This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 1:33 AM by 510666 RSS

Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions

user629987 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have a general question about Oracle ILM and not about ILM Assistant, so I hope it is okay for me to post my question here...

I would like to know what the differences are between an Oracle ILM solution and the ILM solution of IBM and HP, for example.
And why would/should a company choose an Oracle ILM solution instead of another ILM solution? (what makes Oracle's ILM better than other ILM solutions?)
Also, does anyone have a list of the similarities & differences between Oracle's ILM and that of IBM & HP (or any other company)?

I hope someone can help me out with this, as it is rather important!
Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    325351 Newbie
    ILM is all about managing data during its lifetime, so the first question to ask the vendor is which parts of the data lifecycle do they support?

Oracle ILM is focused on managing data for all of its lifetime, from the day it is created until it is time to delete it. We achieve this by distributing the data APPLICATION TRANSPARENTLY across different types of storage devices by using Partitioning. Partitioning can often improve performance when data volumes increase. If someone tells you that increasing data in the database degrades performance, ask them for proof when the data is partitioned. They will only be able to give you numbers for non-partitioned tables.

We can then allow this data to grow so that you can keep it all in one place by ensuring that users only see the data they need using a feature called VPD which sets up policies on data usage. Therefore User A might only be allowed to see 1 years data but User B could see 10years. This is all done TRANSPARENTLY by the database, so no application changes are required.

With all this data backups time will increase is another claim. But if you set the old data to read only and take incremental backups then backup times will actually be faster and smaller. If you have a huge database many organizations now look at using copies for immediate recovery rather than backups because its much faster.

The one area that Oracle ILM does not cover is archiving, but I would ask the question why do you want to archive?

You don't need to:
    - archive for performance - use partitioning
    - worry about runaway queries - use VPD
    - increase backup times and size - set areas read-only and use incremental

Archiving is a complex process where all data relationships have to be maintained ie you have to archive the orders and the customer details as well. This takes time and valuable computing resources and why do it when you can keep the data in the original database. Therefore I recommend online archiving using devices like Copan MAID (see white paper on OTN) and simply only remove data from the database when it is no longer required.

feel free to ask any more questions about Oracle ILM here

Lilian
  • 2. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    user629987 Newbie
    Hi Lilian,

Thanks a million for the detailed reply!

When you say "which parts of the data lifecycle do they support", what exactly do you mean by that? Is it not so, that all ILM solutions manage data from the day of creation til day of deletion?

Do you (or anyone else) have a list of the similarities & differences between Oracle ILM and that of at least 2 other vendors? I would like to do a comparison for a research paper that I am writing on ILM.
    Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    325351 Newbie
    Most ILM solutions only target a specific area. e,g, Princeton Softech (now owned by IBM) is only an archiving tool so it only moves data to generally cheaper storage.

ILM is concerned with all aspects of data management e.g. security, recoverability

Often you have to buy another tool to achieve these requirements

By using a database system for your ILM system most of the features that you need to build a complete ILM solution are already there

Lilian
  • 4. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    I have used IBM's solution and I agree with Lilian, but Oracle's ILM is still nascent, and it's right now like HTMLDB with lots of hair-pulling glitches. I wish they would make the installation process hassle free.
  • 5. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    user629987 Newbie
    Lilian,

You said that Oracle ILM does not cover archiving. But I see in your "Implementing ILM using Oracle ILM Assistant" online presentation, that there is online & offline archiving...so what do you mean when you say it does not cover archiving?

Also, I saw on internet, a video over an ILM discussion and there it was mentioned that, with an Online Storage, the costs are very high. With an Offline storage, the costs are lower but the data is not accessible. Therefore, a middle-tier called Archival is introduced, where the costs are reasonable and access to the data is almost as near to online storage.

Could you please explain what the middle-tier archival is & does and the difference between that and online/offline archiving? I am confused with the terms online/offline storage/archiving and archival.
    And if this is true, why wouldnt Oracle introduce archiving, if it lowers the costs (eventhough it is tedious work)?
    Thanks.
  • 6. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    325351 Newbie
    Please do not confuse Oracle ILM with the Oracle ILM Assistant.

