This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2010 12:07 PM by 667384 RSS

Unable to get annotations for method arguments on overriding subclasses

667384 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,
I'm implementing a JSR-303 aspect that intercepts calls to my data access tier and my business tier to validate input before the target method is invoked. I have the following annotation.
@Documented
@Target({ PARAMETER })
@Retention(RUNTIME)
public @interface Check {

Class<?>[] groups() default { };

}
Here is my abstract class
public abstract class BaseJdoDao<EntityType extends Entity<KeyType>, KeyType>
          extends JdoDaoSupport implements IBaseDao<EntityType, KeyType> {

@Override
     public void save(@Check EntityType model) {
          Assert.notNull(model);
          this.getJdoTemplate().makePersistent(model);

}
And it's subclass

@Repository
public class SpiderUpdateDao extends BaseJdoDao<SpiderUpdate, UUID> implements
          ISpiderUpdateDao {

/*
      * (non-Javadoc)
      * @see
      * com.spidertracks.aviator.dataaccess.IBaseDao#save(com.spidertracks.aviator
      * .model.Entity)
      */
     @Override
     public void save(@Check SpiderUpdate model) {
          super.save(model);
          cleanSearchIndex(model);
          writeSearchIndex(model);

}
Now, when I get a Method instance off the class SpiderUpdateDao with the following call
targetMethod = runtimeClass.getMethod(sig.getName(), sig.getParameterTypes());
I'm returned a Method instance on class SpiderUpdateDao that points to the method above. Then, when I call this method
Annotation[][] annotations = targetMethod.getParameterAnnotations();
I'm returned 1 element in the first dimension, and 0 elements in the second dimension. As you can clearly see, my subclass is annotated. I know that annotations aren't inherited by default, so I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that if a user explicitly annotates a subclass's overriding method, I would still be able to retrieve those annotations. Is this not the case? If not, how do I go about getting these annotations at run time? I've also tried adding another annotation so the overriding method has 2 annotations on the parameters to test if it's an issue with the method signature being exactly the same as the parent class. Unfortunately I'm always returned 0 annotations in this case as well. How can I get the annotations on my class at runtime? As you can see, my annotation is set to have a run time retention. I'm running the latest JDK 1.6. I receive this behavior both on OS X 10.6 and on Ubuntu 10.04 with Sun JDK 1.6.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points