10 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2010 4:06 PM by Michael Armstrong-Smith RSS

Discoverer user profiles not persistent

Hi,

Just today, all our business users are complaining that their user settings in Discoverer has been altered. But yesterday it was fine.

We haven't done anything on the apps server or on the file, /u01/app/oracle/oh_portal/discoverer/.reg_key.dc

Can you pls help diagnose the problem? What log files do we have to look at? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
          jlmorris
          Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but wondering if you found the solution to your problem?

I just encountered this same thing as something has happened over the weekend and all our users lost their options in Discoverer Plus 10g (both where they had set their "View" options in the menu to not show available items pane and stuff under the tools -> options menu). Not only that, but when the users reset these options, it is lost when they log back in.

I have an SR open with Oracle but they are saying, for now, they won't help until we get to the latest patches (which we are trying to do but have another SR open due to issues with that).

Thank you.
          • 2. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
            Michael Armstrong-Smith
            Hi
            I can help and know almost certainly what it is. Your reg_key.dc has become unreadable.

When the reg_key.dc file cannot be located or cannot be read Discoverer will revert to an in-built set of defaults for all users.

I have seen this happen when a user has a name that contains a non-English character such as one would find in German, French and many other languages. If your system was working until recently that the offending entry or entries will be towards the bottom of the file.

Here's what to do:

1. Take a backup of your reg_key.dc
            2. Make sure no one is in the system
            3. Edit the original reg_key.dc using an editor such as Wordpad in Windows or vi in Unix or Linux
            4. Navigate to the end of the file and look at the recent entries
            5. If you see any characters that don't look English you need to delete the whole entry
            6. Save the reg_key.dc and try logging in - your user defaults should be back

Let me know how you get on
            Best wishes
            Michael
            • 3. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
              jlmorris
              Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out for one day due to personal reasons.

Our DBA sent me the file after reviewing it and saying he didn't find anything unusual in the file as far as any odd/non-standard characters. I also reviewed the file he sent me and it seems to be fine.

Oracle responded telling me to set the MRUEnabled = 1 to fix the recently used workbooks list, but they misunderstood what the issue is and I clarified that it was all the user options that were not being retained.

Oracle is reviewing again but in the meantime asked that we compare the pref.txt file and the reg_key.dc files between our test and production servers, because test is correctly retaining the user option settings.

Thanks again for your response, if you have any other suggestons, I'm all ears.

Regards,
              Jerry
              • 4. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
                Michael Armstrong-Smith
                Hi Jerry
                Try doing the following:

1. Take a back up of the file

2. Edit the reg_key.dc and delete the last 5 or 6 records

3. Save the file

4. Restart the server and see what happens - you can always reinstate if this doesn't fix it

Should this cure the problem then one of two things happened:

1. There was an invalid entry, or

2. The file has hit the maximum size that can be held in memory - I have not seen anything official on this subject but I am having suspicions in this area. If I may ask, how big is your file in bytes?

Best wishes
                Michael
                • 5. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
                  jlmorris
                  Hi Michael,

There is something that I have also responded to Oracle in the SR with. I noticed in our reg_key.dc file there are some entries near the bottom that have a period (.) in the instance name... so like instead of having "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\WebDisco 10\User Preferences\IPROD\<username>]" as most of the lines do (the <username> is the actual user name of course), it has a period after the IPROD, like "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\WebDisco 10\User Preferences\IPROD.\<username>]".

Not sure if this would mess it up or not. It isn't the last entry, but it is within the last several hundred lines. It is the only set of entries (for one specific user) where the instance has the period after it.

The file size is 551KB as sent to me as an attachment via email, there are about 15900 lines in the file as viewed in Wordpad.

Now at the very bottom of the file are these entries:
                  [HKEY_USERS]
                  date=D1:9:"00:00:00"
                  time=D1:9:"00:00:00"

[HKEY_USERS\Current]

[HKEY_USERS\Current\Software]

[HKEY_USERS\Current\Software\Oracle]

[HKEY_USERS\Current\Software\Oracle\Discoverer 10]

[HKEY_USERS\Current\Software\Oracle\Discoverer 10\Database]
                  "AEUL_EUL_US_IPROD"=D1:7:"EUL_US"
                  "AEUL_SYSADMIN_IPROD"=D1:7:"EUL_US"
                  "AEUL_SYSTEM_IPROD"=D1:7:"EUL_US"
                  "DefaultPreserveDisplayPropertyForRefresh"=D4:4:00,00,00,01
                  "EnableTriggers"=D4:4:00,00,00,01
                  "QPPUseCpuTime"=D4:4:00,00,00,01
                  "SetNULLItemHeadingOnBulkLoad"=D4:4:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_USERS\Current\Software\Oracle\Discoverer 10\Administrator]

Is it safe to remove those from the file? Because I am thinking that while I am waiting on Oracle, I can ask the DBA if (after backing up the file of course) he can delete everything starting with the first line the IPROD. appears to the end of the file and resave the file. Not sure if deleting those last lines I posted above will make any difference, they just look different than all the other user preference lines that are currently in the reg_key.dc file.

