This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 2:21 AM by 1003290 RSS

ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin

794962 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I received the above error when try to start Enterprise Manager, the reason I even looked at the databases is because they stopped sending me backup job messages.

I read in a post on this site to use SQLPlus and try to sign in as sysman. I did and it said the password expired I then closed that and tried again. Still same mesage. I tried to sign on again in SQLPlus as sysman and this time it said password locked.

I have two instances with this problem instance A above and this instance B which is in the state that follows. The 2nd instance (B) is is signed into SQLPlus as sysman after asking what the new password is I stayed logged in. To check to see if the sysman userid is indeed locked, I started another command shell and tried to log on and the error about locked account comes up. I need to unlock the user using SQLPlus before I sign out or close the command window. How do I do that in instance B? What do I do for instance A.

In case it doesn't show, I know little about Oracle Databases I took a beginner class on Oracle online.

The installation is 11.1.0.6.0

Thank you for your help,
Rick

Edited by: user10401961 on Aug 31, 2010 9:27 AM
  • 1. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    sb92075 Guru
    sqlplus
    / as sysdba
    ALTER USER SYSMAN IDENTIFIED BY NEW_PASSWORD ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
    exit
  • 2. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    729036 Explorer
    h i
    login as sys
    try alter user sysman account unlock ;
    alter user sysman identified by newpassword;

u can.t change the sysman password just on fly its proper procedure for that

http://thetendjee.wordpress.com/2006/07/19/changing-sysman-and-dbsnmp-passwords-it-aint-that-easy/
    hope it helps

Edited by: shaiffy on Aug 31, 2010 9:25 AM
  • 3. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    Chinar Guru
    You have to need change sysman password and account unlock using alter user sysman account unlock But changing password you have to refer
    *How To Change the Password of the Database User Sysman (DB Control Repository Schema) [ID 259379.1]*
    *How to Change the Password of SYSMAN User in Grid Control? [ID 270516.1]*
  • 4. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    618702 Expert
    user10401961,

An account can be locked and a password can be expired. That is happening according to the Oracle Profiles.

also please note that the SYS user is different and even if you have locked the SYS user and expire the password, you still can do whatever you want to do with the SYS user.

Your problem is simple and you may unlock the account;
    SQL> ALTER USER SYSMAN IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
    You need to use the identified by clause in order to get rid of the expired password problem. Account unlock clause will unlock the user account.

You need to talk to your database administrator to check the Oracle Profiles. I bet since the password gets expired, someone should enabled the resource_limit and set the value of it to TRUE. If you are the database administrator then read more about the Oracle security and the Oracle profiles.

Hope That Helps.

Ogan
  • 5. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    794962 Newbie
    I did this and the reply came back User altered. However when I open a new instance of SQLPlus and try to log on as sysman, the error account is locked is still returned. I do have the SQLPlus still open and logged on as sysman, kinda afraid to log it off as I already have that problem with Instance A. Do I have to exit to get the changes to happen, is there a way to commit them so I could make sure it works before I log out of SQLPlus. Thanks, Rick
  • 6. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    Chinar Guru
    Ogan

Your problem is simple and you may unlock the account;

SQL> ALTER USER SYSMAN IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

No thats wrong.you can not change sysman password just alter user sysman ..... this is not enough.
    Otherwise you can not connect EM.See above metalink note,which explain how to change sysmans password.
  • 7. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    794962 Newbie
    Okay how do I change the password back that I changed. I am still logged into SQLPlus on one instance. thanks, Rick
  • 8. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    Chinar Guru
    user10401961 wrote:
    Okay how do I change the password back that I changed. I am still logged into SQLPlus on one instance. thanks, Rick
    Refer above support note and reset sysman password again.
  • 9. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    794962 Newbie
    Okay I figured out how to change the password in SQLPlus, even how to get a special character or I think I did it right.

ALTER USER SYSMAN IDENTIFIED BY "xxxx!!!" ACCOUNT UNLOCKED:

This will allow another instance of SQLPlus to log on. I then tried OEM, it came up once with the password screen I signed on, it started to come up then failed and returned to the screen that said the "Agent Connection To Instance" had Status Failed with the details of the title of this thread.

A this point if I go back into SQLPlus again it will say the account is locked. I will unlock it with the instance I have open and again you can log into SQLPlus with sysman. I tried the OEM again and no longer will it show the password screen again.

What is locking the password?
  • 10. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    EdStevens Guru
    user10401961 wrote:
    Okay I figured out how to change the password in SQLPlus, even how to get a special character or I think I did it right.

ALTER USER SYSMAN IDENTIFIED BY "xxxx!!!" ACCOUNT UNLOCKED:

This will allow another instance of SQLPlus to log on. I then tried OEM, it came up once with the password screen I signed on, it started to come up then failed and returned to the screen that said the "Agent Connection To Instance" had Status Failed with the details of the title of this thread.

A this point if I go back into SQLPlus again it will say the account is locked. I will unlock it with the instance I have open and again you can log into SQLPlus with sysman. I tried the OEM again and no longer will it show the password screen again.

What is locking the password?
    The oem agent is locking it because it doesn't know the new password. Chinar has tried three times to point you to the additional documentation needed for changing the password of SYSMAN. Not only do you have to change the password with the SQL command, but you have to put the new password into an oem configuration file so the agent will know what it is. Until you read and follow those docs, you will continue to lock the account.
  • 11. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    794962 Newbie
    Thanks, I see, I am searching Oracle.com for How To Change the Password of the Database User Sysman (DB Control Repository Schema) [ID 259379.1] is there a different place for this document? Is Metalink the same as Oracle.com or within the same. Thanks, Rick
  • 12. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    EdStevens Guru
    user10401961 wrote:
    Thanks, I see, I am searching Oracle.com for How To Change the Password of the Database User Sysman (DB Control Repository Schema) [ID 259379.1] is there a different place for this document? Is Metalink the same as Oracle.com or within the same. Thanks, Rick
    Metalink (now known as My Oracle Support) is not the same as Oracle.com, and MetaLink content is not available from other sources.

If you don't have MetaLink access, just look at the link Shaiffy pointed to.

Edited by: EdStevens on Aug 31, 2010 12:57 PM
  • 13. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    794962 Newbie
    Thanks Ed, I do have a Metalink account I dug it up and decided to open a case as I tried what was in that link but could not get the console to stop, I could not figure out what the ORACLE_SID was suppose to be, in way over my head and good news I did find a password that let me in with sys privilidges for the other instance that I was locked out of, so at this pint I feel a bit better (hmmm a lot better as it was a production instance).

Thanks for your help, I did mark Chinar's answer as correct, I am just qualified to execute it.

Rick
  • 14. Re: ORA-28001 the password has expired (DBD Error:OCISessionBegin
    803603 Explorer
    Spot on. This fixed my problem.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points