This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2010 6:55 PM by CKPT RSS

Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7

777922 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

My friend has installed Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7. 64bit Intel processor, 4GB RAM with a Normal User with Admin privilages(O.S level). When we used DBCA to create a database. It create a folder in the Oradata directory with the SID name and then put a lock to the folder. We now neither cannot create a new database nor use SQL*Plus to open it or connect to it.

SID name is orcl
I have configured listener to it also tnsnames too. Checked both of them using lsnrctl and tnsping. Everything works fine. Except we cannot create, connect and delete a database. All the folders in Oracle Base are under Lock.

Here are the jpeg links for better under standing
Image I

Image II

Image III

Image IV

Also I have created an Administrator account using "Net User Administrator /active:yes", and then logged in using that account and tried to create or connect to database but I couldnt.

I went and did right click on the directory..changed the security settings on the folder gave permission to all users. But still cannot do anything.

I always get the famous ORA-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error.

Is there any way to solve this issue. Thanks.

Edited by: vickyfin on Jul 22, 2010 12:22 PM

Edited by: vickyfin on Jul 22, 2010 12:24 PM
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    sb92075 Guru
    when all else fails Read The Fine Manual

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b15681/toc.htm

This is Windows 7 Professional version, right?
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    777922 Newbie
    No this is Windows 7 Home Premium.
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    SomeoneElse Guru
    No this is Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Oopsie.

Oracle doesn't certify anything on the "Home" versions of Windows.

I don't know what the "word on the street" is about installing 11g on it. Might work, might not.
  • 4. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    777922 Newbie
    I installed it though and created a database too.
  • 5. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    sb92075 Guru
    I installed it though and created a database too.
    Enjoy the DB!
  • 6. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    777922 Newbie
    Can any one resolve this issue?? Please
  • 7. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    You have installed software on an unsupported and uncertified platform - so things may or may not work as expected. Google is most likely your best friend here

Srini
  • 8. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    sb92075 Guru
    Can any one resolve this issue??
    There are two general categories of errors.
    One is error of omission; not doing something that needs to be done.
    The other is error of commission; doing something wrong.

Since we don't know what you have done or if you have done everything that needs to be done; I can not begin to speculate what changes might be needed.
  • 9. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    If you can't change your main o/s , the other option can be that you install some visualization software like VMware's VM on this machine. Over that, install some supported o/s , preferably OEL and install oracle over it. For the current o/s of yours, there is nothing much that can be said as its not supported by oracle so the errors can be vague and less informative for being troubleshooted.

HTH
    Aman....
  • 10. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    530897 Explorer
    When Oracle was installed it should have created a group called ora_dba. Make sure the OS users you are using are also members of that group and see if you still have problems.
  • 11. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    CharlesHooper Expert
    Eric Jenkinson wrote:
    When Oracle was installed it should have created a group called ora_dba. Make sure the OS users you are using are also members of that group and see if you still have problems.
    I think that Eric identified the source of the problem. The home editions of Windows do not support the concept of security groups, and do not support the concept of "logon as batch", among other issues.

The least expensive solution is probably the Windows Anytime Upgrade program. With it, it is possible to perform an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Home (or Windows 7 Starter) to Windows 7 Professional (or Windows 7 Ultimate) in roughly 20 minutes:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

Charles Hooper
    Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration from the Oak Table"
    http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
    IT Manager/Oracle DBA
    K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
  • 12. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    680087 Pro
    Charles Hooper wrote:
    The home editions of Windows do not support the concept of security groups, and do not support the concept of "logon as batch", among other issues.
    I don't know whether it's true or not, but I've used Oracle 10g/11g on Windows XP Home Edition without any issue.
  • 13. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    CharlesHooper Expert
    Timur Akhmadeev wrote:
    Charles Hooper wrote:
    The home editions of Windows do not support the concept of security groups, and do not support the concept of "logon as batch", among other issues.
    I don't know whether it's true or not, but I've used Oracle 10g/11g on Windows XP Home Edition without any issue.
    When I tested it a while ago (maybe a year or two in the past) certain features did not work. Because there are certain Oracle Database features that require the ORA_DBA security group and the Local Security Policy control panel, neither of which exist in Windows XP Home. If you are able to get Oracle Database installed and a database created (I was able to do both), you might encounter the limitations or you might not depending on which features you use. This is what I recall from the testing:
    * "CONNECT / AS SYSDBA" will not work - the logged in user must be in the ORA_DBA group which does not exist
    * Datapump import/export does not work.
    * Cannot schedule jobs using Enterprise Manager Database Control - the OS user specfiied must have the LOGON AS BATCH permission which is assigned in the Local Security Policy control panel (I experimented with borrowing this control panel item from XP Pro but it refused to run on XP Home).
    * RMAN from the command line works to backup and restore databases, but of course it is not possible to schedule the RMAN backups using Enterprise Manager Database Control.
    * File level permissions cannot be adjusted without removing the hard drive and installing it as a secondary drive in a Windows XP Pro (or higher) computer, at which point the user logged into the Windows XP Pro computer will need to take ownership of the files before modifying file permissions.

I suspect that there might be problems with UTL_FILE, BFILE datatypes, and some of the other features.

I did not perform much testing. When one considers the time involvement, the Windows Anytime upgrade that I mentioned earlier is the least expensive solution.

Charles Hooper
    Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration from the Oak Table"
    http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
    IT Manager/Oracle DBA
    K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
  • 14. Re: Oracle 11gR2 problem with Window 7
    CKPT Guru
    Here i have one question.

Have you created service for ORCL could you please check in start -> run -> services.msc ->
    If not create using oradim utility

To create an instance called ORCL, for example, you could enter:
         C:\> oradim -NEW -SID orcl -INTPWD mypassword1 -STARTMODE auto -PFILE C:\oracle\admin\orcl\pfile\init.ora
    To start an instance called orcl, for example, you could enter:
         C:\> oradim -STARTUP -SID orcl -STARTTYPE inst -PFILE C:\oracle\admin\orcl\pfile\init.ora

Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points