Thank you for your continued patience and help in this Michael!

Regards,
                  Jerry
                  • 6. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
                    Michael Armstrong-Smith
                    Hi Jerry
                    If you're careful it is possible to manually edit this file. Best thing is to have a backup - just in case. Having found some entries to remove you need to make sure you remove all of them and make sure that there is a carriage return between any preceding and following entries.

Because this may well work, what concerns me is that Oracle has so far not commented as to whether it is invalid entries causing the problem or whether removing entries simply reduces the size of the file and therefore it can fit into memory.

Because the file is so big I would guarantee that you have entries in there for users who no longer work for you. These could be removed too.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes
                    Michael
                    • 7. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
                      jlmorris
                      Hi Michael,

Once again thank you for your continued help.

Oracle decided we should rename the current .reg_key.dc file to create the back up, then the Discoverer sessions were killed, did apply preferences and then restarted everything.

So the reg_key.dc file is now a fresh one (the file size is much less, like 6.2KB), but it is still not retaining the user option settings. I go in and change some of the settings through the options available in Discoverer Plus. Log out and then back in and none of it is retained.

Another interesting things was that we were testing the "switch" to turn off the "NOREWRITE" hint that was coming from Discoverer Plus in test and it was working okay. The DBAs then put that into the pref.txt in the production server and it is not behaving correctly. It is still sending that "NOREWRITE" hint as part of the query from Discoverer Plus.

I don't get it.

Oracle is now saying because we are not on the latest patch and overlay patch, they can't go to development with this. I'm pushing that issue now.

Thanks,
                      Jerry
                      • 8. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
                        Michael Armstrong-Smith
                        Hi Jerry
                        Thanks for the update. The tricks that I gave you earlier have always worked so something is amiss. Just out of curiosity, what is your current patch and version of Discoverer?

Unfortunately, Oracle Support frequently always use the line "you're not on the latest patch and we can't help you until you do". I know this is really frustrating for a company that is using one of their products in a production environement where patches cannot be applied at the drop of a hat.

I am an out and out fan of Oracle but sometimes I think that line is used a little too often or too soon. If there is anyone reading this from Oracle do you have any advice or can you help?

When you run the applypreferences script do you see any errors? If not, can you open the reg_key.dc and make sure the entries you need are there? You should see the NOREWRITE hint. If the entry you see is in the file this is a good start as it means the applypreferences is working. This would not be the case if there were any bad values. Assuming all is OK in the file then what we are looking at is the file either not being read during the startup or the load thinks something is wrong within it.

If for any reason the file cannot be read then Discoverer will go with a set of default settings.

Best wishes
                        Michael
                        • 9. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
                          jlmorris
                          Hi Michael,

Thanks again for your reply and sorry for my delayed response. So much going on.

What we ended up doing last week was renaming the existing reg_key.dc file, killing existing Disco sessions, apply preferences and then restarted opmn, this created a new reg_key.dc file, but for some reason it still didn't fix the issue.

Then this week it started working and we can see that the reg_key.dc file is growing and there are user options being populated in it now. During the weekend maintenance window, everything gets restarted, so we think that is what happened to finally pick up the new reg_key.dc file.

Backtracking a bit, another analyst at Oracle was looking at the problem because the guy I was working with was out, and she did come back with the possibility we were running into bug 6258614 - CORRUPTION/TRUNCATED REG_KEY.DC FILE. DIS51PR USING LARGE AMOUNT MEMORY which talks about a memory leak issue. She said the resolution was to patch with 10.1.2.2 patchset and CP6.

We are still on an old version of Discoverer, 10.1.2.48.18, but are currently testing the 10.1.2.3 patchset with CP6. We want to go 11g but they tell me it is not certified with EBS yet.

Thanks for your time Michael. I really do appreciate it.

For now, the problem is resolved with the new reg_key.dc in place.

Regards,
                          Jerry
                          • 10. Re: Discoverer user profiles not persistent
                            Michael Armstrong-Smith
                            Hi Jerry
                            Thanks for the feedback.

I did comment earlier that I had a suspicion that there was a memory issue with the reg_key and it seems you confirmed it. I'll take a look at that note and make a note of the contents (pardon the pun).

If any of my answers along the way were helpful or provided the right answer could I possibly ask you to go back and flag them with either helpful or answered? This helps others knows where the answer lies and helps me know which one(s) were helpful.

Best wishes
                            Michael

Edited by: michael@learndiscoverer.com on May 27, 2010 4:05 PM