1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2008 8:46 AM by 843785 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Storing String
        calypso wrote:
        The end result is a wordlist for password recovery, another program will be able to access this wordlist and check each string in the wordlist for matches.

Each string represents 10 alphanumeric characters ie "AAAAAAAAAA"

Thanks

Calypso
        And why can't you store it in one file? The application accessing the word list shouldn't load the entire list, but read a fixed number of words, do something with it, and then move on the the next few words in the file... until it reaches the end.
        Of course, you could also write 1000 words to a file and the next 1000 to a new file.
        • 16. Re: Storing String
          JosAH
          prometheuzz wrote:
          Why are you storing them?
          Good question; it's much easier to enumerate all possible strings up to a certain length; and it saves a bit of hard disk space as well ...

kind regards,

Jos
          • 17. Re: Storing String
            Its fine having all the strings in one file, its just that I estimate that the file will be roughly 40gb when the program finishes. I was therefore wandering if anyone new of any tips to reduce the file space.
            JosAH wrote:t's much easier to enumerate all possible strings up to a certain length
            Sorry im not familar with enumerate please could you explain this in a bit more basic terms.

Thanks

Calypso
            • 18. Re: Storing String
              calypso wrote:
              JosAH wrote:t's much easier to enumerate all possible strings up to a certain length
              Sorry im not familar with enumerate please could you explain this in a bit more basic terms.
              Write some code that will, on the fly (or, in common forum parlance, "dynamically at run time") generate all possible string combinations up to a certain length. Starting at A, and working through to ZZZZZZZZZZ, for example, and everything in between. Not particularly tricky, or time-consuming
              • 19. Re: Storing String
                georgemc wrote:Write some code that will, on the fly (or, in common forum parlance, "dynamically at run time") generate all possible string combinations up to a certain length. Starting at A, and working through to ZZZZZZZZZZ, for example, and everything in between. Not particularly tricky, or time-consuming
                This is exactly the code that i do have
                • 20. Re: Storing String
                  JosAH
                  calypso wrote:
                  georgemc wrote:Write some code that will, on the fly (or, in common forum parlance, "dynamically at run time") generate all possible string combinations up to a certain length. Starting at A, and working through to ZZZZZZZZZZ, for example, and everything in between. Not particularly tricky, or time-consuming
                  This is exactly the code that i do have
                  Now you can feed that 'string generator' to the other part of your program that wants to read those Strings; have a look at the PipedWriter and PipedReader classes.

kind regards,

Jos
                  • 21. Re: Storing String
                    JosAH wrote:Now you can feed that 'string generator' to the other part of your program that wants to read those Strings; have a look at the PipedWriter and PipedReader classes.
                    Thanks JosAH, but the thing is I have not written the other program which takes the wordlist as an input. Will the PipedWriter still work/PipedReader still work?
                    • 22. Re: Storing String
                      JosAH
                      calypso wrote:
                      JosAH wrote:Now you can feed that 'string generator' to the other part of your program that wants to read those Strings; have a look at the PipedWriter and PipedReader classes.
                      Thanks JosAH, but the thing is I have not written the other program which takes the wordlist as an input. Will the PipedWriter still work/PipedReader still work?
                      Sure, if your String generating program part just depends on a Writer and your other (still non-existing) part depends on a Reader, both PipedWriter and PipedReader could be a valid option. Your string generator writes to a Writer and you other program part reads from a Reader. No file storage involved ...

kind regards,

Jos
                      1 2 Previous Next