The Oracle ILM Assistant is a tool to help you manage your ILM environment and you can build an Oracle ILM solution without it.

where as Oracle ILM is all the features in the database that you can use to build an ILM soluion

Lilian

we are working on the installation process. in theory it should be smooth but that doesn't always happen and we are working to fix it.
  • 7. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    325351 Newbie
    What I mean is that we do not provide scripts to perform the archiving operation.

The costs of an online storage are not that high depending on the storage being used.
    I tend to refer to the online archive tier as something like a MAID device and offline archive would be a tape

An online archive is one where the archive data is held online. It may not be mounted but it can be accessed very quickly. Offline archive is something like tape. Archival is most likely another name for the online archive.

Oracle is promoting the online archive which means keeping the data online .

Its questionable as to whether having a separate archive would reduce costs because you have to consider hardware requirements, licenses, maintenance time, software costs and the complexity of writing the archive program. A lot depends on how likely it is that you will need access to historic data. If its for e-discovery you could be looking at hefty fines if you can't produce it within a small time window.

Lilian

Lilian
  • 8. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Lilian, thanks for the clarification.

regards
  • 9. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    user629987 Newbie
    Ok, thanks Lilian!
  • 10. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    user8769511 Newbie
    Hi,
    If I want to go with the ARCHIVING for cheaper storage, Is Oracle Purge Archive ILM has all the funtionalities compare to other HP,IBM and Solix archiving solutions for Oracle EBS.

Can you please give us the differences between Oracle Purge Archive ILM and other vendors like IBM,HP and SOLIX archiving solutions for Oracle EBS.?

Thanks in advance.
    bsr
  • 11. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    user83989 Newbie
    Hi ,

We want to archive EBS 11i data ( Inventory,GL ,AP etc..) and place the archived data on another database .
    We are currently evaluating IBM's OPTIM solution ( archival and test data management) . Does Oracle ILM has same features as IBM OPTIM ?
    license cost wise which is cheaper ?
    Please let me know
  • 12. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    769824 Newbie
    Here are the differences between Oracle ILM and purge routines with enterprise application archiving solutions like Informatica Data Archive and IBM Optim:

Oracle ILM partitions the database and place the data on the appropriate storage location, but doesn't remove the inactive data from the DB. This means you improve application performance by partitioning, but you still need to spend time further tuning the DB when the DB size grows. Your backup and recovery window will also continue to grow w/ the data volume, since the data still stays in the production DB. You will reduce storage cost by moving the inactive data to lower cost storage. However, your server and software license cost will continue to grow w/ the additional CPU required to process the additional data.

Oracle purge routines only covers some Oracle E-Biz modules and is not customizable based on your specific business rules for purging/archiving.

Application archiving solutions will move inactive records from your DB, while maintaining data and referential integrity. This means you reduce backup and recovery window since there is less data in the production system, improve application performance by reducing the data that needs to be processed, and reduce storage cost by moving inactive data to cheaper storage. These solutions usually also include pre-built metadata for the specific applications to ensure data integrity is maintained and only inactive data are archived based on the application-specific business rules. Different vendors have varying application module coverage and ease of extensibility of the pre-built metadata and business rules.

You should also evaluate Informatica Data Archive who is the market leader in enterprise application archiving, like Oracle E-Biz, according to the last Gartner report.
  • 13. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    user83989 Newbie
    Hi user3426720 ,

Thanks for your time and reply to answer the questions .
    Also have you used IBMs OPTIM archive/subsetting solution with e-BIz , any cons with this product

Thanks,
  • 14. Re: Oracle ILM compared to other ILM solutions
    816574 Newbie
    Hi Lilan,

As I understand, VPD requires a physical Oracle User Account and in this regard, my question is:

How VPD can be used / applied in EBS environment, where the application users do not have corresponding individual Oracle User accounts.

Reards,
    Venu Bhagvatula
1 2 Previous Next