9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2010 4:47 AM by 843790 RSS

get the mac addresses of the localhost

hi,
      i am trying to get all the mac address of the localhost network interfaces.
      here is my code. i don't seem to find what is wrong with it.

i will appreciate any help.
      thanks
      import java.net.InetAddress;
      import java.net.NetworkInterface;
      import java.net.SocketException;
      import java.net.UnknownHostException;

public class MAC {
           public static void main(String[] args) {
                try { 
                     InetAddress[] addrs = null;
                     if((addrs = InetAddress.getAllByName("localhost")) == null) System.exit(1);

NetworkInterface ni = null;
                     for(int i = 0; i < addrs.length; ++i) {
                          if((ni = NetworkInterface.getByInetAddress(addrs)) == null)      System.exit(2);

byte[] mac = null;
                          if((mac = ni.getHardwareAddress()) == null) System.exit(3);

System.out.println(addrs[i]);
                          System.out.println(new String(mac));
                     }
                }
                catch(UnknownHostException e) { System.out.println(e.getMessage()); }
                catch(SocketException e) { System.out.println(e.getMessage()); }
           }
      }
      Edited by: BigJ___ on Sep 9, 2010 2:44 AM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
        • 1. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
          Could you describe what the problem is?

The first thing I see is "new String(mac)". It's definitely not what you want, as the byte-array doesn't contain text data. You'll need to convert each byte to a hex string, if you want to achieve the common way of printing a mac address.
          • 2. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
            here is more readable version of the code
            import java.net.InetAddress;
            import java.net.NetworkInterface;
            import java.net.SocketException;
            import java.net.UnknownHostException;

public class MAC {
                 public static void main(String[] args) {
                      try { 
                           InetAddress[] addrs = InetAddress.getAllByName("localhost");
                           if(addrs == null) {
                                System.err.println("code 1");
                                System.exit(1);
                           }

NetworkInterface ni = null;
                           for(int i = 0; i < addrs.length; ++i) {
                                ni = NetworkInterface.getByInetAddress(addrs);
                                if(ni == null) {
                                     System.err.println("code 2");
                                     System.exit(2);
                                }

byte[] mac = ni.getHardwareAddress();
                                if(mac == null) {
                                     System.err.println("code 3");
                                     System.exit(3);
                                }
                                System.out.println(addrs[i]);
                                System.out.println(new String(mac));
                           }
                      } catch(UnknownHostException e) {
                           System.out.println(e.getMessage());
                      } catch(SocketException e) {
                           System.out.println(e.getMessage());
                      }
                 }
            }

• 3. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
              thanks for your fast reply.
              the thing is, that the length of the byte's array is zero.

strange...
              have another idea?
              • 4. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
                BigJ___ wrote:
                Well, the interface that reacts to "localhost" is usually the loopback device, which doesn't have a MAC address, so that might be your reason.
                • 5. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
                  so how should i resolve the mac address of a network interface on the local machine?
                  • 6. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
                    JoachimSauer wrote:
                    BigJ___ wrote:
                    Well, the interface that reacts to "localhost" is usually the loopback device, which doesn't have a MAC address, so that might be your reason.
                    so how should i resolve the mac address of a network interface on the local machine?
                    • 7. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
                      EJP
                      You have 'resolved' it. You just haven't printed it correctly. It's not character data so you can't make a String out of it. Try new BigDecimal(mac).toHexString() or whatever it is.
                      • 8. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
                        ejp wrote:
                        You have 'resolved' it. You just haven't printed it correctly. It's not character data so you can't make a String out of it. Try new BigDecimal(mac).toHexString() or whatever it is.
                        i think that's how i should do it.
                        String macAddr = "";
                        for(int j = 0; j < mac.length; ++j)
                             macAddr += Integer.toHexString(mac[j] & 0xFF);
                        System.out.println(macAddr.toUpperCase());
                        but in my case, when specifying at the beginning of the code "localhost" the length of the byte's array is zero. whereas, when i specify the binding address of the network interface, the relevant mac address is returned.
                        • 9. Re: get the mac addresses of the localhost
                          EJP
                          I think you should read what's been posted here.