This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2010 3:12 AM by EJP RSS

Connection Refused

843793 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I have compiled my RMI code on JDK 1.6.0_20 and the code was working fine. I moved my code to a linux environment with jdk1.6.0_02 and also worked well. However I moved my .class files to an another linux environment with JRE 1.5.0_16-b02 it gave me the following error

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

AND I downloaded JRE 1.6.0_21 and when I ran I gave the {FILE PATH}/java ..... COMMAND then it gave me an error saying

Server registration failed_ Error: java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 127.0.0.1; nested exception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
  • 1. Re: Connection Refused
    EJP Guru
    See item [A.1 in the RMI FAQ|http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/faq.html#domain].
  • 2. Re: Connection Refused
    843793 Newbie
    Hi,

The A.1 in the RMI FAQ. talk about when I am trying to look up an exported object in a different host. But the issue that I have is when I am trying to export the object.
  • 3. Re: Connection Refused
    EJP Guru
    It's impossible to tell without the entire strack trace, but it looks to me more like it happened when you were trying to bind* the object into the Registry. In which case the explanation is simply that the Registry isn't running.
  • 4. Re: Connection Refused
    843793 Newbie
    Hi,

Most of the things I manged to sort out. However, Now that I have up my registry and and server program (exports only one Object) on 10.0.0.183:1099 and then I tried to start the Client which exports 10 Objects I started them on 10.0.0.182 and I am getting the following error.

+[globus@node182 ART]$ java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:+
    java.rmi.AccessException: Registry.Registry.rebind disallowed; origin /10.0.0.182 is non-local host

MY CODE IS LIKE BELOW:
    *try {*+
    Client_Interface stub = (Client_Interface) UnicastRemoteObject.exportObject(oClient, 0);+
    Registry registry = LocateRegistry.getRegistry(oClient.registryHost);+
    registry.rebind(o_Host+"Client_Obj" + oClient.i_ClientID, stub);+
    System.out.println("Client instance " + iID + " Created");+

+*} catch (Exception e) {*+
    System.out.println(e);+
    *}*

oClient.registryHost = 10.0.0.183
  • 5. Re: Connection Refused
    EJP Guru
    An RMI Registry can only accept bindings from processes running in the same host.

Why do your clients need to bind in the Registry at all? Normally they just supply their remote objects to the server when registering callbacks, via a remote method call.
  • 6. Re: Connection Refused
    843793 Newbie
    Hi

So you mean if I only export the Client Object to the Registry that is on 10.0.0183 i do not need to bind it? and Can the server or any local program look up for the Clients exported object on 10.0.0.83.

A note on my architecture...

SERVER > HAS 10 CLIENTS REPORTING
    EACH CLIENT WILL HAVE > 5 SLAVES REPORTING

IF SO?
    try {
    Client_Interface stub = (Client_Interface) UnicastRemoteObject.exportObject(oClient, 0);
    System.out.println("Client instance " iID " Created");

} catch (Exception e) {
    System.out.println(e);
    }
  • 7. Re: Connection Refused
    EJP Guru
    Your terminology is incorrect and this is adding to the confusion.

1. Constructing a class that extends UnicastRemoteObject constitutes exporting it. If it doesn't extend UnicastRemoteObject, calling UnicastRemoteObject.exportObject() constitutes exporting it. This has nothing to do with the Registry.

2. Putting an object into the Registry is called +'binding'.+ You only need to do this for remote objects that can't be accessed any other way. Specifically, the first* one that is used by a client. After that, the remote object can accept other remote objects as parameters or return them as results, and so on recursively forever.

3. Clients that export remote objects are usually providing callbacks, and they can be registered with the server as parameters of a remote method call to the server:
    // The client's remote object implements something like this ...
    public interface Callback extends Remote
    {
      void callMeBack(...) throws RemoteException;
    }

// The server implements something like this ...
    public interface RegisterCallback extends Remote
    {
      void registerCallback(Callback callback) throws RemoteException;
    }

// the client get the server object out of the Registry, creates its callback, and registers it with the server:
    server.registerCallback(myCallback);
    If on the other hand this isn't your architecture, your clients aren't really clients at all, they are more servers, and if they need to be looked up in a Registry you will need to run an RMI Registry on each such client host. This is very unusual.

Not knowing what a 'slave' means in your context I can't comment further.
  • 8. Re: Connection Refused
    843793 Newbie
    So in short, I cannot export an object and bind to same to a registry that is running in another machine?
  • 9. Re: Connection Refused
    EJP Guru
    So in short, I cannot export an object and bind to same to a registry that is running in another machine?
    You cannot bind to a registry that is running in another machine.
  • 10. Re: Connection Refused
    843793 Newbie
    what if I use the CodeBase property and keep all the .class in the same machine as the registry is running?
  • 11. Re: Connection Refused
    EJP Guru
    You cannot bind to a Registry that is running in another machine.

Exporting has nothing to do with it.

The codebase feature has nothing to do with it either.