9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 10:25 PM by Hans Forbrich RSS

Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual

I am an independent Peoplesoft Consultant and want to do research on Tools release, but all the interesting docs seem to be behind the My Oracle Support login.

Since I don't have a current client with access, is there a way for me, as an individual to purchase support?

Thanks,
      P H Semple
        • 1. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
          You can license Standard Edition for around $700 and pay the 22% maintenance fee thereafter on a yearly basis.
          • 2. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
            jgarry
            user9168311 wrote:
            I am an independent Peoplesoft Consultant and want to do research on Tools release, but all the interesting docs seem to be behind the My Oracle Support login.

Since I don't have a current client with access, is there a way for me, as an individual to purchase support?
            One way is to go to the online store, buy personal oracle, then buy support for $100/yr. There may be cheaper ways (I understood it used to be Collaboration Suite, I don't know about now), that was just the first thing I found. http://www.oracle.com/products/buy/index.html There may be some peoplesoft thing I don't know about, of course.

It may be in the future they tighten up what you are allowed to see or download, no one can know unless they tell us. I don't have any peoplesoft, I just put "peoplesoft tools" into MOS search and got a bunch of hits, and I seem to have access to patches.

It may be worth your while to look into the oracle partner program, something like $1500/yr plus some certs needed or somesuch (I haven't looked recently, but I think it is periodically revamped), but you get some online listing.
            • 3. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
              Thank you for the feedback. I will go shopping and see what I can find.

Thanks again,
              Phsemple
              • 4. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
                Nicolas.Gasparotto
                Since everything has been merge into MOS (ex-Peoplesoft Global Support Customer and ex-Metalink3), you can see all the Oracle product notes within your own Oracle Personal Edition license (as noted above, the cheapest way to reach Oracle support website). You'll see all the notes, patches, requirements and so on for Peoplesoft.
                However, I'm not really sure how long it will remain and how far it is allowed, since you're not licensed for Peoplesoft. So maybe it is better to contact a Oracle sale representative, and/or buy the cheapest Peoplesoft licensed described here http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/peoplesoft-price-list.pdf and go for a Peopletools licensed (see on page 4 => 1,150USD product cost + 250USD for update and support).

Nicolas.
                • 5. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
                  Hans Forbrich
                  phsemple wrote:
                  Why not sign up with Oracle's Partner program and get both official access and appropriate recognition? Yes, there is a cost to it, but that happens to be the cost of doing business. And the benefits ... ah .. the benefits can be gi-norm-ous.
                  • 6. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
                    jgarry
                    N Gasparotto wrote:
                    Since everything has been merge into MOS (ex-Peoplesoft Global Support Customer and ex-Metalink3), you can see all the Oracle product notes within your own Oracle Personal Edition license (as noted above, the cheapest way to reach Oracle support website). You'll see all the notes, patches, requirements and so on for Peoplesoft.
                    However, I'm not really sure how long it will remain and how far it is allowed, since you're not licensed for Peoplesoft. So maybe it is better to contact a Oracle sale representative, and/or buy the cheapest Peoplesoft licensed described here http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/peoplesoft-price-list.pdf and go for a Peopletools licensed (see on page 4 => 1,150USD product cost + 250USD for update and support).
                    Thanks for that Nicolas. But notice the minimums, you have to multiply by that... and Oracle wonders why people still play games with licensing, and some just give up playing.
                    • 7. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
                      Nicolas.Gasparotto
                      jgarry wrote:
                      Thanks for that Nicolas. But notice the minimums, you have to multiply by that...
                      Yeah, right, it seems I overlooked the minimum multiply factoring.
                      ...and Oracle wonders why people still play games with licensing, and some just give up playing.
                      So, maybe as you said, and seconded by Hans, Oracle Partner Program is a better way.

Anyway,the situation is "quite" new with MOS for Peoplesoft customer (as well as JD Edwards), so far they were in other system which required an other authentication account. In two years time they changed twice the support website, previously that was Metalink3, and a year before that was GSC. And now everything is merged within Oracle database support, much easier to manage, but also could be confusing regarding the support access rights.

Nicolas.
                      • 8. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
                        jgarry
                        N Gasparotto wrote:
                        >
                        ...and Oracle wonders why people still play games with licensing, and some just give up playing.
                        So, maybe as you said, and seconded by Hans, Oracle Partner Program is a better way.
                        I wouldn't know, I was just throwing it out. When I was indie, I looked at it, and it just didn't seem worth the expense to me, though it was for people I worked for (and wanted to work for :) ). Hans, I'm curious, could you be more specific on how it benefitted you?

>
                        Anyway,the situation is "quite" new with MOS for Peoplesoft customer (as well as JD Edwards), so far they were in other system which required an other authentication account. In two years time they changed twice the support website, previously that was Metalink3, and a year before that was GSC. And now everything is merged within Oracle database support, much easier to manage, but also could be confusing regarding the support access rights.
                        Yeah, I noticed the Virtual Iron forum from that cloud computing thread, showed it to my VI buddy, who didn't know about it. He noted the forum kind of reflects how people are running away from the product now that it is Oracle. Crickets chirping, one could say.
                        • 9. Re: Purchasing My Oracle Support Access for Individual
                          Hans Forbrich
                          jgarry wrote:
                          I wouldn't know, I was just throwing it out. When I was indie, I looked at it, and it just didn't seem worth the expense to me, though it was for people I worked for (and wanted to work for :) ). Hans, I'm curious, could you be more specific on how it benefitted you?
                          One price (almost ... reasonable) for legal access to all product and all support. And ability to hang 'partner' on business card - which give some credibility when talking to (gov't) folk about contracts.