This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2012 8:10 AM by Acooper RSS

Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?

765665 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear friends
I have seen in many documents , that the Active Data Guard needs additional license , but one of my friends said that he could implement Active Data Guard without any licenses ( he only downloaded the Enterprise edition of database 11g r2 ).
my question : is the active data guard license , a technical license or legal license ?
  • 1. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    Your "friend" needs a trip to a re-education camp.

Laws against bank robbery do not prevent you from trying to rob a bank either.

Active Data Guard is a syntax ... as is using AWR, or partitioning, or RMAN encryption, or the COMPRESS FOR ALL OPERATIONS syntax.

Your "friend" has created a legal liability for his employer that could result in substantial financial penalties.

When you make an agreement, such as to license a product, you are not allowed to put your ethics on hold because violating the license is inconvenient.

Here's what Oracle can and will run:
    http://www.morganslibrary.org/reference/dbms_feature_usage_rpt.html
    And your "friend" ... if the employer figures it out ... will likely have a very bad day.
  • 2. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    765665 Newbie
    Dear friends;
    I describe my problem as below ( if it is possible , please help me ) :
    I inter the following command :
    alter database open read only;
    alter database recover managed standby database using current logfile disconnect;
    I can see the log files are transmitted to standby database after the following command :
    ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT;
    select max(Sequence#) from v$log;
    but the problem is that , I can not see the changes in the standby DB , and the standby db is not up-to-date .
    but when I inter the following commands :
    alter database recover managed standby database cancel;
    alter database recover managed standby database using current logfile disconnect;
    then I will see the update data in my tables .
  • 3. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    We know what your friend installed but we have no idea what you have done.
    Not the version, the operating system, how you configured Data Guard? Maximum what?
    Nor have you posted the results of querying any view or any portion of the alert log?

We can not help you with what is wrong based on what is essentially no information at all.
  • 4. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    765665 Newbie
    My OS is : oracle enterprise Linux 5.4 x86-64 bit
    My Database 11g r2 .
    Physical standby protection mode : maximum performance
    Sincerely yours.
  • 5. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    Dr. Paranoid Pro
    1) If you have not licensed Active Data Guard and you are doing what you are doing, you are in License Non-Compliance. And the database will show that you used Active Data Guard when they do an audit. The same goes for your friend.

2) When you open the standby database read only and restart the apply, that is Active Data Guard. But it can take a few minutes for things to get synchronized before you will see the data. Stopping and restarting the apply won't be the issue unless you forgot the USING CURRENT LOGFILE the first time, which you say you did not.

3) Maximum Performance in 11.2 defaults to ASYNC. But if you explicitly used ARCH then you will not see the data until a log switch at the Primary.

Monitor V$MANAGED_STANDBY and see what log the MRP is at. SELECT CLIENT_PROCESS,PROCESS,THREAD#,SEQUENCE#,STATUS FROM V$MANAGED_STANDBY WHERE PROCESS LIKE 'MRP%';

Larry
  • 6. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    765665 Newbie
    My Friends
    When I use the following commands :
    SQL> ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT;
    SQL> Alter system switch logfile;

I will see that log files transferred to standby database log destination .

I use those command many times , but my stand by database is not up-to-date ?
    The output from standby database is :
    SQL> SELECT CLIENT_PROCESS,PROCESS,THREAD#,SEQUENCE#,STATUS FROM V$MANAGED_STANDBY WHERE PROCESS LIKE 'MRP%';

CLIENT_P PROCESS THREAD# SEQUENCE# STATUS
    -------- --------- ---------- ---------- ------------
    N/A     MRP0          2     210 WAIT_FOR_LOG
  • 7. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    Dr. Paranoid Pro
    It is waiting for Thread 2 Sequence 210. What sequence are the Primary nodes currently writing?

Since it does not say it is applying log then you are have one or more of the following configuration issues.

1. You are not using SYNC or ASYNC to transport the redo
    2. You have not started the MRP using the 'USING CURRENT LOGFILE' syntax.
    3. You have not defined any standby redo log files at the standby

You may also want to look at V$ARCHIVE_GAP on the standby.

Larry
  • 8. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    764479 Newbie
    I used to work with Oracle Consulting . . . your don't want them to show up with an Audit Team . . .
  • 9. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    raindog Newbie
    user8336252 wrote:
    Dear friends
    I have seen in many documents , that the Active Data Guard needs additional license , but one of my friends said that he could implement Active Data Guard without any licenses ( he only downloaded the Enterprise edition of database 11g r2 ).
    my question : is the active data guard license , a technical license or legal license ?
    Wow, everyone seems to want to jump up and trumpet their superior licensing knowledge in Big Legal Voice tones instead of simply answering the poor guy's question.

If you have a server that has an Oracle EE database on it, you need to license it. It doesn't matter if only a standby database is on the server - DataGuard is just a feature like other features. One server with a primary + one server with the standby = 2 servers you need to pay licenses for.

Everyone else, relax, answer the question, and stop waving your Big Swinging Audit Team language. The original poster demonstrates how widely misunderstood Oracle licensing is among DBAs - which given how often it's changed, is not a surprise ;-)
  • 10. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    Scotch Brite Newbie
    The answer to question is:
    "must be licensed for every such physical standby, and also for the primary database."

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/license.111/b28287/options.htm
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/options.htm#CJADECHA

If you have two cpu with hexacore intel xeon, you need six licenses, and you physical has one hexacore (three licenses). Then you need nine licenses for this product apart for all enterprises licenses.
  • 11. Re: Active Data Guard License is technical or legal ?
    Acooper Explorer
    Please don't pull up two year questions and try to answer them.

All this does is make a mess of the forum.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points