11 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2011 2:31 PM by PktAces

JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)

Hi All,

We have a scenario where we need to read the enterprise data (JDE E1 (9.0)) from other java application.
      We thought of reading JDE E1 data from Java Application using Using Java Database Connectivity Driver (e1jdbc.jar) as described in Interoperability guide.

However, We are about to discard this idea because one of the JDE E1 installation engineer suggested we could face serious of performance issue with TYPE 3 driver suggested in Connectivity guide.

I would like to know if anyone in this forum experienced serious performance issues with Type 3 JDE JDBC driver.

As a experienced Java programmer, I'm sure Type-3 drivers gives great flexibility and not bad from performance perspective as well. However I'm not much experienced with JDE E1 so forum suggestions/inputs are very much appreciated.

NOTE :: Both applications are (JDE and Java Applcaiton) still under development stage ( 5 more months to go on Production ).

Best Regards
      Muni
        • 1. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
          DaveHarrison
          Have you considered the Type 4 driver, e1dadriver.jar, that was introduced in Tools Release 8.98.1? This driver accesses the database directly, and might therefore offer better performance than the Type 3 driver that accesses the data via a middleware Data Access Server.

See https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&id=814163.1&type=NOT for more information.

Dave
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
            Hi Dave,

Thank you for the inputs.I am not aware of e1dadriver.jar_ as Type-4 driver is not mentioned in Interoperability guide (8.98). Will check with Type-4 driver soon.

Best Regards
            • 3. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
              Hi Dave,

I couldn't find the driver in DEMO version and also the link you had posted is not working. Can you please correct the link

Muni
              • 4. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
                DaveHarrison
                Hi Muni

The link above is working fine for me...please try again. Alternatively, search for document 814163.1 on Oracle Support.

Also, you can download the driver from the Oracle eDelivery site. The file that you need is:

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.98.3 Data Access Driver     V20876-01

It's in the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 8.98 Update 3 Media Pack for Microsoft Windows (32-bit). It's delivered as a par file which needs to be installed via Server Manager. You might be able to install it on DEMO by extracting the par file and the DADriver_EAR.jar that's contained within it, but I can't guarantee it.

Dave
                • 5. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
                  Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the detailed information. It was really helpful. I downloaded the driver. Will install and check it little later.

But I am still wondering Is Type-3 driver is that bad. Type-4 driver is released very recently so what was the process just to data from other applications (Interoperability) apart UBE's.

I got one more shocking news from JDE team here. We are developing a application which we want to integrate with JDE for some functions. We thought of doing integration through JDE business services (Java) or web services for which we need JDE Business Services server and Transaction server

JDE team says, they have no experience in installing business service server and Transaction server and no vendor has done Business Service server integration this country (Japan).

This is putting me back to Z-tables and UBE integration, like call the batch from third party application to move data from interface tables to JDE tables.

I don't think Installation and Integration of Business Service server is too complicated but not sure why vendor is not willing to try though we have required license

Muni

Edited by: Muni on Jun 16, 2010 1:07 AM
                  • 6. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
                    DaveHarrison
                    Hi Muni

Z-tables and EDI tables still have their place, and are best suited to when you're processing a lot of data and/or the integration can be done asynchronously. They also have the advantage of being easier to support and maintain since it's well-known and 'tried and tested' technology.

Business Services are possibly more ideally suited to synchronous applications, where the calling system needs to be able to take action based on the response from the other system, and for transactional-based integrations. There is a learning curve, which shouldn't be under-estimated, but I think that it's worth the investment in time if your integrations need to be done in this way.

Don't forget, also, that there are a lot of pre-built Business Services that Oracle has created that you may be able to take advantage of, or use as a model for your own services, if you decide to go this way.

Unless you're also using Real-time Events in E1, you should only need the Business Services Server, and not the Transaction Server as well. However, from a developer's point of view, you can create and test Business Services initially without the Business Services Server, using JDeveloper and/or the local Development Business Service Server.

Dave
                    • 7. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
                      Hi Dave,

I agree with all your points.

There are many advantages of Interface tables (Z-tables) and we are using them as well for exporting and importing data. For example, Exporting data in CSV files to Warehouse management system for Picking, Shipping operations.

We thought of using Business services for transactional-based operations. For Example, External system receives the EDI formatted sales order and has to do many business rule validations and few processes before updating sales order to JDE. While executing business rules, there are fee transactional based updated we need to perform with JDE, like moving inventory between Zone A and Zone B. This is where we wanted Business Services but it was refused and left with the option like calling UBEs from Java through shell script.

As you said there any many pre-built Business Services and mostly these services should solve our integration problem

We wanted Transaction server as well because for real time event integration like once the sales order has been completed, External system has to know immediately to inform other business partners.

The thing is, we are not trying to integrate applications with already existing JDE servers. JDE is going to be fresh installation and this is going to happen after 4 months time from now.

We had a meeting with Vendor yesterday, The reason for not installing is No sufficient hard ware and no vendor has done this here which is risk.

With you for a nice weekend.
                      • 8. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
                        This is a good article on: How to Use E1 Read Only JDBC Drivers in a Custom Application (https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=763061.1).

My issue is that I'd like to know how to do something very similar but using the Data Access Driver (uses a type 4 JDBC driver) instead of the Data Access Server (uses a type 3 JDBC driver).

What's confusing, is that the connect URL for the type 4 JDBC Driver (DAD) is specified as follows: jdbc:oracle:enterpriseone://<environment> This works fine if you're connecting via BI Pub. Enterprise because it has a jdbj.ini and jas.ini to refer to for connection details. However, if you'd like connect using the DAD driver from a completely external machine, how would you go about it. Where does the machine figure out what machine and port to connect to, as only E1 environment is mentioned in the connection URL. Any suggestions?

Phil.
                        • 9. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
                          DaveHarrison
                          Hi Phil

I think what you're trying to do is connect to the Data Access Driver remotely. I don't think that you can do this. The Data Access Driver needs to be installed on the client. The jas.ini and jdbc.ini within the DAD install directory on the client machine then hold the connection details to the E1 installation.

Regards,
                          Dave
                          • 10. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
                            user10487461
                            Phil, did you ever get a generic type4 connection to succeed?
                            • 11. Re: JDE Type-3 JDBC driver performace issues (Interoperability)
                              PktAces
                              I am curious as well if this has been successful. We have many users that we presume are not going to be able to use MS Access queries that they have used for years after upgrading to EO9 due to the ODA not being available for non FAT client users. I'm wondering if this DAD would be an option to use with MS Access and be aware of the implied decimals and tables/view names, etc.