5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 1:39 PM by 827092 RSS

Unusual refreshing problem with Report

BillUK
      Hi,

I have created a report which I'm positive was functioning and updating correctly previously, but has all of a sudden stopped refreshing itself correctly.

The report consists of the following View Objects based on Data Object A and Data Object B:

Data Object A_
      *1*. A 3D Bar chart - A Count on rows which is grouped by a 'status' column. It contains a filter to only output rows where the 'date' column is within Current Time Period DAY. (Active Now box is checked)
      *2*. A Line Graph - Outputs rows grouped by the 'date' column in a time series. It contains a filter to only output rows where the 'date' column is within Current Time Period DAY. (Active Now box is checked)
      *3*. A Collapsed List - A calculated field which outputs the Average value of a column in. It contains a filter to only output rows where the 'date' column is within Current Time Period DAY. (Active Now box is checked)
      *4*. A Collapsed List - (same as above, except doing average on a different column in data object

Data Object B_
      *5*. A 3D Pie Chart - Again, a Count on rows grouped by a 'status' column. It contains a filter to only output rows where the 'date' column is within Current Time Period DAY. (Active Now box is checked)
      *6*. A CollapSed List - A calculated field which shows a proportional percentage of 'statuses' for rows in the data object. It contains a filter to only output rows where the 'date' column is within Current Time Period DAY. (Active Now box is checked)

The problem I get is as follows and lies with View Objects based on Data Object A. When I insert a new row into Data Object A, all 4 related View Objects update OK and I get the correct average values for View Objects 3 and 4 (in real-time as expected). However, when I insert another row, the 2 graphs display the correct updated data but the collapsed lists do not give an updated average value. I wait, and then have to click 'Reprompt'. This then incorrectly amends the graph objects to no longer take into account the new row added, but correctly updates the collapsed lists to show correct average value. After a few more clicks of 'Reprompt', everything seems to go back to normal with all views updated.

I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I require all this data updating automatically and in 'real-time', and don't want to have to click 'Reprompt' every time. To me, it seems as though it's a refreshing issue and possibly to do with the cache, as I'm sure I've had this working on another environment OK (unable to confirm this at the moment). Or could it be to do with the metadata repository? I have tried re-starting BAM and Admin server but this hasn't resolved it.

Can you please help identify where the problem may lie?

EDIT: I then delete the rows in my data objects but the report still shows some or all of the data. Then eventually after a few 'Reprompts' it will clear and show 'No Values'. There seems to be a significant delay between what's happening in Architect and subsequently what's reported in 'Active Viewer' in the Report.

Thanks

PS: This is in version 11.1.1.2

Edited by: user10248308 on 25-May-2010 08:43
        • 1. Re: Unusual refreshing problem with Report
          BillUK
          UPDATE:

I have noticed in the BAM Server logs in FMW EM, that there are numerous errors. Are there supposed to be errors in this log? The errors I got include the following and these get repeated every time I click 'Reprompt' or insert data into my data object:

1) ReportCache: CacheEngine:stopActiveData exception=BAM-01282: This viewset not found: 0e62631a62d24d9d6260b6b6128cf6e6e55-6989

2) ActiveDataCache: Exception occurred in method stopActiveData(0e62631a62d24d9d6260b6b6128cf6e6e55-6989)
          Exception: oracle.bam.adc.common.exceptions.ViewsetNotFoundException: BAM-01282: This viewset not found: 0e62631a62d24d9d6260b6b6128cf6e6e55-
          at oracle.bam.adc.kernel.viewsets.ViewsetManager.getViewset(ViewsetManager.java:249)....................... (there are then many of these 'at' statements
          pointing to methods where the error is.)

3) ActiveDataCache: Exception occurred in method closeViewset(0e62631a62d24d9d6260b6b6128cf6e6e55-6990)

4) Common: ExpireTask.TimedOut:Invocation target exception

I have also noticed in EM that I have 132 Viewsets, and 38 Reports open even though no-one has a report/session open!! I don't know much about Viewsets but could this have something to do with it? i.e. numerous Viewsets or reports are open and not closing? If I have one session/connection to the report open I guess only 6 Viewsets approximately should be open and not this many?

Testing
          I am not testing this by actually feeding data through my composite into Data Objects via BAM Adapter etc. I am physically adding rows and editing the data in the Data Objects. Do you know whether this could also be the problem i.e. BAM not sufficiently supporting ability to update reports in real-time, where the data is physically being changed in Data Objects. Reason is, I tried this on another environment, which had no Open Viewsets/Reports etc, but as soon as I started changing the data in the Data Objects this way and clicking 'Reprompt' to make sure the data is correctly reflecting in the report, this started to increase the number of Viewsets and Reports open, and also outputted error messages in the log (I checked all these things in Bam_server1 in EM)
          • 2. Re: Unusual refreshing problem with Report
            Hi ,

I am facing the same issue. Were you able to find a solution to the problem? I see the same errors that you have mentioned in the bam-server-diagnostic.log file. Please let me know if you were able to resolve the issue.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Unusual refreshing problem with Report
              BillUK
              Hi,

Yes, I was able to resolve this. The solution was not to use Calculated Fields at the Data Object level (so I removed them). For some reason BAM didn't like me having Calculated Fields in Data Objects, which then had further Calculated Fields based on them which were created within View Objects at report level. So, I did what I needed to do in terms of Calculated Fields only at the report level within the View Objects. This worked for my particular scenario described above and if you try this, it should work for you also. So, if Calculated Fields are not necessarily required within your Data Object, create them in the View Objects in the report.

Regarding the error messages reported, it seems that this had nothing to do with the problem I was having. I'm guessing it is not good to have all these reports/sessions open anyway within your BAM server as it may harm performance somewhere down the line, but I would need to investigate this further some time. As far as I know, those errors were appearing because when the report was still in it's incorrect state and not refreshing properly, every time I was clicking 'reprompt' it would create a new session for the report. The open sessions/reports etc would then increase, the more I clicked on 'reprompt'.

Hope this helps
              • 4. Re: Unusual refreshing problem with Report
                Sorry to hear that. It's a serious bug.
                • 5. Re: Unusual refreshing problem with Report
                  Another related bug wich I have experienced is refresh troubles when my report has filters. At least, this was Oracle's answer to my SR.

I'm very dissapointed with Oracle, and with the BAM specially.

Luciano