This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2010 12:07 PM by 761290 RSS

IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov

761290 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Jdeveloper 11G 11.1.1.1, WLS 10.3.1, Oracle DB 11G, Windows Vista

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly provided for this find operation.

It appears to be the query that is returning the error through the Session Bean.
EodSBBean.getContainers(EodSBBean.java:739)

The error shows every time I go to the page that is displaying the information from the session/entity 3.0 query.

BUT... the information is actually displayed correctly. I cannot seem to find where this is seeing a null for the PK.

This particular table has several foreign keys and also has a parent as well.

How do I trace down the table that is causing the issue?

Thanks in advanced for your help,
Tracy
  • 1. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    Jan Vervecken Journeyer
    hi Tracy

It could be useful if you can post a part of the stacktrace for the IllegalArgumentException you see (e.g. the first 10 lines starting with the java.lang.IllegalArgumentException).

regards
    Jan
  • 2. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    Here you go... Thanks for looking into it!

Messages for this page are listed below.
    Unexpected exception caught: javax.ejb.EJBException, msg=EJB Exception: : java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly provided for this find operation.
    at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerImpl.findInternal(EntityManagerImpl.java:469)
    at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerImpl.find(EntityManagerImpl.java:428)
    at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerImpl.find(EntityManagerImpl.java:336)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at weblogic.deployment.BasePersistenceContextProxyImpl.invoke(BasePersistenceContextProxyImpl.java:90)
    at weblogic.deployment.TransactionalEntityManagerProxyImpl.invoke(TransactionalEntityManagerProxyImpl.java:89)
    at weblogic.deployment.BasePersistenceContextProxyImpl.invoke(BasePersistenceContextProxyImpl.java:80)
    at weblogic.deployment.TransactionalEntityManagerProxyImpl.invoke(TransactionalEntityManagerProxyImpl.java:24)
    at $Proxy143.find(Unknown Source)
    at mil.af.aces.eod.ims.session.EodSBBean.getContainers(EodSBBean.java:739)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:310)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:182)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:149)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.jee.spi.MethodInvocationVisitorImpl.visit(MethodInvocationVisitorImpl.java:37)
    at weblogic.ejb.container.injection.EnvironmentInterceptorCallbackImpl.callback(EnvironmentInterceptorCallbackImpl.java:54)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.jee.spi.EnvironmentInterceptor.invoke(EnvironmentInterceptor.java:50)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:89)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)
    at com.bea.core.repackaged.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
    at $Proxy145.getContainers(Unknown Source)
    at mil.af.aces.eod.ims.session.EodSB_eup768_EodSBLocalImpl.getContainers(EodSB_eup768_EodSBLocalImpl.java:5420)
  • 3. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    Jan Vervecken Journeyer
    hi Tracy

Maybe others reading this thread can do a suggestion based on the stacktrace you posted.

(You write "... the information is actually displayed correctly ...", but could it be that your method "mil.af.aces.eod.ims.session.EodSBBean.getContainers()" is somehow called twice, where only the second time (different) input causes the IllegalArgumentException?)

success
    Jan
  • 4. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    I am only making one call in the whole program, it is a brand new project and this is my first pages.

I actually tried placing the table on the same page with the executable button and forwarding to another page and placing the table on it. Both return the same message.
  • 5. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    Jan Vervecken Journeyer
    hi Tracy

Since this is "... a brand new project ..." you might be able to post some steps (coarse-grained or fine-grained) to reproduce your problem?

regards
    Jan
  • 6. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    First page...

two input fields and a submit button - executes the following session bean method

public List<Containers> getContainers(Long orgId, Long typeId) {
    Organizations org = em.find(Organizations.class, orgId);
    return getContainersFindByOrgAndTypeId(org, typeId);
    }

The getContainers calls this method

public List<Containers> getContainersFindByOrgAndTypeId(Organizations org,
    Long typeId) {
    return em.createNamedQuery("Containers.findByOrgAndTypeId").setParameter("org", org).setParameter("typeId", typeId).getResultList();
    }

Which in turn calls this entity's NamedQuery

@NamedQuery(name = "Containers.findByOrgAndTypeId", query = "select o from Containers o where o.organizations = :org AND o.typeId = :typeId")

Thanks!
  • 7. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    The second page displays the table with the information from the query.
  • 8. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    this same functionality worked in jdev version 11.1.1.3 but I had to back track to version 11.1.1.1 due to the wls upgrade that is packaged, per our networking team
  • 9. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    i have three tables
    organizations - parent table
    containers - has foreign key to organization
    equipment - has foreign key to container

The only way I knew to seach on the container table by a certain field and return the containers for that particular organization was to write the two methods mentioned in my last post.

If anyone has a better idea, please feel free to share. Like I said before, these methods worked in the latest version but I don't have a choice but to use jdev 11.1.1.1

Thanks,
    Tracy
  • 10. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    759648 Newbie
    hi friend, ohh gigant problem !!
    this is EJB?
    joaquin
  • 11. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    Yes, ejb 3.0. The methods are in my session bean, as I am sure that you guessed already.

Any guess at what could be going on with it behind the scenes?
  • 12. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    I tried setting the Editing Mode to clickToEdit and a partial trigger to the command button. It still gives same error.

I also tried setting the Render to false. Thinking that it may have something with the page trying to load data for the table that had not yet been retrieved because the query had not been executed.

Any ideas. Please I'm desparate!
  • 13. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    Jan Vervecken Journeyer
    hi Tracy
    Any ideas. Please I'm desparate!
    You could create a service request on http://support.oracle.com .

regards
    Jan
  • 14. Re: IllegalArgumentException:An instance of a null PK has been incorrectly prov
    761290 Newbie
    Thanks so much for the link. Have a blessed afternoon!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points