This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2008 12:16 AM by 843793 RSS

how to determine actual type of a generic

843793 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm using java 6, and I have a TypeMirror that represents the the type java.util.List<Foo>
How do I extract the information that the list of of type Foo ?
I've looked through the javadoc, and tried a bunch of things, but I can't figure this out.
  • 1. Re: how to determine actual type of a generic
    608410 Newbie
    driver8 wrote:
    I'm using java 6, and I have a TypeMirror that represents the the type java.util.List<Foo>
    I've looked through the javadoc, and tried a bunch of things, but I can't figure this out.
    In this case the TypeMirror should be a DeclaredType (check using getKind())

cast it to a DeclaredType which has a method getTypeArguments() which is what you are after.

Bruce
  • 2. Re: how to determine actual type of a generic
    843793 Newbie
    Thanks, that worked.

Is there any way to get the actual type (ArrayList)
    of a field declared like the following:

class foo {
    private List fooField = new ArrayList();
    }

Edited by: driver8 on Nov 25, 2008 5:02 PM
  • 3. Re: how to determine actual type of a generic
    608410 Newbie
    If you are using Sun's javac, then the APIs are documented at [http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/javac/index.html]

In particular Trees can convert from Element (which you have), across to the (non standardised) Comiler Tree API from which you can look at the initializer expression for the variable declarion. Note however that it may be more complex than just a simple instantiation and that it will not work if for example you run an annotation processor in Eclipse which uses their internal compiler.
  • 4. Re: how to determine actual type of a generic
    843793 Newbie
    brucechapman wrote:
    driver8 wrote:
    In this case the TypeMirror should be a DeclaredType (check using getKind())

cast it to a DeclaredType which has a method getTypeArguments() which is what you are after.
    A technique is more verbose but avoids the explicit cast would be to use a TypeVisitor.