6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2009 1:31 PM by 843789 RSS

opening a .jar file.

Hello all!

I've ran into a little trouble opening a .jar file open.

it is in a folder in my desktop, called "gcode for reprap"

The file name is "repgcode-0.3.jar"

I have downloaded jdk 6 update 17 @ http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp

and installed it, into "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_17\bin"

My PATH (control panel>systems>advanced>environmental variables> path = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_17\bin) seems to be set up correctly.

I input the command, "java -jar repgcode-0.3.jar" into my cmd line.

The return message reads, "unable to access jarfile repgcode-0.3.jar"

Any help to get this kink sorted out would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: opening a .jar file.
          1) The CLASSPATH environment variable is ignored when you use java -jar
          2) The jar file used with java -jar must be specified though an absolute or relative path. No searching of classpaths is done.
          • 2. Re: opening a .jar file.
            How do I specify an absolute or relative path?

So frustrated. I'll paypal anybody $20 to get this this .jar file running on my computer. e-mail me at andrewjbae@hotmail.com

Edited by: brickbatbae on Dec 23, 2009 11:50 PM

Edited by: brickbatbae on Dec 24, 2009 12:19 AM
            • 3. Re: opening a .jar file.
              It will be something like
              java -jar "\Documents and Settings\brickbatbae\Desktop\gcode for reprap\repgcode-0.3.jar"
              There really should have been usage instructions with the .jar file. You can't really just throw these things at a Java runtime (once you've figured out how to throw them) and hope for the best.
              • 4. Re: opening a .jar file.
                Yes! I as able to access the .jar file! but...I recieved an error message!!!

After running

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Bae>java -jar "C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew
                Bae\Desktop\gcode for reprap/repgcode-0.3.jar"

I recieve this error message:

Exception in thread "G-code for RepRap" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/io/C
                ommPortIdentifier
                at com.chrismeighan.repgcode.GCodeCommunicator.<init>(GCodeCommunicator.
                java:43)
                at com.chrismeighan.repgcode.Main.initialiseComms(Main.java:168)
                at com.chrismeighan.repgcode.Main.loadPreferences(Main.java:638)
                at com.chrismeighan.repgcode.Main.<init>(Main.java:136)
                at com.chrismeighan.repgcode.Main.main(Main.java:123)
                Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier
                at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
                at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
                at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
                at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
                at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
                at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
                ... 5 more

A buddy of mine said he just ran a batch file that came with the program. But when viewing the batch file in notepad, it's a simple,

"java -jar %~dp0repgcode-0.3.jar"

which obviously didn't work.

This is really killing me. Any help would really prevent me from jumping off a bridge :)

Thanks again, guys, who helped me out. one step at a time!

Edited by: brickbatbae on Dec 24, 2009 1:43 AM
                • 5. Re: opening a .jar file.
                  Looks to me like the manifest file does not define the class path attribute to include the jar file containing the jar containing the class gnu/io/CommPortIdentifier. What is the content of your manifest file?
                  • 6. Re: opening a .jar file.
                    If you have an archive manager like WinRAR, you can open the jar file, browse to the META-INF folder, and edit the manifest there. It should have a line like "Main-Class: gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier". Also hit enter and return to the beginning of the next line.
                    brickbatbae wrote:
                    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier
                    I find that interesting. It could mean that java cannot find the file that is supposed to be run, or that it doesn't exist.