7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2010 1:27 PM by 795267 RSS

Error installing Informatica

I downloaded Informatica 8.1.1 for Windows 2003 (64bit) server. My configuration is that PowerCenter will run on the Windows 2003 server using a database on a linux server (64bit SuSE, Oracle 11.1). I can connect to the database from the Windows 2003 server.

When I try to install it, I get to the PowerCenter Services Configuration window. I type in my Oracle connection information, and accept the default code page. When I press the "Test Connection" button, I get the following error:

Database driver event...Error occurred loading library {pmora8.dll]
      System error encountered is 193. Error text is %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I have looked all over the place for an answer, but nothing concrete shows up. There was mention somewhere about the codepage. My codepage on the Oracle database server is AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252. I don't see this as an option on the code page drop down.

Is the code page the problem, and if so, what do I do. If not, are there other suggestions?

Thanks!
      Larry
        • 1. Re: Error installing Informatica
          Hi Larry,

Looking at this error it seems as it is sometimes related to the permissions assigned to the database user account you are using to create the repository tables. Could you elaborate on the privileges that have been granted to this account? Also what is the connection string you are using to connect to your database?

-Ignacio de la Torre
          http://www.shangyezhineng.com/blog
          • 2. Re: Error installing Informatica
            I gave the user connect, resource, and dba authorities as it's the only thing I'm putting in the database. I didn't grant any other specific permissions

From the Windows 2003 server, I can connect to the database using sqlplus with the login infa_powercenter/infa_powercenter@TDEDEMO.

Here is the tnsnames.ora entry

TDEDEMO =
            (DESCRIPTION =
            (ADDRESS_LIST =
            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = tdess1)(PORT = 1521))
            )
            (CONNECT_DATA =
            (SERVICE_NAME = TDEDEMO)
            )
            )

The connect string is the same as the connect string that I'm using in the Informatica install.

Thanks for the help!
            • 3. Re: Error installing Informatica
              Hi Larry,

I was getting another error due to the format that the service configuration for my repository database had on the tnsnames.ora file, check the format on the blog post below and let me know if that resolves your issue:

http://www.shangyezhineng.com/blog/438/tech-content/the-database-connection-detail-for-service

Regards,
              -Ignacio de la Torre
              http://www.shangyezhineng.com/blog
              • 4. Re: Error installing Informatica
                It's interesting as when I tried the new format, I get the following running a tnsping and I can't connect to sqlplus either. Here's the tnsping error I'm getting. I'm playing around with the tnsnames.ora file to see what might be missing or needed.

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
                Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION =
                TNS-12533: TNS:illegal ADDRESS parameters
                • 5. Re: Error installing Informatica
                  I ended up trying to put the tnsnames.ora entry all on one line, and tnsping worked. However, still the same error installing Informatica. Could Informatica be "caching" the tnsnames.ora file, and I need to re-start the install?
                  • 6. Re: Error installing Informatica
                    rmoff
                    illegal ADDRESS parameters
                    This just means you misconfigured your tnsnames.ora - proven by the fact tnsping & sqlplus stopped working.
                    I ended up trying to put the tnsnames.ora entry all on one line, and tnsping worked. However, still the same error installing Informatica. Could Informatica be "caching" the tnsnames.ora file, and I need to re-start the install?
                    It's unlikely that Informatica is caching tnsnames.ora, as it will make the call to the oracle client which in turn uses tnsnames.ora.

The error you're getting, "Database driver event...Error occurred loading library [pmora8.dll]", looks like a problem with your client installation and/or environment variables. If it were a problem on the database (eg username/pw) then you'd expect to get an ORA- error code and message, which you're not getting.

Have you googled for your error? this looks like a match:
                    http://technet.informatica.com/forum/troubleshooting/topic/unable-start-repository-database-connecti

Also try this: http://technet.informatica.com/search/node/Database+driver+event...Error+occurred+loading+library+%5Bpmora8.dll%5D
                    • 7. Re: Error installing Informatica
                      My configuration follows:

Oracle Database 11g R1.
                      Informatica 8.6
                      Both running on Windows 2003 server.

Once you finish the Informatica installation process.

Go to your Services and look for the Informatica Orchestration Service, this service is trying to use the 8003 port, which at the same time is assigned to be the Shutdown port.

Once this service is located go to the properties and change the Startup Type to Manual, then stop the service.

Reboot your server.

Then go to Start/All Programs/Informatica PowerCenter/Services/PowerCenter Administration Console.

You should be able to open the Admin Console and create your Repositories and Interfaces.

Carlos C.