2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 9:38 AM by Rjfoster-Oracle RSS

Statistics questions

Rjfoster-Oracle
      Hi, please excuse my ignorance, I have no experience with Discoverer, and my current client is using it and has thrown some questions/issues at me.
      I also may add, I do not have access to my clients environment, not can I find an internal environment at Oracle to access.

Version: 10.1.2.54.25

They are reviewing data in table EUL5_QPP_STATS to identify problem workbooks/queries, etc.

However, they data they see is inconsistent, so they are questioning it's entire validity.

So, permit me if I may to seek answers.

1. Is there a document anywhere on the full description/purpose of the columns in EUL5_QPP_STATS (sorry the Discoverer Manuals on this subject are not helpful)

2. What could cause QS_ACT_ELAP_TIME to have a value of 0 (zero), yet QP_ACT_CPU_TIME have a value > 0 ?

3. What could cause the degree of precision for the values in QS_ACT_ELAP_TIME. eg: they noticed that all docs owned by one user has decimal values, yet all other rows not owned by this user have whole numbers for the value of this column ? (maybe related to question 2)

4. What could cause QP_ACT_CPU_TIME to have a null value ?

5. What does QS_CREATED_DATE represent ? The time the report/workbook began, or the time the record was created in the table, and when would that be? Upon report termination?

6. It is my understanding that you (Discoverer Admin) can set a role/responsibility so that it has Query Prediction and/or statistics enabled.
      I cannot find documentation on precisely where this is set. So, in an effort to expedite the verification of these setting, is there a table.column we could run a query on to validate if these have been set accordingly ?

Thank You.
        • 1. Re: Statistics questions
          Rod West
          Hi,

I'll try and answer some of your questions:
          1. Is there a document anywhere on the full description/purpose of the columns in EUL5_QPP_STATS (sorry the Discoverer Manuals on this subject are not helpful)
          No.
          2. What could cause QS_ACT_ELAP_TIME to have a value of 0 (zero), yet QP_ACT_CPU_TIME have a value > 0 ?
          Maybe the elapse time is only calculated when the report finishes and if it fails to finish successfully there is no elapse time.
          3. What could cause the degree of precision for the values in QS_ACT_ELAP_TIME. eg: they noticed that all docs owned by one user has decimal values, yet all other rows not owned by this user have whole numbers for the value of this column ? (maybe related to question 2)
          Sorry, no idea about this one.
          4. What could cause QP_ACT_CPU_TIME to have a null value ?
          Maybe the report was created but never run.
          5. What does QS_CREATED_DATE represent ? The time the report/workbook began, or the time the record was created in the table, and when would that be? Upon report termination?
          My understanding is that this is when the records are created, which is when the user successfully closes the connection.
          6. It is my understanding that you (Discoverer Admin) can set a role/responsibility so that it has Query Prediction and/or statistics enabled. I cannot find documentation on precisely where this is set. So, in an effort to expedite the verification of these setting, is there a table.column we could run a query on to validate if these have been set accordingly ?
          The Discoverer preferences in the apps server prefs.txt (or in the registry if you are using desktop) control whether Discoverer collects stats and also whether these stats are used for query predition. On top of this you can also must set the stats collection privilege for a role/responsibility and this determines whether Discoverer store stats in the qpp stats table for that user/role/responsibility.

Rod West
          • 2. Re: Statistics questions
            Rjfoster-Oracle
            Thanx for the input Rod !!