This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2008 3:59 PM by 843810 RSS

Java (JRE) won't install??

843810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
While visiting a site, the java applet, on the site would not run. Further browing discoverd that I needed an updated version of the JRE. Having had problems with Java, in the past, I removed my old version before installing the new version.

MSIEXEC.EXE logged the removal of the old version.

FIRST TRY: attempted the "online" install version. After downloading NOTHING happened. Lots of disk activity, but no installation program was run. NO errors were displayed. Tried this twice, same results.

SECOND TRY: downloaded the file for manual install. Download went fine, no problems. Closed browser, ran installation program. AGAIN lots of disk activity (unpacking files?). Same results as before, i.e. no installation program appeared and no errors were reported.

Third tries and onward: Re-downloaded the files from different locations, on the possibility that the files were corrupted some how. All files were the same and were checked to be true copies.

Some snooping around led me to find that the disk activity was caused by the file unpacking an MSI file. Attempted to run the MSI file. It failed, with this error:

*** Begin Quote ****
This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package.
**** End Quote ****

Fisrt Question: (Obviously) why won't the installation progam run?

Second Question: has support for win 9x been dropped?

Hope someone here has an answer. because this one has me stumpted.

Bill
  • 1. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    796365 Newbie
    98 SE was still supported about 6 months ago. You can read the Installation instructions for whatever you're downloading, it has links to supported configurations. Older versions may be what you need.
  • 2. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    Quote from MSIEVENT.LOG:

**** Begin Quote ****

12/10/06 8:31:54 (Info ) Product: J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6 -- Removal completed successfully.

**** End Quote ****

I've read every one of the installation configuration instructions. None of them were of any help. Also, I've booted to a "clean" system with nothing running but explorer and systray. It made no difference. My Firewall allowed them access during file extraction, as they requested a link to the Java site. For reasons unknown to me. (version check?)

I'll see if I can relocate the vesion I un-installed and see if it will go back.

Bill
  • 3. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    With reference to your suggestion that I try an older version? I went to the Java Archives and found version 6 and downloaded it again. The online file would NOT run, same as before, i.e. lots of disk activity but nothing happens, no error messages.

HOWEVER, the full installation package ran just fine and I now have JAVA back on my system. Yea! Being successful with that I decided to try to step my way up to version 9. So I downloaded versions 7 and 8, I already had version 9!

SUCCESS, version 7 installed just fine no problems no erros.

Not much luck with version 8! Neither the online or full version would install on my system. Even trying to update to the latest version, via the Java Cpl doesn't work. It offers me version 9. BUT, when you click on the "install" button, I get an error:

**** Begin Quote ****

Installation of update to the Java(TM) Platform was not completed.

**** End Quote ****

Also, I noticed this just now. The versions displayed in the file browser (icon view) are different for versions 8 and 9. Versions 6 and seven have a (description) gray square with and arrow / pointer. Versions 8 and 9 have the standard Java icon. If I'm remebering correctly the "gray" icon represents an installer (wrapper) program (Install Sheild?)!?!

Did someone forget to add the "wrapper" on versions 8 & 9? The latest version of MSIEXEC.EXE (v3.0) supports this under Windows 2000 and XP. But the version of MSIEXEC.EXE (2.0.2600.2), for Windows 9x, does not support direct execution of MSI files without the basic information needed by Win9x systems.

Also, please note that the automatic notification of availability of updates to the Java JRE is disabled (greyed out) in my current version (v7) of the control panel.

It appears that there has been a change in the way the JRE is installed in version 8 & 9. BUT, there is no mention of this in the bug / features list for either of those updates. That's just an educate W.A.G. on my part. But it does appear to be true. Don't know if there is a solution to this or not?

Bill
  • 4. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's fixed! After doing a lot of digging and research, I discovered that Sun went to a MSI install system. Which is how MS wants everyone to install applications INTO Windows. The conversion from an installer package to an MSI install occurred around version 8.

I found that I could NOT install ANY MSI file. OK, so I go get the MSI Installer program, from MS, and re-install, right? NOPE? The MSI installer program, from MS, runs and promptly says it's already installed! Oops!

There was no way to remove the old program, and there was no way to install it, like a new install. There are NO command line switches, to override the installation. Seemed like a dead end, to me.

After searching the Sun and MS sites for a long time, and NOT finding anything along these lines I was about ready to give up and do a "wipe and re-install". FINALLY, my brain kicked in and remembered an old trick from long ago.

I just renamed the MSI installer program (MSIEXEC.EXE) to and ".old" file extension and it worked, i.e. I re-ran the MSI installer program, this time it worked just fine. I then installed the latest JRE and everything is fine now.

