12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 8:47 AM by frm40735

how did i get the points?

frm40735
      ok i went from 25 points in my control panel to 195..ummm how? sure i posted suggestions but for the life of me, i dont' know which answer i gave was complete and utter s**t or made the person think to give me points LOL
      is there a way where I can see which questions i replied to to see what was helpful or whatever?
        • 1. Re: how did i get the points?
          Hoek
          Does it really matter?
          You can get 10 points for the wrong answer and 0 for the right one.
          The real fun is in participating and learning something every day.

But:
          If you go to 'your control panel', you'll find some settings you can set.
          Amongst others: an email alert whenever someone has replied to a thread you've participated in.

But still:
          Usually you know yourself already, when replying, whether you've sold rubbish or something useful.
          Don't bother about it, that points thing, since it's very unpredictable.
          Try to learn each day, and that's hard enough, since you'll forget things as well ;)
          First thing to forget for you: the points.
          Yes, they're nice, but I've learnt much much much nicer Oracle things over here.
          That's what really counts.
          • 2. Re: how did i get the points?
            Nicolas Gasparotto
            hoek wrote:
            Usually you know yourself already, when replying, whether you've sold rubbish or something useful.
            Nothing is less sure. You can believe that's good, but it can be revealed as totally crappy answer.

Nicolas.
            • 3. Re: how did i get the points?
              frm40735
              Does it really matter?
              no..that wasn't my point....i just wanted to know which answer(s) i provided which yielded points. a perfectly legitimate question/suggestion.
              • 4. Re: how did i get the points?
                Nicolas Gasparotto
                Currently not possible, unless to go through all the threads you participated into and check for all your answers.

Nicolas.
                • 5. Re: how did i get the points?
                  frm40735
                  ta everyone
                  • 6. Re: how did i get the points?
                    >

ta everyone
                    The point is not so much to 'Ta everyone' but to award the helpful peoples the points, unless you are from Sutton Poyntz in which case I would excuse you. ;-)

(And yes ... i have been awarded 10 points for some totally wrong answers and have had to go back and sheepishly correct or try to ignore, and sometimes some of my best answers have been left unrewarded, but I like the comment it all really a bit of fun and evens out over time)

Please don't award me personally anything for this post, i'd feel that was a little inappropriate and would make me feel a little bashful.
                    • 7. Re: how did i get the points?
                      DM wrote:

ok i went from 25 points in my control panel to 195..ummm how?
                      I have asked for these to deleted before but I am not sure it is possible with this limited forum software.

A modest proposal

They do seem to have some benefits though. It certainly seems to encourage some people to do other people's work for them and act as unpaid support representatives which has come in very handy due to the frequent and extended outages visited upon the official support channels by the fanciful experiment to turn Flash into a reliable mission critical development platform. Hopefully the glowing success of that project will not encourage them to rewrite the database server software in Commodore 64 basic.

And it is much easier to get your homework done for you now. In the old days you might have to pay someone to do your homework for you, or at least give them candy or a toy soldier. But now due to the advances of modern technology people will queue up to do your homework or your certification and interview questions and all you have to do is increment a counter on a web site and they feel happy about it.
                      • 8. Re: how did i get the points?
                        user649511
                        Good comments.
                        • 9. Re: how did i get the points?
                          frm40735
                          >
                          But now due to the advances of modern technology people will queue up to do your homework or your certification and interview questions and all you have to do is increment a counter on a web site and they feel happy about it.>

i don't quite understand that statement? I am neither a student nor a consultant and i use this forum when I am not busy at work, it helps me look at problems and try to solve them.
                          what is this counter on a web site you are referring too??
                          • 10. Re: how did i get the points?
                            DM wrote:
                            >
                            But now due to the advances of modern technology people will queue up to do your homework or your certification and interview questions and all you have to do is increment a counter on a web site and they feel happy about it.>

i don't quite understand that statement? I am neither a student nor a consultant and i use this forum when I am not busy at work, it helps me look at problems and try to solve them.
                            Sorry I wasn't referring to you specifically, it was just badly phrased. I mean that I think the points generally seem to encourage others to do other people's homework more frequently than if there was no incentive. And that the reward itself is pretty poor being just a points counter on a flaky web site that is going to probably get wiped out due to some future improvement. Or maybe it will be the only feature that will ultimately survive, sort of like they say about cockroaches after nuclear armageddon.
                            1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: how did i get the points?
                              DM wrote:
                              >

Be pleased to point out do not believe pointlessly pointing at you but rather pointlessly pointing at other pointless people pointedly using forum for other pointedly thrilled pointless people to pointlessly accumulate points.

Of course real question is, given the nature of the question, I observe you have not awarded any 5 points for helpful answers to this thread, or 10 points to a correct answer, and I am wondering if yu know how to do this. The reward points are mentined in the FAQ links.

As the original poster you have the opportunity to distribute 25 helpful points by the HELPFUL buttons, and 10 points via the CORRECT button (and the subtle irony is, given the question subject, you have so far not this despite marking question as answered ;-) )

Of course I am just having a little fun here ... though my joke does not transfer well to the written word and my humour.

These have been (flaming) debates on the pointlessness of the points system .... I think I'm marginally in favour of the metric but not strongly so (and I think any sophisticated changes to it would be not worth the candle). From my point of view it can be a (very) imperfect indicator of the credence of a poster (but should never be used alone); it can be a quick way of saying thankyou to some answers providing they are not materially misleading; and I can keep an eye on my points/post ratio as a review to check if I am answering questions effectively if it decreases over a period. However I do get rewards for rubbish (and even incorrect answers) while IMHO some great answers go unmarked.

Remember if you have 6 posts in a thread some people could even give you 5 points for that thread, and sometimes threads can be reviewed days later, causing a big increase.
                              1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: how did i get the points?
                                frm40735
                                got your point..and now so do some of you ;)