6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2010 10:13 AM by mrmessin RSS

Anyone know where to download Advanced Compression for 11g R2?

JSebastian
      The download Advanced Compression page I've found on OTN seems to be for 11g R1. I've seen no place to download the AC option for 11g R2. Anyone know where I can find that?
        • 1. Re: Anyone know where to download Advanced Compression for 11g R2?
          mrmessin
          When you install the Enterprise Edition of the database the advanced compression is already there, just need to use it, there should not be a required additional download.
          • 2. Re: Anyone know where to download Advanced Compression for 11g R2?
            JSebastian
            Hi,

I though the same thing but the Advanced Compression syntax is not working properly in SQL*PLUS. Perhaps I have it wrong. Oracle has changed the syntax between 10g, 11gR1 and now 11gR2.

I can use the COMPRESS clause with no problem (which as I understand it, provided pre 11g compression) which is not what I want. I want the new 11gR2 COMPRESS FOR OLTP functionality. But when I try to use that syntax, I get an error:

Example:

SQL> select * from v$version;
            Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
            PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
            "CORE     11.2.0.1.0     Production"
            TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
            NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production

SQL> create table t1 (c1 number) compress for oltp;

Error starting at line 1 in command:
            create table t1 (c1 number) compress for oltp
            Error at Command Line:1 Column:37
            Error report:
            SQL Error: ORA-00922: missing or invalid option
            00922. 00000 - "missing or invalid option"
            *Cause:   
            *Action:

SQL> create table t1 (c1 number) compress;
            create table succeeded.

SQL> -- just on the outside chance that 11gR2 still uses the COMPRESS FOR ALL OPERATIONS clause instead of COMPRESS FOR OLTP which I believe is wrong, I tried:
            SQL> create table t2 (c1 number) compress for all operations;

Error starting at line 1 in command:
            create table t2 (c1 number) compress for all operations
            Error at Command Line:1 Column:37
            Error report:
            SQL Error: ORA-00922: missing or invalid option
            00922. 00000 - "missing or invalid option"
            *Cause:   
            *Action:

Given the above errors and the fact that I've seen that Advanced Compression is an add-on licensing cost I assumed something was missing in my environment. Can someone help with the correct syntax for 11gR2 or help me figure out what I'm missing in my install? This an Enterprise Edition installation as shown above.
            • 3. Re: Anyone know where to download Advanced Compression for 11g R2?
              mrmessin
              The compress for all operations is correct.

I execute in my default 11.2 installation and database and it works fine for me.

SQL> create table test (cola varchar2(10)) compress for all operations ;

Table created.

Did you do a custom installation of the Oracle Enterprise Edition Software?
              • 4. Re: Anyone know where to download Advanced Compression for 11g R2?
                mrmessin
                If you could provide you environment as well

What is the compatible parameter of your database set to?

SELECT value
                FROM gv$parameter
                WHERE name LIKE '%compatible%';

It should be 11.1.0.0.0 or higher if not then the advanced compression will not work.
                • 5. Re: Anyone know where to download Advanced Compression for 11g R2?
                  JSebastian
                  Thank you! You just hit the nail on the head! This was a 10.2.0.4 database I converted and have forgotten to raise up the compatibility parameter.