Now, what corrupted my install for the MSIEXEC.EXE program? Your guess is as good as mine. But, after reading more than 2,000+ message entries on, both the SUN and MS sites, with not one reference to this problem or anything similar! I've come to the conclusion that MS isn't as knowledgeable as they'd like us to think. About their own programs.

If such a simple solution, referencing what I did to correct the issue, was known to MS, you'd have thought that they would have published such a solution by now. The "trick" of renaming a file has been around since the start of computing. Which, to be honest, means that I'm getting slower in my old age. :)

Bill
  • 5. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    Dude you are a freakin genius. You rock. I bow down to you. Sun Microsystems should bow down to you. Microsoft should bow down to you. They should both be paying you for doing their jobs.

I have been dealing with the exact same problem for well over a year now. The problem started with update 8. No one at Sun or Micorosoft could tell me what the problem was.

I couldn't even install the most current version of Yahoo Messenger, because it requires the latest Java version. Yahoo had to send me three lower versions of Messenger until I found one that would install with update 7 of Java.

You should put this issue on a website of yours, because I know there has to be a lot more people dealing with this, and they obviously can't get the answers from the so called experts. It took me over a year just to find you and your resolution.

For others who are lucky enough to find this forum issue; I found the MSI installer program at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F. Scroll down toward the bottom until you get to the "InstMsiA.exe" listing. That is the file you need to download and run.

Thank you again. You are totally amazing. Lisa.
  • 6. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    I have been trying to install the latest command line programming JDK, Java SE 6 (any recently updated "subversion" so to say), and have found that the Microsoft Support, today, sent me to Sun and I presume Sun will send me to Microsoft (since, for now, I'm using Windows 98 SE "not supported" blahblahblah) -- Point: I was glad to find this thread x 1 googleplex.

But I don't know if by .old you mean change, literally, the name of the file (using DOS rename command? which I've done, nothing yet ecept message telling me I have to insert the last of the disks first?!?) to MSIEXEC.OLD -- or if by ".old" you meant something else, something prehensile or obsolete MSIEXEC.FOO, in other "words" -- which, if so, I need to know the actual real extension name/spelling of (unless you can draw me a picture.

I have no small amount of urgency wrapping this around my hypothalamus. Must have the command line prgramming tools -- the jdk -- installed. Can not fail. Therefore: thanks again for your help!

I don't know if the Sun forum this is on will inform me of a reply; please, if you have some anonymous way to send one to my email I'd really appreciate it: wdbrindle@gobi-igloo.com (I already get so much spam I don't mind posting that adress. Yours will be destroyed in a burst of atomic flame as soon as I get the Java SE 6 running the programs in Herbery Schildt's superbly written Java, The Complete Reference.) --A. Zope (I know this's way non-tech writing verbose, sorry.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 7. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    Hi Bill

I echo Lisa's comments - many thanks for your tip which solved my Java installation problem 100%.

Michael
  • 8. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    Hi Albie

I found the msiexec.exe file in /Windows/system folder and simply renamed it msiexec.old so that Windows Installer couldn't find it. I was then able to install a new, clean version of Windows Installer which then allowed the Java updater to install JRE5 properly.

Hope it works for you.

Michael
  • 9. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    I'm having the same problem, although the solution posted here does not work for me. When I rename msiexec.exe to something else, msiexec.exe reappears in a few seconds.

Furthermore, I cannot uninstall Java because it doesn't show up in add and remove programs.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
  • 10. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5299544
  • 11. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    I have the same problem - not sure what OS you guys are using, but I'm using WinXp - I have reformatted my machine 5 or 6 times to try and fix this, but even a fresh install doesn't help.
    I did what was suggested, by renaming msiexec to msiexec.old and then tried to download InstMsiA.exe as suggested, but it tells me I have the wrong OS for this product, and when I search one for WinXp, there doesn't appear to be one :(

Any help most appreciated - thanks.
  • 12. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    I have the same problem too. I have formatted and reinstalled twice. I have disabled every service possible and tried installing before I even put any security software on my system, and I still get this error. I have been searching for weeks now with no solution. It doesn't apply to just Java, but also OpenOffice. I have tried every solution I've come across and nothing works. I'm thinking it's a Windows Installer problem but have found nothing on Microsoft that worked for me.
  • 13. Re: Java (JRE) won't install??
    843810 Newbie
    Do a backup of the registy and assuming you have no installed Java or you have uninstalled them, then delete all JavaSoft reg key e.g. from HLM\Software & HCU\Software and try running the install again. It worked for me and hopefully it will for you too. Good luck :)