope it will help you. Now I try it with the dbms_lock.sleep function and will paste you my results.

Andreas
  • 17. Re: SQL Developer lost connection
    tluefex Newbie

Just came across this, it might solve the issue.

1. 2.2. If there is a firewall present between the OC4J instance [...in our case SQLDeveloper, just the JDBC client anyway...] & the Database

The firewall might drop inactive jdbc connections to the database server. However, the OC4J instance cannot detect that the firewall has timed out the connection to the database.

Oracle Net can be configured with Dead Connection Detection (SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME) to workaround this problem. Set EXPIRE_TIME on the database server to a value less than the firewall connection timeout so that DCD keeps the connection to the database alive. See Note 151972.1 "Dead Connection Detection (DCD) Explained". Since this is a setting configured on the database server, not on the midtier, it will apply for all database connections (OCI and thin JDBC).

Alternative solutions:

- Disable or increase the idle timeout parameter of the firewall.

or

- Configure the TCP Keepalive time setting on the database and on midtier servers to a value less than the firewall connection timeout. After setting the TCP Keepalive time, the machines will send repeatedly a null packet after the minutes specified to keep the connections alive. As the packet is sent every time inside the firewall idle timeout, the connection will not get closed.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points