10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2010 10:37 AM by 576633

Advanced SQL book? or anything?

I have been using basic SQL for more than a year now and I have gotten very comfortable with that. But, it seems like my progress has stopped meaning I am not learning anything new anymore. I want to keep going and going....
      If you know basic SQL and want to learn Advanced SQL, what is the best book for it?
      The book should include advanced topics and projects/examples for self-study?

Also, is there anything else you can do with SQL knowledge like creating an application? what is the best environment to do that?
      What is database in MS Visual Studio 2010? Is that something that I should be looking at?
        • 1. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
          I love the book.
          Advanced Oracle SQL Programming: The Expert Guide to Writing Complex Queries
          http://www.amazon.com/dp/0977671585
          • 2. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
            Tubby
            I'd recommend visiting http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:1:1482635074582322 for a 1/2 hour (or more) a day.

You'll learn a great deal from advanced query writing to how to create scalable applications and so much more.

I won't trivialize the importance of being good with SQL, but if you don't have any other fundamentals to draw on your application designs will likely be sub-optimal (no fancy query in the world will save you from a poorly designed application).
            • 3. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
              ©J7
              [Advanced SQL Functions in Oracle 10g|http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Functions-Wordware-Applications-Library/dp/1598220217]
              • 4. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
                There is also:
                Pro Oracle SQL (Amazon)
                to be released November 1, 2010.

As for your question
                is there anything else you can do with SQL knowledge like creating an application?
                then the answer is yes. You should look into PL/SQL, the language for creating procedures, functions etc
                which you wrap into packages. Applications typically interact with these packages..
                Look here, under "most popular" : http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/homepage
                and you'll find

-Concepts
                -Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals
                -PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference

that should keep you busy for a while.

Be aware that many books (you must pay for) only more or less mimic the free documentation!
                • 5. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
                  MichaelS
                  Advanced SQL book? or anything?
                  I can recommend Laurent Schneiders Advanced Oracle SQL Programming.
                  • 6. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?

I disagree. While I know his knowledge is tops and undisputed and all, the book suffers from poor layout and poor wording/ phrasing.
                    The language is sometimes a bit weird, and explanations very brief.
                    Several chapters are indeed very basic, and it starts off by printing 6 or 7 pages of insert statements, if I recall correctly. Not very interesting.
                    I own the book, but it's not on my workdesk.
                    There are a couple of good chapters (on xml, for example), but all in all I can't recommend it. It is simply not that readable, in my opinion.
                    I think it would have benefitted from a better editor/ publisher. Some of the figures are not very understandable.

The book's technical reviewer (Shapira) reviews it on Amazon as "Best SQL Reference for Oracle" , which is just downright silly imo.
                    Read the reviews on Amazon before you buy this book.
                    Here: http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Oracle-SQL-Programming-Focus/product-reviews/0977671585/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I agree, to a certain degree, with Joshua's short review. Laurent Schneiders comment to that review:

+"You probably should avoid buying advanced book and go back to playing Legos if you are a beginner,+
                    +but I put tremendeous efforts to give good code examples of everything I am explaining. "+

is in itself a good reason not to spend $38 on this book.

Sorry, but there are better books to buy.
                    • 7. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
                      Laurent Schneider
                      Thanks Michael & Super Star for your support :-) Nice to read
                      book suffers from poor layout
                      I have been myself disappointed by the final "layout" of my book, especially the diagram about MODEL and all the code for insert statements that have been included in the book. Sorry about this. I wish it did not happened.
                      and poor wording/ phrasing
                      I am not a native English speaker. Probably I should stick to write blogs, as a blog is less academic and grammar/spelling is less a problem.

I am glad some readers could still find interesting content. I spent a lot of time to provide good examples. I cannot disagree more on Examples are weak
                      And Joshua do not seem to have more fun with Lego than with Oracle http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NZ41EUR8QACO/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm lol
                      Sorry, but there are better books to buy
                      Sure thing, Kyte and Feuerstein to just name two.
                      • 8. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        Laurent,

Whether we can be surprise by the insert statemtents stored in the book instead of on a depot over Internet (to copy and paste to be able to reply easily), your book contains plenty of good and tricky examples. Despite I'm not developer for a couple of years, it makes me wanted to play again on SQL development on my own and try some challenges.
                        Anyway, some people are never happy... so maybe you should not be worry too much.

Cheers,

Nicolas.
                        • 9. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
                          Laurent Schneider
                          Thank you ! I am not worried too much, next time I will ask my grand mother to write a few 5-stars reviews on my book ;-)

Just joking of course...
                          • 10. Re: Advanced SQL book? or anything?
                            ..and next time try another publisher. Not joking.
                            Maybe also next time just assume the reader knows the basics.

How about teaming up with a couple of other aces or esteemed forum members
                            and write an Oracle book a'la Celko's SQL Puzzles and Answers? Advanced level, all the way.

If you write another book, I'll buy it and let you know what I think.
                            Promise :)

Cheers,A