1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2009 4:13 PM by 843789 RSS

Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question

Hi can you please explain the areas I have crossed blue (in the attached image) as Im not quite confident in my understanding of this ...heres what I understand it to be...

[http://www.djayjj.com/java_q.jpg]

These numerics (memory address #) represent the reference to the instance (object) called Shirt with the Myshirt object variable holding the reference to this object, this is used to access the object attributes using the dot notation. the rest I understand 100% just this I keep getting confused on for some reason..

Have I got that right ?

Thanks

Lee
        • 1. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
          You don't really expect anyone to follow that link, do you?
          • 2. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
            DrClap
            Besides you've already had a discussion on JavaRanch about exactly this topic. Why are you ignoring that and starting from scratch here?
            • 3. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
              yes ...whats the big deal ? I gotta question wants an answer so I guess I want an answer and not a comment thanks
              • 4. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                Dr Clap can u answer this question ? or just want to make a comment that amounts to zip ? I can post this on as many forums as I want until I get the answer Im looking for or I am satisfied with...you understand me ? also please both of you dont bother answering if its going to be another double act ..Im here to illicit information for my school project and consider this the best place to be to achieve that and welcome all sensible replys.

Thank you.
                • 5. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                  liquidproject wrote:
                  Dr Clap can u answer this question ? or just want to make a comment that amounts to zip ? I can post this on as many forums as I want until I get the answer Im looking for or I am satisfied with...you understand me ?
                  You can read what Javaranch nicely says about your attitude: BeForthrightWhenCrossPostingToOtherSites
                  also please both of you dont bother answering if its going to be another double act ..Im here to illicit information for my school project and consider this the best place to be to achieve that and welcome all sensible replys.
                  Or you can read what I have to say: Please go fck yourself.
                  Thank you.
                  You're entirely welcome.
                  • 6. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                    Encephalopathic wrote:
                    liquidproject wrote:
                    Dr Clap can u answer this question ? or just want to make a comment that amounts to zip ? I can post this on as many forums as I want until I get the answer Im looking for or I am satisfied with...you understand me ?
                    You can read what Javaranch nicely says about your attitude: BeForthrightWhenCrossPostingToOtherSites
                    also please both of you dont bother answering if its going to be another double act ..Im here to illicit information for my school project and consider this the best place to be to achieve that and welcome all sensible replys.
                    Or you can read what I have to say: Please go fck yourself.
                    Thank you.
                    You're entirely welcome.
                    Haha, you saved my day ^^
                    • 7. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                      Dr Clap can u answer this question ?
                      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#writewell

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
                      Eric Steven Raymond
                      Rick Moen

Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language

We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding (often enough to bet on, anyway). Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding; we'd rather spend our time elsewhere.

So expressing your question clearly and well is important. If you can't be bothered to do that, we can't be bothered to pay attention. Spend the extra effort to polish your language. It doesn't have to be stiff or formal - in fact, hacker culture values informal, slangy and humorous language used with precision. But it has to be precise; there has to be some indication that you're thinking and paying attention.

Spell, punctuate, and capitalize correctly. Don't confuse "its" with "it's", "loose" with "lose", or "discrete" with "discreet". Don't TYPE IN ALL CAPS; this is read as shouting and considered rude. (All-smalls is only slightly less annoying, as it's difficult to read. Alan Cox can get away with it, but you can't.)

More generally, if you write like a semi-literate b o o b you will very likely be ignored. So don't use instant-messaging shortcuts. Spelling "you" as "u" makes you look like a semi-literate b o o b to save two entire keystrokes.
                      • 8. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                        Ivan Jozsef Balazs at 15yrs old and currently being eductated in a European Grammar School I probably have more control over the English language than you ever had and are ever likely to get ..perhaps you should pass this information to members of your family and friends as I have kindly passed it back to you right here ...in future keep your facetious garbage to yourself
                        • 9. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                          yeh Trollhorn and as you know yourself you need every miserable day you got saving ...lol
                          • 10. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                            I wasnt aware of that thanks for pointing it out ....however with reference to your own advice looks like you need it more than me ...so as your so smart and all ...lol
                            • 11. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                              ...in future keep your facetious garbage to yourself
                              You don't have more control over who is posting what here than my humble self (whether being eductated in a European Grammar School or not.)

If you have so much control over the English language, than it is even more shame for you to deliberately post with crippled spelling.

And drawing family and friends here non est de gustibus.

I suggest you to check out this:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#not_losing

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
                              Eric Steven Raymond
                              Rick Moen

On Not Reacting Like A Loser
                              • 12. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                                http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#courtesy

Courtesy never hurts, and sometimes helps

Be courteous. Use ?Please? and ?Thanks for your attention? or ?Thanks for your consideration?. Make it clear you appreciate the time people spend helping you for free.

To be honest, this isn't as important as (and cannot substitute for) being grammatical, clear, precise and descriptive, avoiding proprietary formats etc.; hackers in general would rather get somewhat brusque but technically sharp bug reports than polite vagueness. (If this puzzles you, remember that we value a question by what it teaches us.)

However, if you've got your technical ducks in a row, politeness does increase your chances of getting a useful answer.

(We must note that the only serious objection we've received from veteran hackers to this HOWTO is with respect to our previous recommendation to use ?Thanks in advance?. Some hackers feel this connotes an intention not to thank anybody afterwards. Our recommendation is to either say ?Thanks in advance? first and thank respondents afterwards, or express courtesy in a different way, such as by saying ?Thanks for your attention? or ?Thanks for your consideration?.)
                                • 13. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                                  liquidproject wrote:
                                  I wasnt aware of that thanks for pointing it out ....however with reference to your own advice looks like you need it more than me ...so as your so smart and all ...lol
                                  Do you expect people to help you if you have that attitude?
                                  • 14. Re: Newb Java Object Reference Variable Question
                                    liquidproject wrote:
                                    Ivan Jozsef Balazs at 15yrs old and currently being eductated in a European Grammar School I probably have more control over the English language than you ever had and are ever likely to get ..perhaps you should pass this information to members of your family and friends as I have kindly passed it back to you right here ...in future keep your facetious garbage to yourself
                                    There's no "probably" about it. You don't. I count 6 errors in your first post alone. I don't usually involve myself in grammar nazism, but when some jumped-up little turd decides to play the "grammar school" card in response to some perfectly sound advice, I don't know, something changes. At 15 years old, I'd have hoped you could curtail your pubescent rage just a little by now. Pity. As for wanting an answer and not a comment, well, your sense of entitlement is pretty typical of the spoilt teenager. How does it feel to be utterly typical?
                                    1 2 Previous Next