4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2010 3:45 AM by 371892 RSS

Proting HTMLDB 1.6 application  to Apex 3.2 on a new machine

Hi,

I have an application that is running on htmldb 1.6 .
      We want to port this to apex 3.2 running on a new hardware.

Which would be the best approach here?
      I have exported/imported workspace successfully.
      But what about the rest of the application?
      Note that we wish to leave htmldb 1.6 installation on the old machine.

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Proting HTMLDB 1.6 application  to Apex 3.2 on a new machine
          Prabodh
          But for the stalwarts, most folks came on board at 2.x or 3.x. And few would have done this giant upgrade.

Fortunately, you have a different hardware to play around with. If nothing else get a PC and install Oracle xE to try it out.

1. Export the application from 1.6 and import it into 3.2. If it does not work, just delete it and try approach 2

2. Install Oracle XE, it comes with 2.x. Import your 1.6 export into 2.x. Export from 2.x and import into 3.2

Regards,
          • 2. Re: Proting HTMLDB 1.6 application  to Apex 3.2 on a new machine
            Patrick Wolf-Oracle
            Hi,

there is no need to upgrade to 2.x and then to 3.2 or 4.0. You can directly take an 1.6 export and import it into the newest version of APEX.

What do you mean with
            But what about the rest of the application?
            Are you talking about your schema with the tables and packages? Just do an export of the schema and import it into your new database. Your DBA should know how to do that.

Regards
            Patrick
            • 3. Re: Proting HTMLDB 1.6 application  to Apex 3.2 on a new machine
              Hi there,

What I want to say is that the workspace was imported successfully (using the Workspace import functionality of 3.2). But I do not see any option to import the application on APEX 3.2 (1.6 gives me an option to export application from an existing workspace).

Is exporting and importing the schema supported between 1.6 and 3.x versions?

If so I will try to do so.

Regards
              Tasos
              • 4. Re: Proting HTMLDB 1.6 application  to Apex 3.2 on a new machine
                Here is the solution.

I have managed to migrate the application from HTMLDB 1.6.1 to any higher version (e.g. Apex 3.2 or Apex 4.0) just by running the installation of the respective version.
                The problem is that I had first installed htmldb 1.6.1 in the new machine that had Apex 3.2 preinstalled (I guess it came along with Oracle 11g R2 installation)
                Although I was allowed to install HTMLDB 1.6.1 on the new machine, the migration to APEX4.0 did not find my existing application that was deployed on HTMLDB 1.6.1 and thus it did not migrate it. I guess the migration checks only the latest version (Apex 3.2) that it is installed and ignores all applications deployed on previous versions (That's why my application was not migrated)
                After that I had to manually de-install both APEX 4.0 and APEX 3.2 completely and then re-install APEX 4.0. In this scenario the application is successfully migrated from HTMLDB 1.6.1 to Apex 4.0

Thanks for the help any way.

Tasos