1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2010 8:06 AM by 800268 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Possible error in hash-algorithm for HashMap
        I wonder what the point is?

I had a problem with coding, I solved it myself, thanks to some hints I picked up from the replies, for which I like to thank everyone.

But why is everyone who replies on me so impolite?

I am raised up with the idea, that impoliteness only serves a purpose when someone is behaving bad.
        It must be that in this small part of the Java-community which was replying to my question, there must be some other opinion. Replies are not only impolite, but there are more occasions of ad homini in the replies.

Thanks for that lesson too. It changed my opinion a bit.

Regards
        Bert Verhees
        • 16. Re: Possible error in hash-algorithm for HashMap
          BertVerhees wrote:
          The point is you asked for advice and then discounted it because it didn't match your assumptions.
          Nobody was particularly impolite. Certainly no more impolite than dismissing several correct responses that practically handed you the answer on a golden platter just because they didn't match your intuitive assumptions. Sure, a little frustration came through, but that's understandable given your behavior.
          I am raised up with the idea, that impoliteness only serves a purpose when someone is behaving bad.
          It must be that in this small part of the Java-community which was replying to my question, there must be some other opinion. Replies are not only impolite, but there are more occasions of ad homini in the replies.
          There is not one ad hominem attack in the replies to you.
          • 17. Re: Possible error in hash-algorithm for HashMap
            BertVerhees wrote:

I had a problem with coding, I solved it myself, thanks to some hints I picked up from the replies, for which I like to thank everyone.

Thanks for that lesson too. It changed my opinion a bit.

Regards
            Bert Verhees
            Sorry if you feel like that. These are international technical forums, with technical discussions. Such discussions are usually rather straightforward and direct. There are several resons to that. E.g.
            Many of us aren't fluent in English, and don't know how to express everything.
            We are rather lazy, and don't want to write a whole essay each time we are answering a question.
            A short answer with only facts is usually better than a longer polite answer where you have to guess what the person really wants to say.

I.e a short answer that might look impolite, might only be a short answer with only facts. Nothing else, don't try to read between the lines :)
            • 18. Re: Possible error in hash-algorithm for HashMap
              EJP
              I had a problem with coding, I solved it myself, thanks to some hints I picked up from the replies
              (a) You didn't 'solve it yourself': you were told the answer.
              (b) They weren't just 'hints'. They were the answer. Hash tables have collisions and chains of entries to deal with them. You were told that several times. That's it. That's the answer. There,is no other answer. Nothing to 'solve yourself'.
              I am raised up with the idea
              I was raised with the idea that you don't claim credit for what other people have told you.
              • 19. Re: Possible error in hash-algorithm for HashMap
                My dear friend,

You were not here how I solved this problem with the help of others. The truth is, id did, I learned myself what my misunderstanding was by stepping through the code, and afterwards, when I understood, I was able to see that others were already tellling me.

That is a quit normal learning-process, it happens many times like that, I am a teacher, and I see this many times.
                But never, in the contrary to what I saw in this occasion here, I am harsh against someone because he is stuck in a way of thinking. That can happen to anyone.

I think, what happened here was a communication-misunderstanding, I was having a problem, and although, I had learned about data-structures, quite some years ago, this detail, about hashmaps, this essential detail, had fallen out of my mind. Therefore I also did not understand well what the debugger was telling me.
                What happened here was a harsh reaction, which accumulated emotions which were not helpful to solve this problem.

But now it is solved, and the case is cleared.

I will never forget how a hashmap works until the day I die, which is hopefully a long time ahead.
                And something I also learn, is to better trust an API which is essential and a long time on the market, and thus reviewed by thousands.

So thanks again for all your suggestions, they were surely helpful.

kind regards
                Bert Verhees
                • 20. Re: Possible error in hash-algorithm for HashMap
                  BertVerhees wrote:
                  My dear friend,

You were not here how I solved this problem with the help of others. The truth is, id did, I learned myself what my misunderstanding was by stepping through the code, and afterwards, when I understood, I was able to see that others were already tellling me.
                  You were told the answer in reply 3 and reply 4, and you flat-out rejected the answer that was given to you in reply 4.
                  But never, in the contrary to what I saw in this occasion here, I am harsh against someone because he is stuck in a way of thinking. That can happen to anyone.
                  Of course, but when common sense tells you that you must be misunderstanding something, and when someone who you approach because you recognize they have more expertise tells you exactly what the answer is, and then you reject it, that is not normal, and it is justifiable for the person who provided the answer to become frustrated. In any case, nobody here was particularly harsh to you.
                  I think, what happened here was a communication-misunderstanding, I was having a problem, and although, I had learned about data-structures, quite some years ago, this detail, about hashmaps, this essential detail, had fallen out of my mind. Therefore I also did not understand well what the debugger was telling me.
                  What happened here was a harsh reaction, which accumulated emotions which were not helpful to solve this problem.
                  No, what happened was that you rejected the answers of those who have more expertise than you just because they required you to question your own assumptions.
                  And something I also learn, is to better trust an API which is essential and a long time on the market, and thus reviewed by thousands.
                  That is a very good lesson indeed. Not that the API is flawless. It has lots of bugs. But when something has been publicly available for so long, whatever bugs it has will likely be corner cases, not glaring failures that make it worthless for even the most common use case.
                  So thanks again for all your suggestions, they were surely helpful.
                  You're welcome, and please realize that there's no ill will intended here, only that you actually investigate the advice given before rejecting it out of hand. Learning when to not get stuck in your assumptions is probably the best lesson you could take from this thread. Good luck!
                  1 2 Previous Next