This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 12:47 PM by 864403 RSS

Difference b/w CPU  and PSU

728006 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Can i know the difference between CPU and PSU Patches and is there any difference is there for these two patches CPU Patch 9352191, or PSU Patch 9352164

KK
  • 1. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Rajesh Lathwal Guru
    As of 14 July 2009, Oracle is now introducing a new method for patching, patch set updates, or PSU. According to MOSC notes 854428.1 and 850471.1, Oracle PSU is a new patching strategy whereby the DBA can choose only "recommended" and "proactive" patches, instead of all of the patches in a quarterly Cumulative Patch Update (CPU).

An Oracle PSU contains recommended bug fixes and "proactive" cumulative patches, a nice change that makes it simple for the DBA to chose to apply "priority" patches.

Please refer

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_patch_set_update_psu.htm

Regards
    Rajesh

Edited by: rajesh.lathwal on Apr 14, 2010 2:55 PM
  • 2. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    If there were no differences, that won't be named differently.
    PSU includes a couple of one-off patches and CPU, whereas CPU is... well only CPU.
    In your case, no surprise, CPU patch 9352191 is included into PSU 9352164.

Nicolas.
  • 3. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Exadba Pro
    PSU are good, in addition of the CPU they include a bunch of one-off patches whereas CPU is only CPU patch.
    PSU avoid to apply individual patch if needed.
    PSU are bigger, they can introduce more new bugs.
  • 4. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    rajesh.lathwal wrote:
    ...instead of all of the patches in a quarterly Cumulative Patch Update (CPU).
    CPU means Critical Patch Update.

Nicolas.
  • 5. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Rajesh Lathwal Guru
    CPU means Critical Patch Update.

Nicolas.
    Thanks Nicolas for correcting...
  • 6. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    748680 Newbie
    Correct me if I am wrong on following two points:

1. As PSU is released every quarter so,if we are going with PSU patchset, then we need not apply CPU patchset ever (as PSU contains CPU).

2. And if we are going with CPU patchset from the beginning, then surely we are missing something everytime ( as going with PSU is more beneficial because it contains several one-off pathes in addition to CPU patch)
  • 7. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    CPUs are released every quarter - there is no official release schedule for PSUs. Once you apply a PSU, you cannot apply CPUs - you need to choose which "path" you want to take - the CPU path or the PSU path.

See MOS Doc 854428.1 - Intro to Patch Set Updates (PSU) (especially Sections 3 and 9)

Also see this related thread - Re: PSU Vs CPU

HTH
    Srini
  • 8. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    748680 Newbie
    schavali wrote:
    CPUs are released every quarter - there is no official release schedule for PSUs. Once you apply a PSU, you cannot apply CPUs - you need to choose which "path" you want to take - the CPU path or the PSU path.

See MOS Doc 854428.1 - Intro to Patch Set Updates (PSU) (especially Sections 3 and 9)

Also see this related thread - Re: PSU Vs CPU

HTH
    Srini
    Srini,

Thanks for replying.

I disagree to this . If you see MOS Doc 854428.1, then it is clearly mentioned in first paragraph itself

" Patch Set Updates (PSUs) are proactive cumulative patches containing recommended bug fixes that are released on a regular and predictable schedule. PSUs are on the same quarterly schedule as the Critical Patch Updates (CPU), specifically the Tuesday closest to the 15th of January, April, July, and October "

Secondly, We can apply CPU after PSU. I successfully applied the same on one of our environment.
    Also, it is mentioned in MOS Doc 854428.1 itself,

"Once a PSU has been installed, the recommended way to get future security content is to apply subsequent PSUs. Reverting from PSU back to CPU, while *possible*, would require significant effort, and so is not advised."

My question is that
    Will applying PSU everytime would suffice? and going with CPU path is not sufficient as we are missing several one- off patches ?
  • 9. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Thanks for the update - I was not aware the PSUs are now released every quarter - this must be a recent development.

If this is indeed the case, then my recommendation would be to apply PSUs every quarter (or as your patching schedule permits). PSUs include CPUs and other bug fixes - so I do not see the value of only applying CPUs.

As the doc notes, it is not recommended to apply CPUs on top of PSUs - I am not sure why you would want to go against that recommendation.

My $0.02

HTH
    Srini
  • 10. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Flake Newbie
    Schavali,

You said
    CPUs are released every quarter - there is no official release schedule for PSUs...
    But, according to MOSC doc id 854428.1
     ...PSUs are on the same quarterly schedule as the Critical Patch Updates (CPU), ...
    Thanks,
  • 11. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    Rafi (Oracle DBA) Pro
    Hi Flake,
    Both CPUs and PSUs are release on quaterly basis.But,when you apply PSU no need to apply CPU.Check the below link of mine can help you.

http://rafioracledba.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-apply-database-patches.html

Best regards,

Rafi.
    http://rafioracledba.blogspot.com
  • 12. Re: Difference b/w CPU  and PSU
    864403 Explorer
    See detailed explanation

http://swervedba.wordpress.com/2011/05/30/oracle-patch-sets-psu-and-cpu/

Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points