This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 1:08 PM by 975574 RSS

Unable to change cache location in Windows 7 RC 64-bit

843798 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I couldn't find the information anywhere so I hope you can help me.

I just installed Java 6 Update 14 on a fresh 64-bit Windows 7 RC installation and would like to change the location of the cache for the temporary internet files, unfortunately it will not let me do this as the change box is grayed out in the control panel. My user type is Administrator so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Paul

Edited by: paulgj on Jul 23, 2009 12:05 AM
  • 1. Re: Unable to change cache location in Windows 7 RC 64-bit
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Might help to describe in more detail.

On my box (not win 7) I see the following
    control panel => java
    java => "settings" button (under 'Temporary Internet Files' box)
    "settings => "Temporary Files Setting" dialog
    1. "Keep temporary files on my computer" is checked (if not checked then everything is grey.)
    2. There is a 'Location' box with a "Change..." button.
    3. "Change.." button => Directory selection box.

So how is your different from the above?
  • 2. Re: Unable to change cache location in Windows 7 RC 64-bit
    843798 Newbie
    actually mine is the same as yours, the Keep temporary files on my computer box is checked, the dialog shows the current location of the cache along with a change button which is light blue (disabled)
  • 3. Re: Unable to change cache location in Windows 7 RC 64-bit
    843798 Newbie
    Hi Paul,

I ran into the same problem. I found out how to fix it: just set javacpl.exe (in the installed folder/bin) to be run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service 3.

Hope this help.
    Manh Hoa Le
  • 4. Re: Unable to change cache location in Windows 7 RC 64-bit
    975574 Newbie
    The JRE cache directory can no longer be changed within the Java Control Panel. The Change button has been disabled under 'Java Control Panel' -> 'General' (tab) -> 'Settings' -> 'Location'.

The default cache is set to a low-integrity directory under the users home, i.e. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache.

Users wishing to change the cache location must do so through the deployment.properties file. (At the user level, this is located at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties)

For information on updating the deployment.properties file, please reference the 'Deployment Configuration File and Properties' document on the Sun web site at:

[http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/deployment/deployment-guide/properties.html]