2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 7:29 PM by stuartu

Possible trojan with 11gR2 Windows 32-bit client on OTN?

stuartu
      I tried downloading the 11gR2 32-bit and 64-bit clients from OTN yesterday. The 64-bit version downloaded fine, but my antivirus software ( ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 ) refuses to complete the download and says it is possibly infected with a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan (have tried more than once, but get same error).

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle11g/112010_win32soft.html, then win32_11gR2_client.zip (684,581,290 bytes)

I've raised this with Oracle, but was wondering if anyone else might have this problem with another virus software program.

Edited by: stuartu on Apr 8, 2010 7:53 AM
        • 1. Re: Possible trojan with 11gR2 Windows 32-bit client on OTN?
          Eric P. Maurice-Oracle
          Hi, this is Eric Maurice.

We ran the files through another antivirus with the latest version of the signatures, and we found the file to be clean. However, our tests showed that when scanned with Avira Antivir, a potential problem is reported. However the alert resulted from the use of the heuristic scan engine, which in our test was turned on, and set to "Medium", not from a known signatures (i.e. known malware for which an antivirus signature was created).

As a result, we believe the issue you reported to be resulting from a false positive generated by the heuristic scanner engine of Avira Antivir. You could contact Avira to let them know of this issue.

For more information about Oracle Software Security Assurance, see http://www.oracle.com/security/software-security-assurance.html
          • 2. Re: Possible trojan with 11gR2 Windows 32-bit client on OTN?
            stuartu
            Thanks. I've emailed the vendor about this. Yes, I agree, this is a false positive.

Oracle replied to my SR yesterday and said they used McAfee, and that they had no problems, also indicating a false positive with my antivirus software.