7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2009 1:52 AM by 843802 RSS

JSAPI : Problems with the speech recognition HelloWorld example

I just started off with JSAPI. And I immediately ran into problems. These are the configurations and the stuff I did:

My system:
      JDK: JDK 6 Update 10
      IDE: Netbeans 6.0

I downloaded the FreeTTS.zip from the FreeTTS site [http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php] . I expanded it and in the lib folder I ran the jsapi.exe and as a result jsapi.jar war generated.

I included this jar in my project lib as jar.

Then I copy pasted HelloWorld speech recognition example code given in the site : [http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/speech/forDevelopers/jsapi-guide/Recognition.html#11644]

First it gave a compile time error that
      rec.deallocate();
      throws an exception which needs to be handled. Accordingly I surrounded it with a try catch block and caught the exceptions in the manner given below:
         try{
               rec.deallocate();
                          System.exit(0);
                      } catch (EngineException ex) {
                          Logger.getLogger(HelloWorld.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
                      } catch (EngineStateError ex) {
                          Logger.getLogger(HelloWorld.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
                      }

Now the code was compiling without problems.

When I executed the code a runtime exception (NullPointerException) was thrown at the line
            rec.allocate();  
      in the psvm(String args[])

Can anybody please explain to me where I am going wrong? Or is there something more that needs to be added in the code?

Anxiously waiting to hear from your end.

Thanks and regards,
        • 1. Re: JSAPI : Problems with the speech recognition HelloWorld example
          Hi All,

I am using following code
          import javax.speech.*;
          import javax.speech.synthesis.*;
          import java.util.Locale;

public class HelloWorld {
               public static void main(String args[]) {
                    try {
                         // Create a synthesizer for English

Synthesizer synth = Central.createSynthesizer(
                              new SynthesizerModeDesc(Locale.ENGLISH));
                                     synth.waitEngineState(Synthesizer.ALLOCATED);
                         //Synthesizer synth = Central.createSynthesizer (null);

// Get it ready to speak
                         synth.allocate();
                         synth.resume();

// Speak the "Hello world" string
                         synth.speakPlainText("Hello, world!", null);

// Wait till speaking is done
                         synth.waitEngineState(Synthesizer.QUEUE_EMPTY);

// Clean up
                         synth.deallocate();
                    } catch (Exception e) {
                         e.printStackTrace();
                    }
               }
          }
          and i am also getting following error
          java.lang.NullPointerException
                  at HelloWorld.main(HelloWorld.java:18)
          My class path is set to
          jsapi.jar (extracted from freetts 1.2.1)
          freetts.jar

Please i didn't find any solution from past replies so please do help me someone to solve this...

Thanking You....
          • 2. Re: JSAPI : Problems with the speech recognition HelloWorld example
            Hi guys, Since you are all using FTTS, you have to set the class path correctly for jsapi to run your program.
            So, it seems you are beginner of JSAPI. If so, then i advice you to use CloudsGardans JSAPI. It doesnt want any manual class path setting. Just install it, and all your examples program will work.
            [Dont worry because, its a trial version. I know the way to extend its trial period, so that it wont end]
            • 3. Re: JSAPI : Problems with the speech recognition HelloWorld example
              can you please tell me the way to extend cloudgarden trial to full version.
              • 4. Re: JSAPI : Problems with the speech recognition HelloWorld example
                hai all,
                adding jsapi.jar is not sufficient!
                u have to add all the jar files from the lib directory under freetts,
                i worked out successfully, u can find the sample code and clear explanation in this thread
                http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5366942&tstart=0

Edited by: vijay.katta on Feb 19, 2009 2:23 PM
                • 5. Re: JSAPI : Problems with the speech recognition HelloWorld example
                  We've had the same problem. Has anyone responded with a solution that works? Let me know, I'd be very grateful. thanks! [Resume Templates|http://www.resumetemplates-usa.com/resume-templates/]
                  • 6. Re: JSAPI : Problems with the speech recognition HelloWorld example
                    FleurB wrote:
                    We've had the same problem. Has anyone responded with a solution that works? Let me know, I'd be very grateful. thanks!
                    Don't link spam. I'm blocking your post.
                    • 7. Re: JSAPI : Problems with the speech recognition HelloWorld example
                      FreeTTS is a speech synthesizer and does not include a speech recognizer.