1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 5:42 PM by oradba

Issue about tnsping utility

Can anyone answer why the utillity TNSPING show me that the Database is "up" but when I try to connect in UATAUDDB Database the follow error is show me: ERROR: ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

The issue is not about the connect descriptor.

The issue is about TNSPING utility. I need to know when is possible to ping some database as below and cant' stabilish conection with the pinged database.

C:\>tnsping uatauddb 5

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.1.0.7.0 - Production on 20-ABR-2010 14:11:52
      Copyright (c) 1997, 2008, Oracle. All rights reserved.
      Arquivos de parÔmetros usados: C:\oracle\oracl11g\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Usado o adaptador LDAP para resolver o apelido
      Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=uatauddb)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=uatauddb)(SERVER=DEDICATED)))
      OK (0 ms)
      OK (20 ms)
      OK (0 ms)
      OK (0 ms)
      OK (0 ms)

Edited by: lucitah on Apr 20, 2010 2:20 PM

Edited by: lucitah on Apr 20, 2010 2:23 PM
        • 1. Re: Issue about tnsping utility
          oradba
          TNSPING does not show that the database is up, it only checks is there a listener running on port <nnnn>.

ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor Cause: The listener received a request to establish a connection to a database or other service. The connect descriptor received by the listener specified a SID for an instance (usually a database instance) that either has not yet dynamically registered with the listener or has not been statically configured for the listener. This may be a temporary condition such as after the listener has started, but before the database instance has registered with the listener.
          Action:
          - Wait a moment and try to connect a second time.

- Check which instances are currently known by the listener by executing: lsnrctl services <listener name>

- Check that the SID parameter in the connect descriptor specifies an instance known by the listener.

- Check for an event in the listener.log file.

Werner
          1 person found this helpful