This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 5:26 AM by 746636 RSS

OCDM - How to start with implementation

768411 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have installled OCDM and required Oracle components on Linux Redhat5 box. As I am running out of time, could someone guide me on the exact steps/tools that i need to start using to implement my BI solution?
E.g. Do I need to design my warehouse first? Am I suppose to use template base tables or design my own tables? How I go about designing ETLs?

Regards,
Bhavesh
  • 1. Re: OCDM - How to start with implementation
    746636 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    The next (easy) step is to install OBIEE, and link it to the OCDM DB.
    I assume you have installed OWB, Mining and OLAP.

Before designing anything, please look at whatever is already available!
    All derived and aggregated tables, as well as the OLAP cubes and mining models, are autromatically filled with the intra-ETLs provided.
    The point is not to spend time on whatever is already there but on what could be adapted or extended.

So my suggested steps are as follow:

1/ Define which of the 8 business areas you want to concentrate on, on within them, the business questions you want to solve/the measures you want to see
    2/ Look at the delivered KPIs (oob) available and check which tables are needed (using the default metadata report available in OBIEE) - you may need the full payable customer-only documentation for this.
    3/ Define which data sources you want to use (the fewer the better to start with - limit the scope) and the data you need out of them
    4/ Gap analysis: Check what you cannot do oob with OCDM and see whether you really need it => if yes, design and adapt OCDM...
    5/ Get the data (cleaned) to fill those OCDM tables (3NF layer) => Define the ETL from your data source to OCDM (with OWB since you have it or with whatever tool you prefer)
    6/ Configure the parameters of the intra-ETLs you use to make them work when you need (and possibly how you need, in case of adpatation)
    7/ Test the data transfer
    8/ Once in production, start the iteration again in your test environment with the next area/business domain

In any case, Oracle Consulting will be pleased to help you further. Please contact your nearest Oracle office.

Some tipps:
    - Do not develop before checking what is already there
    - Tables in foundation layer (base, reference and lookup) shall all be 3NF.
    - All codes should be defined in lookup tables.
    - Inspire yourself from the optimized ETLs - extend them rather than developing from scratch...

Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Axel.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points